Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks in the shop for a new video card, another week of re-wiring all my stuff and neatening up... Turned on the machine and display is very different from when I sent it in. For instance, "START" circle and everything round is oval and entry boxes are squashed and stretched in programs and web pages. I've been to every web help page I can find and it seems there is no easy way to reset Vista Home Premium back to default. I've also been through every iteration of settings in "display", DPI, "Personalization", "Themes", etc. that I could find and nothing will change the aspect ratio. They change a bunch of stuff, but not this problem.

Before I have to go back to the repair man (not sure I'll use him again), does anyone have a suggestion for something I've missed? Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
the aspect you go to tools, and then click options. then go to the advanced tab, then choose which one you want...

As far as restoring to default, what brand PC is it? Normally this has to d with the MFG and is done that way through 1 of their settings.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,422 Posts
2 weeks in the shop for a new video card, another week of re-wiring all my stuff and neatening up... Turned on the machine and display is very different from when I sent it in. For instance, "START" circle and everything round is oval and entry boxes are squashed and stretched in programs and web pages. I've been to every web help page I can find and it seems there is no easy way to reset Vista Home Premium back to default. I've also been through every iteration of settings in "display", DPI, "Personalization", "Themes", etc. that I could find and nothing will change the aspect ratio. They change a bunch of stuff, but not this problem.

Before I have to go back to the repair man (not sure I'll use him again), does anyone have a suggestion for something I've missed? Thanks!!!
Vista??????????????????
How old is the box?

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
can't help u hydroharold at all on this, this is wa---y over my head:think:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Does <CTRL> +, <CTRL> - change anything?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the aspect you go to tools, and then click options. then go to the advanced tab, then choose which one you want...

As far as restoring to default, what brand PC is it? Normally this has to d with the MFG and is done that way through 1 of their settings.
PC is a dual processor HP "Media Center" (lots if jacks).

Vista??????????????????
How old is the box?
Yes... "VISTA"! The box is an '07 replacing a '99 Gateway running W98! I like to get milage out of all my stuff!:laugh:

can't help u hydroharold at all on this, this is wa---y over my head:think:
Sadly, over mine too, but I'm learning about all the settings very quickly unfortunately!

Does <CTRL> +, <CTRL> - change anything?
That is the same as CTRL + Mouse Wheel up/down scaling the web pages. Won't work on programs, pictures, icons, etc. Guess I'll call the repair guy and see what he sez... (I hate this computer dung!":laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,422 Posts
PC is a dual processor HP "Media Center" (lots if jacks).

Yes... "VISTA"! The box is an '07 replacing a '99 Gateway running W98! I like to get milage out of all my stuff!:laugh:
8 year old machine running Vista, don't spend too much money on it trying to repair it.

As far as getting max mileage, I ran my old Gateway 1998 with a Pentium II 400 Mhz processor till 1 year ago, bought it
with Win 98, upgraded to XP when it came out, upgraded hard drives and max out the Ram memory
I could put in it.
In the end it was taking 5 minutes to boot up and wasn't handling half the web pages because of processor speed, Microsoft
quit supporting XP, so I bought a new one, even a retired electronic tech like me can get just so much blood out of a turnip. :lol:

Cajun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts