Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to use my desk top the other day, but it froze up, screen showed blue. Said something about memory dump, and windows shut itself down.
Can any one help?? Do I need to take it to best buy or buy a new one??

Thanks guys
Larry

·
Registered
277 Posts
You've suffered a BSOD ( Blue screen of death ). Not seen one of those for quite a few years.
How old is the PC and which version of Windows operating system are you using ?

A Blue Screen of Death is usually hardware or driver related. Failing memory ( RAM ) sticks were a common problem in the early days of BSOD's
They can also be created if you install a new program or a piece of hardware, update a driver, install an update, etc.? If so, there's a very good chance that the change you made caused the BSOD.

Information is provided with a BSOD to tell you why you've received the problem and the most important part is right at the top. The name of the error is presented in all caps with an underscore between each word. In some cases this will be all that’s needed to get to the root of the problem.
For example .. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If you can restart the PC and the BSOD happens again, take a note of the capitalized error and let us have the information together with the Operating system.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look and see what is it, and report back. The computer has windows xp on it, so it old. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. Give a few and I will report back with what it says.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I tried to use my desk top the other day, but it froze up, screen showed blue. Said something about memory dump, and windows shut itself down.
Can any one help?? Do I need to take it to best buy or buy a new one??

Thanks guys
Larry
I've also experienced the Blue Screen of Death. It really does shake you up, especially for us non tech types, & I'm speaking about myself here. I've had it happen, but then it never re appeared. So I don't know what caused it. But my computer continued to work as usual after it happened. I think you should maybe wait to see what it does, or if it does do it again. If the thing is going to die, why worry about it now? And I AM NOT saying anything against Best Buy, but in my opinion everyone who uses a computer should research & find a good, honest, reliable small computer repair shop or technician in your local area. I did this years ago, when a local Mom & Pop shop built me a computer for my business. Thru the years I've kept the relationship & when I do get into trouble, I get my stuff fixed right the first time & at a fair price.

Those big box stores do everything by the "corporate book" & corp. set prices. You could end up paying a lot of money for very little in return. Just my own experience with this stuff.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I turned it on again, after my 2nd post, and it just froze up. Restarted in safe mood and it froze up there too.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I turned it on again, after my 2nd post, and it just froze up. Restarted in safe mood and it froze up there too.
How old is it? I take it you've never did a cleaning job on it? There is a very good possibility that it is shutting down due to temperature. If the CPU has a fan (which I assume) and it's either not turning or clogged with dust this will blue screen for sure. Very good chance of this,being it is happening (BSOD) so quickly.

Greg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have to find the receipt, but I would guess I bought it new in 2005 give or take a year or 2.

And yes I have never did a cleaning job on it

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
If you are comfortable disconnecting it,and taking the sides off and blowing out all the dust with low pressure air, I would recommend it. Personally,I've never used low pressure though. I use a blow nozzle with a 1/16" diameter tip that pretty much looks like a needle with 100 psi pressure.I have cleaned my rigs hundreds of times over the years,and have never had issues.
Anyway,I think a cleaning is in order,and it may just solve your problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks. I will do it. I have took the the cover off the side before, I had to put a piece in for the wireless Internet to work.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I had one lethal blue screen in my life, right after a huge bolt of lightining. That's when I really appreciated having things backed up on an external because the hard drive was toasted. Good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the cover off, a little dirty but nothing really bad. Only air I have would be the air compressor in the barn.
So I'm not sure what else to do. I might try best buy, or just a new one.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Make sure all the fans are working too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only seen one fan. Is there more??

·
Registered
287 Posts
There should be one fan over the CPU (central processing unit) that has a heat sink around it and another fan housed inside the power supply. My suggestion would be to unplug anything that maybe attached to the computer except the essentials like your monitor, mouse & keyboard. Even one of those items might be causing the BSOD. But in today's computer industry, its a "disposable" item; not like when our tractors were "Made in the USA".

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359995694.339319.jpg
This was last night, I was putting the cover back on the side and my daughter thought she could climb on it

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah still freezes up thought

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It will start up, show back ground pic, and when I try to open something, say internet explorer. It freezes. Mouse does nothing. I tried to open the task manager it it won't let that open either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts