Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how much compressor does a person REALLY Need? I'll try to best explain my useage...

-Home Shop...aka Part Time usage
-Intended Uses: Impact Wrenches, Misc Air Tools, Occasional Spray Painting.
-Definetly want to plan on a Plasma, leaning towards the TD Cutmaster 52 right now which requires 6.7 cfm @ 75psi

I know the more a person spends, the more they get, but at the same time, I've got to be able to tell myself its worth 1,200 bucks more to go from a 60 Gal single stage @ 11.3cfm to an 80 gal 2 stage @ 24cfm...

Already equipped myself with Electric Die Grinders so tools like that probably wouldnt get used. IF they do, for very short periods of time...

Any good compressor sizing tips out there?

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
For me it would be as follows:
5 HP
240 Volt
80 Gallon
2-Stage
15 CFM @ 90 PSI as an absolute minimum, 20 would be better.

I think all the 60 gallon units are single stage? Stay away from that.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Dave,

I agree completely with the "Oh Great Wise One" (Kenny):mocking:. Bear in mind he stated minimum. And +1 on the "stay away from the single stage". For your general stated use you should be good to go.:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Ken, if you dont mind me asking...Why?

20 CFM seems like an awful lot to me...
More is always better:lol:

I know from using the blast cabinet, and my die grinder that 15 is my absolute minimum, so if I was shopping today I would get more-that's all.

I know you said you have electric grinders, as do I-BUT the compact size of the small pneumatic ones is very handy to have at times so I use it as well. I also have a "needle scaler" from Horrible Fright that is a air hog (they say 4 cfm but I don't believe it)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True Dat...basically I'm trying to find the best bang for the buck because I'd hate to blow my "toy money" on a compressor...I'd REALLY like to get my shop built this year. 800.00 extra I spend on a compressor is 800 further away from my shop.

I know you said you have electric grinders, as do I-BUT the compact size of the small pneumatic ones is very handy to have at times so I use it as well. I also have a "needle scaler" from Horrible Fright that is a air hog (they say 4 cfm but I don't believe it)
I've got a nice IR Air Die Grinder set..both straight & 90 degree versions, once you use an Electric you'll never go back to air unless size is an issue. I will say the electric one is long.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Who makes really good compressor in the 15 cfm @90psi range? Seems to me you have the choice of cheap or move up to a unit for $2000 plus drier.

Anyone who wants to build their own projects as Dave does needs the more upscale unit imo. I may have to wait awhile since I too am building a new shop but I am not going to throw away $1000 on a mediocre compressor, it would be better to shop for a good used one.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who makes really good compressor in the 15 cfm @90psi range? Seems to me you have the choice of cheap or move up to a unit for $2000 plus drier.
Very true, you got me to thinkin and I remember reading about these from another AG forum I lurk on..
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504747.htm

Anyone who wants to build their own projects as Dave does needs the more upscale unit imo. I may have to wait awhile since I too am building a new shop but I am not going to throw away $1000 on a mediocre compressor, it would be better to shop for a good used one.
Thats whats making this so hard on me...up until now this little baby has done the deed on all my projects....I KNOW I need a real compressor, no debate there....I do wish it was a little bigger, but at the same time I cant say my compressor has held me back project wise.
In case your wondering why I'm shopping for a compressor to go into a shop I dont even have, I'm preparing for all the air nailers I hope to have on site in building the shop.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dave,
I have a Thomas 2hp pancake for running air nailers, they are easy to handle. One of the CH compressors pictured should have no problem keeping up with a framing gun or two.

The Polar 2 stage 80 gallon vertical with 5 yr warranty for $1475 + freight looks good. If you order one from out of state you likely save sales tax but have the freight to pay. Compare that to TSC walking in and paying sales tax.

·
Banned
747 Posts
You got that right. It's like designing a garage. I thought no way that I'll ever fill a 24 x 24 garage. Guess what... Course my former trade was pro motorcycle/small engine/outboards, so you would have thought I'd know better. Key is to try and plan for future use, whether it's a garage, or a compressor.

To the OP. Get the most massive one you can swing for if you are ever, ever thinking about any sandblasting on a medium to large scale. My current compressor is an 80 Gal, 31CFM and that is taxed after a very few minutes of blasting, if I don't take breaks...

I know from using the blast cabinet, and my die grinder that 15 is my absolute minimum, so if I was shopping today I would get more-that's all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts