Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must be something in the air...
I shut down my laptop friday,went to turn it on monday morn and I get this message "OxcOOOOOOe Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible" I tried the choices it gave me,like start windows normally, try and repair problem, and even tried to start in safe mode....nothing. Any tips? Please ,remember I am not very computer literate...so talk to me slowly :laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Best advice I can give is to get a refurbished/off lease laptop with Windows 7. If you have not been using Mozy or Carbonite, take your computer to someone that has experience, as well as a portable hard drive, and let them hook up into their machine and try to get whatever they can onto the drive, to copy onto your new machine.

I had an old laptop that was a workhorse, that did the same as yours one day. Was fine when I shut it down for bed, and would not boot the next day. Had to replace the machine, but since I really liked that keyboard and OS, I got a new hard drive for the unit, as well as an old OS disk, and had it rebuilt.

But I fear your machine is destined for the graveyard.

Of course, you could put what I know about computers on the head of a pin, and have space left over.

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
"OxcOOOOOOe Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

Your computer is politely trying to tell you that whatever device it normally accesses (usually the hard drive) to find your operating system is not powering up and responding to commands. You can check your BIOS settings to make sure that it is set to boot from your hard drive (it shouldn't have changed but... ya never know!). If that isn't it then most likely, your hard drive has died and gone to computer heaven.

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts
You didn't by chance leave a CD/DVD in the drive or thumb drive plugged in did you?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,135 Posts
If Kenny's suggestion isn't it....
Talking slowly,
Buy....................a....................new.........................one.

Couldn't help myself.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I shut down my laptop friday,went to turn it on monday morn and I get this message "OxcOOOOOOe Boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible" I tried the choices it gave me,like start windows normally, try and repair problem, and even tried to start in safe mode....nothing. Any tips? Please ,remember I am not very computer literate...so talk to me slowly :laugh:
The last production windows machine I had did the same thing. It was an XP machine I installed some windows updates and it rebooted to a blue screen with a hex error number. The thing was less than 6 months old so I took it back where i bought it and it was a bad hard drive. You can try to open it up and reseat the power and HD cables. This worked on a PC that my MIL had that just kept rebooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
Had a similar issues with my wife's laptop. I pulled the battery, keyboard, hard drive and memory and blew it out with canned air. Shook all the crumbs and critters out of the keyboard and reassembled the thing. That was a couple of years ago and she's still using it. I must have fixed it by accident!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Had a similar issues with my wife's laptop. I pulled the battery, keyboard, hard drive and memory and blew it out with canned air. Shook all the crumbs and critters out of the keyboard and reassembled the thing. That was a couple of years ago and she's still using it. I must have fixed it by accident!
SGS the correct term is FBM - Fixed by Magic

Actually, it one of the simple basic checks, re-seat everything and run a pencil eraser over the ram connections. If i say anymore I may have to bill someone.:shhh:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I agree, get everything you can off of that hard drive then take that old computer and use it for target practice. Computers are so cheap today, that it really isn't worth putting the time and money into fixing them. Get a cheap laptop from WallyMart and put your stuff right in it. Back your stuff up on a thumb drive, or a solid state hard drive that you can plug in to a USB.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
All kidding aside, if you have another computer you can use, you can write a bootable Knoppix CD. The whole operating system is on the CD. Boot to the CD and check your hard drive.
KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD

If you have a little more computer savvy or can watch and learn from a YouTube video you can take the hard drive out and pray it works in an external enclosure like these sold here...
Search Results for hard disk enclosure at TigerDirect.com

You could also use a YouTube video to take the major components out and re-seat them. It's worth a try.

You can also try to catch the error code and Google it. I haven't had the greatest luck doing that, but it might point you in a direction.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You didn't by chance leave a CD/DVD in the drive or thumb drive plugged in did you?
I was hoping that was it as I was looking at a SD card out of our trail cameras last week...but nope, dangit
Best advice I can give is to get a refurbished/off lease laptop with Windows 7. If you have not been using Mozy or Carbonite, take your computer to someone that has experience, as well as a portable hard drive, and let them hook up into their machine and try to get whatever they can onto the drive, to copy onto your new machine.

I had an old laptop that was a workhorse, that did the same as yours one day. Was fine when I shut it down for bed, and would not boot the next day. Had to replace the machine, but since I really liked that keyboard and OS, I got a new hard drive for the unit, as well as an old OS disk, and had it rebuilt.

But I fear your machine is destined for the graveyard.

Of course, you could put what I know about computers on the head of a pin, and have space left over.
I have an external hard drive that I back up to periodically...luckily the most recent was about a week ago. The laptop I had was a rebuilt Dell I paid 175.00 for less than a year ago. I believe it has a long warranty, so I might get lucky
I'm gonna try this tonight....thanks!
SGS the correct term is FBM - Fixed by Magic

Actually, it one of the simple basic checks, re-seat everything and run a pencil eraser over the ram connections. If i say anymore I may have to bill someone.:shhh:
All kidding aside, if you have another computer you can use, you can write a bootable Knoppix CD. The whole operating system is on the CD. Boot to the CD and check your hard drive.
KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD

If you have a little more computer savvy or can watch and learn from a YouTube video you can take the hard drive out and pray it works in an external enclosure like these sold here...
Search Results for hard disk enclosure at TigerDirect.com

You could also use a YouTube video to take the major components out and re-seat them. It's worth a try.

You can also try to catch the error code and Google it. I haven't had the greatest luck doing that, but it might point you in a direction.
Thank you all for the suggstions. I am on my wifes laptop right now....and the screen is flickering, I might be buying two:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I was hoping that was it as I was looking at a SD card out of our trail cameras last week...but nope, dangit

I have an external hard drive that I back up to periodically...luckily the most recent was about a week ago. The laptop I had was a rebuilt Dell I paid 175.00 for less than a year ago. I believe it has a long warranty, so I might get lucky

I'm gonna try this tonight....thanks!

Thank you all for the suggstions. I am on my wifes laptop right now....and the screen is flickering, I might be buying two:thumbsdown:
You may want to pick up one of THESE I have one, and have used it with great success to recover data when the OS or boot sector is toast. You can basically take out your hard drive and read it just like an external USB drive on another computer.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
This worked on a PC that my MIL had that just kept rebooting.
My MIL quit rebooting and well, we sent her to the big MIL graveyard in the sky........Oh, it was your MIL's computer which kept rebooting......now I got it.....:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts