Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1951 John Deere B that will be making its way into the restoration thread soon. It has several issues that need attention. One of them is a compression leak around the flywheel side sparkplug. When rotating the engine by hand you can hear air wheezing out from around the plug. New plugs, plug gaskets, and switching the plugs has not fixed this. Everything seems fine looking into the hole. I've seen spark plug thread chasers withe a spring loaded seat cutter on them. Would that help? Any ideas?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Can't help ya but welcome to GTT ljones.
Someone will be along shortly that may be able to help.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

If you are restoring this tractor, I would remove the head and take it in to a machine shop. There's obviously a problem that a new plug/gasket can't fix. I highly recommend you don't run the engine with this problem. The hot combustion gasses can cut and erode making the problem worse. Are you sure it's not the manual decompression petcocks? What model tractor is it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a B. It's definitly from the plug. The tractor isn't running right now. The engine has already been refreshed by my grandpa when he had it. I was hoping to not have to take it back apart.

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
Taking the head off is really easy on these tractors, other than the weight. But in your case I believe the plugs are in the block, not the heads. It still sounds like the plug gasket mating surface will need to be spot faced by a machine shop. Of course I'm speculating at this point. I can't see your tractor. Can you post some pictures of the offending hole?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the plugs are in the block. They used to make a tool that chased the plug threads and had a cutter on it to resurface the seats but I can't find them anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts