Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I think decision time is here.... Try to look past the paint and such, Think of them on the machines themselves, to get an equivalent IR means the same money as the green one, and that being said, I just assume go with the Deere....Whatcha guys think:

IR 80 Gal from TSC:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/air-compressors-air-tools-accessories/air-compressors/80-gallon-2-stage-air-compressor-5-hp-3496129

MiTM/Deere:
http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/homeandworkshop/products/air_compressors/ac2_80es.html

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dave, I would really recommend this compressor which has a continuous duty motor. I have this same compresssor head on my IR T30 gas driven unit with absolutely no problems in 12 years. This has a higher capacity which you may not need but more importantly it is a heavy duty model that will last a long time.

Did you take the time to research the warranty on the motor for the Deere MTM unit? It isn't covered under the unit warranty.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...nd-80-gallon-two-stage-air-compressor-3452272

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. I did see that about the motor, wish I knew what brand it was...might have to call MiTM tomorrow. Speaking of motor, thats pretty much the reason I was thinking of upgrading from the 999.00 one at TSC to the Deere...I've seen a few posts on the interwebs about the emerson motor on that IR being cheap and not lasting.....So at that point....Is it worth just buying a Ridgid/Kobalt at Home Depot or Lowes and using the savings to buy a quart of JD Green paint? :laugh:

From a use perspective, I cant imagine "Maxing" one out....dont plan on doing any major sandblasting...can have it done for less...basically its a general shop duty machine....little impact wrenching, little this, little that...etc...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Dave,

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices shown. It is all about your type of usage. And you said you don't plan on sand blasting which would be the big drain on any unit. Painting is probably the next big air hog, but still does not compare to sand blasting. I do know Steve views things from his buisness stand point which is a different consideration. But, for the hobby shop any one of these will work and last. And quite honestly you should still be able to do SOME sand blasting with these. Just choose the proper nozzle size and you will be good to go, never say never Dave. :good2:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave,

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices shown. It is all about your type of usage. And you said you don't plan on sand blasting which would be the big drain on any unit. Painting is probably the next big air hog, but still does not compare to sand blasting. I do know Steve views things from his buisness stand point which is a different consideration. But, for the hobby shop any one of these will work and last. And quite honestly you should still be able to do SOME sand blasting with these. Just choose the proper nozzle size and you will be good to go, never say never Dave. :good2:
Whatcha think about goin with an even cheaper unit? Like this CH: http://www.lowes.com/pd_292655-1126-DP5810-Q_4294795218_4294937087_?productId=3111463&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Air%2BCompressors_4294795218_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1

I think it was Pete who said before....either you go with the cheapest or go full bore, being in the middle isnt worth it...

Never say never is correct...about the only blasting I can see doing is with a small benchtop cabinet...wayyyyyy cheaper for me to have it done, but for little onsie twosie things, I wouldnt mind having one. When I built a few AK's a while back I had no issue blasting with the 60 gal Single Stage I used. Painting...pretty sure I'm all set, I've have no probs with my 10 gal cheapie keeping up painting the projects I've done thus far...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Whatcha think about goin with an even cheaper unit? Like this CH: http://www.lowes.com/pd_292655-1126-DP5810-Q_4294795218_4294937087_?productId=3111463&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Air%2BCompressors_4294795218_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1

I think it was Pete who said before....either you go with the cheapest or go full bore, being in the middle isnt worth it...
Well, just my opinion (not worth much), I myself tend to go for the more expensive units. I maybe delusional but I am one that feels you get what you pay for. That is not to say this economy priced unit won't do the job for you. Again, intended use, only you can answer that one. I don't like paying a second time for early repairs or upgrades. God knows I have done my fair share of that. The most difficult thing to ask is what will your needs be in 10, 15, or 20 years. I find that I buy on the upper end and will grow in to the tool. Hence my milling machine thread and Brian's trailer thread. All you can do is take your best shot, cover your bases, and hope it works out for you. So much of this stuff is personal preference and intended uses. An now that I think of it, I don't think there is anything I bought that I can say "wow did I go over board on that". But there has been things that I wish I had not been so cheap. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think the thing that bothers me the most about the low end units is the 80 gal tank makes it "appear professional" yet it has a cheezy motor and compressor.

IR did have a lower cfm model of the unit I suggested same 2475 compressor with a 5hp continuous motor on it that isn't listed at TSC. That could be a good choice too. I had an IR 30 gal horizontal portable 120v unit that produced enough air for your uses, problem was it wouldn't hold together. Over the long run cheap compressors will cost more than buying one good compressor.

What I would want in your case is a well built yet smaller compressor and a 60 gal tank is sufficient, 3 hp would be about right. Problem is I don't know of anyone making this. Possible exception maybe Dayton/Grainger? It seems you have to move up to the larger units to get quality and longevity.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Ok, So I think decision time is here.... Try to look past the paint and such, Think of them on the machines themselves, to get an equivalent IR means the same money as the green one, and that being said, I just assume go with the Deere....Whatcha guys think:

IR 80 Gal from TSC:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...80-gallon-2-stage-air-compressor-5-hp-3496129

MiTM/Deere:
http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/homeandworkshop/products/air_compressors/ac2_80es.html
Between the two, I would get the IR one from TSC. Basically the same specs as the one I have and has served me well for 6 years now-it's even handling my blast cabinet well.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Between the two, I would get the IR one from TSC. Basically the same specs as the one I have and has served me well for 6 years now-it's even handling my blast cabinet well.
That is good to know, are you using the small nozzle or the medium?

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Thanks Kenny,

I am not the one that generally runs my blast cabinet. Well, just recently I was looking everything over just a little too late. Wore through the nozzle, gasket, and gun. I guess I will have to keep closer tabs on the maintenence from now on. You will be surprised at how fast the hours rack up on this piece of equipment with out you knowing it.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I think you're right on Grainger. Mine is a Speedaire 7.5, 80 gallon, but seems to me I was looking at a 3 HP with 60 gallon tank as well. Went with the larger one as it listed for $3100 Cdn., but was on for $1900. Got the last one in Canada....

I think the thing that bothers me the most about the low end units is the 80 gal tank makes it "appear professional" yet it has a cheezy motor and compressor.

IR did have a lower cfm model of the unit I suggested same 2475 compressor with a 5hp continuous motor on it that isn't listed at TSC. That could be a good choice too. I had an IR 30 gal horizontal portable 120v unit that produced enough air for your uses, problem was it wouldn't hold together. Over the long run cheap compressors will cost more than buying one good compressor.

What I would want in your case is a well built yet smaller compressor and a 60 gal tank is sufficient, 3 hp would be about right. Problem is I don't know of anyone making this. Possible exception maybe Dayton/Grainger? It seems you have to move up to the larger units to get quality and longevity.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok....so I'm confused beyond words as to what to do...
I've kinda thought about taking it down a notch...not going TOP shelf, but not going bottom either..reason being, I'm counting my pennies so I can hopefully build my shop this summer....so I was at TSC today so I figured Id take a peek at what they have...Both IR, both have the same motor...

SS5L5 - 60Gal, 18.1 CFM @ 90psi, 950 Pump RPM, Single Stage - $849
TS45N - 80Gal, 15.8 CFM @ 90psi, 1375 Pump RPM, 2 Stage - $999

Now...looking at those specs, I'd think the Single Stage @ 18.1 CFM is the way to go...why bother with the 2 stage at that point? Save 150 bucks and have more air volume. In speaking with "old timers" they're only piece of advice is to buy one that "Turns Slow" because they last longer and make MUCH less noise.

·
Banned
747 Posts
You have to be careful on "quoted" measurements. The way they are calculated differ among manufacturers. Also, the first compressor motor is turning at 950, the second at 1375. The second dual stage, is going to fill a lot quicker than the first, and the air will be cooler too, which actually means less moisture than a single stage as the air is not as hot. So with the single stage your cycle time will be longer, and there will be more moisture available due to it being heated. Not a big deal if you don't mind waiting to fill the tank, or you hava good moisture removal via filters. I know, it all can be confusing.

This might help:

http://www.ytmag.com/toolt/messages/118555.html

Ok....so I'm confused beyond words as to what to do...
I've kinda thought about taking it down a notch...not going TOP shelf, but not going bottom either..reason being, I'm counting my pennies so I can hopefully build my shop this summer....so I was at TSC today so I figured Id take a peek at what they have...Both IR, both have the same motor...

SS5L5 - 60Gal, 18.1 CFM @ 90psi, 950 Pump RPM, Single Stage - $849
TS45N - 80Gal, 15.8 CFM @ 90psi, 1375 Pump RPM, 2 Stage - $999

Now...looking at those specs, I'd think the Single Stage @ 18.1 CFM is the way to go...why bother with the 2 stage at that point? Save 150 bucks and have more air volume. In speaking with "old timers" they're only piece of advice is to buy one that "Turns Slow" because they last longer and make MUCH less noise.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While eating lunch I been googling it...found this:

http://www.kmstools.com/forum/content.php?114-What-you-need-to-know-before-you-buy-a-compressor

Snippet from that guide:

ONE OR TWO STAGE

Single stage compressors have one or more cylinders, and each cylinder pumps air directly into the tank. Two stage compressors have at least 2 cylinders, and the air is pumped from one cylinder into another and then into the tank. A typical two stage, 2 cylinder compressor has a large first stage cylinder which pumps air through a cooling tube and into the smaller second stage cylinder at about 90 PSI, and finally into the tank at 175 PSI. The main reason for buying a two stage compressor would be if you need high pressure, but not too many applications need high pressure. Therefore, you probably don't need a two stage compressor.

Some people believe that a two stage compressor is better quality than a single stage compressor, but that is not necessarily true. I've seen good and poor quality compressors in both single and two-stage. However, most 5 HP and larger industrial compressors are two stage and they are better due to the fact that they are built to industrial standards, not because they are two stage. For most applications, you would be better off to get a good quality single stage compressor than a low-cost big box store type two stage compressor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts