Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your experiences with cone spreaders from TSC? My tiller is from them and it does well. I'm going to apply some fertilizers but mainly pelletized gypsum and cover crops with it. I will be storing it indoors and washing after each use. Also will put a light coat of oil/rust inhibitor on surfaces that need it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What are your experiences with cone spreaders from TSC? My tiller is from them and it does well. I'm going to apply some fertilizers but mainly pelletized gypsum and cover crops with it. I will be storing it indoors and washing after each use. Also will put a light coat of oil/rust inhibitor on surfaces that need it.
My advice is get one with the plastic tub. I had a metal one that rusted out. I let a buddy borrow it and within a year it was rusted so bad it was not salvageable. I was in disbelief when I went to get it. When I dropped it off, it didn’t have any structural rust.

You’re on the right path about washing it with a soap very well, dry it good and oil it down to make it last

Brett

·
Registered
515 Posts
So is the cone the weak link?
For me it was. The spinner and gear box were perfect. The cone and the gates were what rusted out. Fertilizer is very nasty if you don’t clean up after it properly

Brett

·
Registered
913 Posts
My thought is that as long as the gearbox is solid, the weak link includes any surface that fertilizer touches and isn't cleaned adequately after each use. That includes the metal cone itself, the slider mechanism that controls rate of application, and the metal spinning broadcast disc.

I've had a Frontier metal cone model for a couple of years, and it gets pressure washed, sun dried, sprayed lightly with PAM cooking spray, and then stored in a corner of my garage (not outside in the shed with the other implements) after every use. Any bare metal gets a shot of JD green spray paint right away, too. There's always a circle of bare metal after every use where the agitator wheel runs around the inside of the cone.

I've not been asked yet by anyone to borrow it. But if I loan it out, I'll want it returned right after use, and no matter how clean it looks, I'll give it the same washing and oiling before storing it back away.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,687 Posts
I've got one sitting over at the inlaws that they inherited when they bought their last parcel. I've been meaning to pull it out and go through it for functionality. I thought it could be usefull for spreading seed or fertilizer on the smaller hay pastures.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My thought is that as long as the gearbox is solid, the weak link includes any surface that fertilizer touches and isn't cleaned adequately after each use. That includes the metal cone itself, the slider mechanism that controls rate of application, and the metal spinning broadcast disc.

I've had a Frontier metal cone model for a couple of years, and it gets pressure washed, sun dried, sprayed lightly with PAM cooking spray, and then stored in a corner of my garage (not outside in the shed with the other implements) after every use. Any bare metal gets a shot of JD green spray paint right away, too. There's always a circle of bare metal after every use where the agitator wheel runs around the inside of the cone.

I've not been asked yet by anyone to borrow it. But if I loan it out, I'll want it returned right after use, and no matter how clean it looks, I'll give it the same washing and oiling before storing it back away.
This is the type of person you let borrow your stuff! I unfortunately don’t always make the right decision. If you are very strict on maintenance and cleaning a metal one would be fine. If there’s any chance at all it’ll sit a bit or not get detailed after every use go plastic

Brett

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. It would be in the shop with the planter tiller and sprayer. The tiller is the only thing I don't wash right after use because I'll use it for a week straight every two weeks. When I'm done I wash it up and grease it for the next go round. Is there any huge difference between the TSC (Tarter) brand and a king cutter?

What did you pay for your frontier spreader?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ok. It would be in the shop with the planter tiller and sprayer. The tiller is the only thing I don't wash right after use because I'll use it for a week straight every two weeks. When I'm done I wash it up and grease it for the next go round. Is there any huge difference between the TSC (Tarter) brand and a king cutter?

What did you pay for your frontier spreader?
$800. I wanted one that was imatch compatible and Deere locally had one in stock with that option. I had shopped around so long that I let seeding and fertilizing time slip up on me, and it was a choice of buying the Frontier or paying someone $90/hour to spread seed and fertilizer for me. By not having to do that, I figure the financial break even point was around a year.

I did look several times at the TSC spreaders, and they looked pretty good to me. The only problem with the TSC, other than having to do fabrication to make it work with the imatch, was that my nearest TSC stored theirs outside, and the three they had were rusty already. I did go to another TSC where they took over an old Walmart store and have a huge amount of indoor storage for all their implements. The spreaders there were in perfect shape.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I'll look into both. I noticed the two closest TSC stores them outside. The one a little further away has indoor storage though.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
We use an Agrex PTO cone spreader that says it isn’t iMatch compatible, but it actually is. Works great, easy to adjust. My only complaint is that I can’t reach the shutoff lever from the tractor. So, if we’re distributing fertilizer/grass/etc between multiple pastures, someone has to be waiting nearby to flip the lever or the waste adds up.

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Agrex-Tractor-PTO-Fertilizer-Spreader-XA150-p/lba-fertilizer-spread-xa1503pt.htm

Regarding your one dislike...in the manual on page 11, it states:
spreader.png

Not sure who you would contact to receive your remote control, but since the company is in Italy, maybe EA??? :unknown: Can't hurt.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Regarding your one dislike...in the manual on page 11, it states:
View attachment 501714

Not sure who you would contact to receive your remote control, but since the company is in Italy, maybe EA??? :unknown: Can't hurt.
We did see that but it’s just not long enough, nor do I wanna slam it in the door. We have a cab on our 4052R. I’m a woman. Not a dumb ass.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think that is what 56Nine was saying....

I appreciate everyone's help and info. I'll go to the local Deere dealer and see what their price is and how they stack up to tsc and family farm & homes king cutter. Probably all close to the same. I'll post back when I decide. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'd like to have picked up a poly hopper, but this one was used on CL. It's been great. I clean it after use and spray Fluid Film on it. That seems to keep it pretty well protected. The guy I bought it from left it out one summer and that cracked the paint on the bottom of the hopper and started a little rust. With Fluid Film I can say it hasn't gotten any worse. I spread fertilizer and grass seed with mine once a year, otherwise it sits in my shed. For the $350 I've got in it I'm VERY happy. I had a $150 L&g pull behind before and it sucked....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
A couple of years ago I picked up the poly hopper spreader from Fleet Farm, just south of $300. The spreader works very well, the odd thing is some fertilizer seems to have more free clay as a material binder than others. With some product the clay will build up over an inch thick as it spins when spreading. Other material will have little to no build up. When cleaning the in-tank agitator, take a few extra minutes to pop the clay buildup lose when pressure washing.

As others have indicated after cleaning, spray the whole thing (inside the hopper, and below that could come into contact with fertilizer) down with fluid film.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
$800. I wanted one that was imatch compatible and Deere locally had one in stock with that option. I had shopped around so long that I let seeding and fertilizing time slip up on me, and it was a choice of buying the Frontier or paying someone $90/hour to spread seed and fertilizer for me. By not having to do that, I figure the financial break even point was around a year.

I did look several times at the TSC spreaders, and they looked pretty good to me. The only problem with the TSC, other than having to do fabrication to make it work with the imatch, was that my nearest TSC stored theirs outside, and the three they had were rusty already. I did go to another TSC where they took over an old Walmart store and have a huge amount of indoor storage for all their implements. The spreaders there were in perfect shape.
retired doc-i think i have the same spreader as u do. here's a few pics of mine. View attachment 502890 20171206_140602.jpg

i bought this sheild extra-but for some reason it will not work right. 20171206_140658_Burst01.jpg here is where i am assuming it bolts onto the spreader. i can not find anywhere thru Frontier to make sure of that. on the spreader frame is 2 different bolt holes--and if i use the upper hole-than their is no way to lower the shield any. this shield was to allow u to keep whatever u are spreading from going all the way out to just under 5 ft-IIRC.

i believe they shipped it short of like a shim--cause once u tighten them bolts down, no way u can slide the shield up or down-its tight against the spreader frame. 20171206_140816_Burst01.jpg here's my stand i built for it-a little over kill-but it's not gonna flip over-that's for sure. anyone else have one of these I-match spreaders?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts