Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a 1025R and went looking for a 3 or 4 series, got a lot of good info from guys on here, and ended up ordering a 4052R. The price difference between a 44R and 52R wasn't much. I am guessing pricing is high is due to the lack of machines available right now. I ordered mine last January and was told it would be May before it showed up, and it was mid June before I got it. It was worth the wait, I cleared an 500' road 20' wide to make an access road for logging trucks, lugged out the better part of 10 cords of wood in 8' lengths in two weekends. It can go a lot of places in the woods, its very nimble, has tight turning radius even without using the brakes. I have the 5.5" spacers and loaded tires set in the wide position as our terrain is hilly.
I also wanted the ag tires and was dead set on getting them, and got talked out of it by my dealer. He had told me that numerous small loggers had gone to R4's for less tearing up the ground on their jobs. Mine was ordered with R4's and I was told if I don't like them this winter, they will swap them for ag tires for free. So far I like them, we will see how they do in the snow this winter. They had a 4044R with skidding winch and grapples on at the dealership with R4's that belonged to a logger, had a custom cage and skid plate setup that was really nice looking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have considered the 52; but wasn't sure on the turbo. Called my dealer today and they don't have a single 4 series left in their ownership group. The local sales guy said they have several on order and it appears like March is going to be the delivery window. So unfortunately I will have to wait until then to check them out. Not sure the incentives ever really change much on these; they seem to be a large seller and supply and demand has obviously affected pricing. I checked the incentives today and the 4052R doesn't qualify for the same incentive as the 4044R. The 44 is 1250 off and 0/60. 52 only has 250 off and 1750 if you do cash or traditional financing. Might actually be a better deal doing it that way through a credit union seeing as I will have trade credit (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have considered the 52; but wasn't sure on the turbo. Called my dealer today and they don't have a single 4 series left in their ownership group. The local sales guy said they have several on order and it appears like March is going to be the delivery window. So unfortunately I will have to wait until then to check them out. Not sure the incentives ever really change much on these; they seem to be a large seller and supply and demand has obviously affected pricing. I checked the incentives today and the 4052R doesn't qualify for the same incentive as the 4044R. The 44 is 1250 off and 0/60. 52 only has 250 off and 1750 if you do cash or traditional financing. Might actually be a better deal doing it that way through a credit union seeing as I will have trade credit (hopefully).
all the 52 would add over the 44 effectively is 15% PTO hp and thats a lot if you ever need it....i am not negative about turbos 80% of my diesel equipment has turbos......but if i personally prefer naturally aspirated if i have to work on it myself just because there is less stuff to deal with and a lot less stuff under the hood to work around (which is extremely rare to have to do)

looking to the future more HP does add flexibility for example your 5' brush hog will be very easy for the 44 to pull and is undersized in my opinion....one of the first things guys figure out quickly is a bigger brush hog the better and the more pto HP the better as you move up in size so more HP can be a very good thing if you ever need it and can afford it

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I ordered mine it was 0/60 months, and I asked my dealer about it and doing the paperwork before the 0% went away. They told me once you get to 4 series and above they always offer 0% on them. I would ask your dealer about it. I was at my dealer 3 weeks ago and they had a couple new 1 series, but no 2-5 series on the lot, they had some on order but no delivery date. It took 2 months for my snow blower to show up, so things are definitely behind schedule.

As for turbos in tractors, I didn't even think of it being an issue. The company I work for has several hundred pieces of construction equipment running turbo engines, and usually its not the turbo that was the engine issue.

Reactions: vtlmbrjack

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
all the 52 would add over the 44 effectively is 15% PTO hp and thats a lot if you ever need it....i am not negative about turbos 80% of my diesel equipment has turbos......but if i personally prefer naturally aspirated if i have to work on it myself just because there is less stuff to deal with and a lot less stuff under the hood to work around (which is extremely rare to have to do)

looking to the future more HP does add flexibility for example your 5' brush hog will be very easy for the 44 to pull and is undersized in my opinion....one of the first things guys figure out quickly is a bigger brush hog the better and the more pto HP the better as you move up in size so more HP can be a very good thing if you ever need it and can afford it
That's where I'm at too. I am mildly mechanically inclined so the less under the hood the better; but not totally against them either as I have a Volvo that has a turbo and a supercharger (and an unlimited mile warranty so I don't have to worry about it). I don't use the machine for business so keeping my 5 foot brush hog saves me probably 1000 dollars on the upgrade. I only do it for myself so if it takes me an extra hour on the tractor I am not super concerned about it for the 2 or 3 times a year that I use it. I'm sure the 44 could run a 7 foot light duty or 6 foot medium duty without thinking twice.

The dealer suggested a 78 inch inverted snowblower for the 4044R and I think that is a very future proofed setup. He said it would have zero issue with power to run it.

I honestly think the 44M/R is more tractor than I 'need' vs buying what would do the job in a 3 series.

I was intrigued by the mechanical self leveling loaders; just saw the TTWT video test on the 2 series. Also wondering for longevity and value if that would be a worthy upgrade to include.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
When I ordered mine it was 0/60 months, and I asked my dealer about it and doing the paperwork before the 0% went away. They told me once you get to 4 series and above they always offer 0% on them. I would ask your dealer about it. I was at my dealer 3 weeks ago and they had a couple new 1 series, but no 2-5 series on the lot, they had some on order but no delivery date. It took 2 months for my snow blower to show up, so things are definitely behind schedule.

As for turbos in tractors, I didn't even think of it being an issue. The company I work for has several hundred pieces of construction equipment running turbo engines, and usually its not the turbo that was the engine issue.

Thanks I will definitely look into it as things progress; still waiting on quotes to get my brain overthinking! Good to know on the turbos; I know they're efficient and Europe has them on everything. Never remembered that the construction industry would make use of them as well on the big equipment.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
That's where I'm at too. I am mildly mechanically inclined so the less under the hood the better; but not totally against them either as I have a Volvo that has a turbo and a supercharger (and an unlimited mile warranty so I don't have to worry about it). I don't use the machine for business so keeping my 5 foot brush hog saves me probably 1000 dollars on the upgrade. I only do it for myself so if it takes me an extra hour on the tractor I am not super concerned about it for the 2 or 3 times a year that I use it. I'm sure the 44 could run a 7 foot light duty or 6 foot medium duty without thinking twice.

The dealer suggested a 78 inch inverted snowblower for the 4044R and I think that is a very future proofed setup. He said it would have zero issue with power to run it.

I honestly think the 44M/R is more tractor than I 'need' vs buying what would do the job in a 3 series.

I was intrigued by the mechanical self leveling loaders; just saw the TTWT video test on the 2 series. Also wondering for longevity and value if that would be a worthy upgrade to include.
MSL vs NSL loaders is a extremely debatable and sensitive subject there are many threads on it here...I have both...on many pieces of equipment ...

i personally do not like the geometry of a MSL .....but they are very useful for pallet fork type work...when i go get a loader tractor to do work i much prefer the NSL .....you will notice it appears TTWT does not use a MSL after the testing in later videos (edit i see on TTWTs latest video the one series has the MSL and the 2 series the NSL)

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
MSL vs NSL loaders is a extremely debatable and sensitive subject there are many threads on it here...I have both...on many pieces of equipment ...

i personally do not like the geometry of a MSL .....but they are very useful for pallet fork type work...when i go get a loader tractor to do work i much prefer the NSL .....you will notice it appears TTWT does not use a MSL after the testing in later videos
I considered the MSL when I bought my tractor. It wasn’t that expensive to add to the order, but it’s very expensive to order the parts to convert a NSL to MSL. The joystick control on my 790 had a quick response and was difficult to feather smooth motion when using the forks. Basically it was lift/lower, then level and repeat until done. My friends 3025E is the same way. For bucket work it’s fine, but not for forks. For these tractors, MSL would be great for working with forks.

I bought the NSL and the 4R joystick is very controllable. I can easily keep the forks level while lifting or lowering. You just have to go a little slower, but it’s considerably faster than stopping the lift/lower to level. I use forks about half the time and although the MSL would be nice, I don’t need it. You lose a bit of the curl with the MSL too, but I’m not sure how much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I did notice that and frankly I don't do enough with forks to say it's a necessity. One of those buy it now and have it later type things. On the overall price of the tractor the upgrade is somewhat minimal compared to everything else I will be spending. Might just leave this one out for now. If it was a significant increase in lift capacity I would consider it harder; but don't need it. I won't be lifting bales or water containers or anything else similar regularly.

Thank you again; you guys are exactly what I need and this forum is a gold mine of experience and advice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think I am more likely to use forks when lifting logs to block with the saw or just stack them in general but it won't be an every day thing. I am used to going slower with my current 2 series set up and I have read a lot about how much more controllable and less 'jerky' these loaders seem to be on the 4 series.

Thank you for taking the time to share what you've learned and liked/disliked. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

i personally do not like the geometry of a MSL .....but they are very useful for pallet fork type work...when i go get a loader tractor to do work i much prefer the NSL .....you will notice it appears TTWT does not use a MSL after the testing in later videos (edit i see on TTWTs latest video the one series has the MSL and the 2 series the NSL)
Let me clarify. I do not have an MSL for the 2038r. A viewer brought one for our testing.

We purchased the 120r NSL back from the dealer...so we have BOTH loaders at this point for the 1025r.

Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Let me clarify. I do not have an MSL for the 2038r. A viewer brought one for our testing.

We purchased the 120r NSL back from the dealer...so we have BOTH loaders at this point for the 1025r.

Tim
Thanks for that clarification; makes sense. Well. I’m not sure having two loaders makes sense for me but you know what I mean! Haha

Great video showing the lift capacity difference on the 2 series!

·
Registered
13 Posts
All,

I am the current owner of a 2032R. I have a loader, front mount blower, MMM. I have had it for about 5 years; decent all around machine for what I do with it. I have about 25 acres of property; 4 ish is field to be brush hogged and the remainder wooded. My property is flat so there won't be any issue of inclines. I have a skidding winch as well; 5 foot brush hog, etc. The rear implements are all 5 footers.

I am considering upgrading tractors and ditching the MMM and front blower. For the money I can add an inverted pull type blower and an actual dedicated mower for about the same price as adding a mid mount PTO, front hitch, etc.

I am torn between a few different machines. I know I want a tractor small enough to work in the woods; but that has enough rear end heft/weight to manage skidding a few trees here and there. I would also like to be able to cut trails in the woods. Due to being in the northeast I am considering Ag tires to be able to traverse through the snow in the field in the winter (Keeps width down as well). I know I won't be able to deal with 4 feet; but I'd like to be able to move reasonably through 12-24 inches. I understand that snow pack etc will matter as well.

The machines I am trying to work through are the 4044M/R (trying to figure out if the non removable loader is a big deal to me; I like the idea of being able to take the loader off for oil changes/maintenance); the Kubota L4701, and there is a Branson dealer local to me and they suggested a 4720h.

I am leary of the Branson just because of brand longevity, but they appear to be a heavily built tractor with a good feature set; obviously the cheapest of the bunch. The Branson dealer is a local family owned farm equipment dealer; mobile service is their trademark so I don't think they have a big facility like the JD/Kubota dealers. My dealer for JD is nowhere near the pricing that can be found on Mutton. Frankly the Kubota dealer here too is only offering the brand incentives and nothing extra. There is a Kioti dealer somewhat local too, but they don't really move off of MSRP either. Royal pain.

I bought a 1 series; upgraded to a 2 series and now I want larger again. This tractor should last me the next 10-15 years I hope. I am trying to future proof; keep a category 1 hitch, stay somewhat mechanically simple without a turbo, and get a machine that is more than what I need at the moment. I could more than likely live with a 3 series, but I don't want to have the same issue in 5 years. I also like the idea of cast iron transmission housing etc (4 series and Branson).

Any experience and thoughts are appreciated!
All,

I am the current owner of a 2032R. I have a loader, front mount blower, MMM. I have had it for about 5 years; decent all around machine for what I do with it. I have about 25 acres of property; 4 ish is field to be brush hogged and the remainder wooded. My property is flat so there won't be any issue of inclines. I have a skidding winch as well; 5 foot brush hog, etc. The rear implements are all 5 footers.

I am considering upgrading tractors and ditching the MMM and front blower. For the money I can add an inverted pull type blower and an actual dedicated mower for about the same price as adding a mid mount PTO, front hitch, etc.

I am torn between a few different machines. I know I want a tractor small enough to work in the woods; but that has enough rear end heft/weight to manage skidding a few trees here and there. I would also like to be able to cut trails in the woods. Due to being in the northeast I am considering Ag tires to be able to traverse through the snow in the field in the winter (Keeps width down as well). I know I won't be able to deal with 4 feet; but I'd like to be able to move reasonably through 12-24 inches. I understand that snow pack etc will matter as well.

The machines I am trying to work through are the 4044M/R (trying to figure out if the non removable loader is a big deal to me; I like the idea of being able to take the loader off for oil changes/maintenance); the Kubota L4701, and there is a Branson dealer local to me and they suggested a 4720h.

I am leary of the Branson just because of brand longevity, but they appear to be a heavily built tractor with a good feature set; obviously the cheapest of the bunch. The Branson dealer is a local family owned farm equipment dealer; mobile service is their trademark so I don't think they have a big facility like the JD/Kubota dealers. My dealer for JD is nowhere near the pricing that can be found on Mutton. Frankly the Kubota dealer here too is only offering the brand incentives and nothing extra. There is a Kioti dealer somewhat local too, but they don't really move off of MSRP either. Royal pain.

I bought a 1 series; upgraded to a 2 series and now I want larger again. This tractor should last me the next 10-15 years I hope. I am trying to future proof; keep a category 1 hitch, stay somewhat mechanically simple without a turbo, and get a machine that is more than what I need at the moment. I could more than likely live with a 3 series, but I don't want to have the same issue in 5 years. I also like the idea of cast iron transmission housing etc (4 series and Branson).

Any experience and thoughts are appreciated!
You can’t go wrong with a 4 series. I went from a 3320 to a 4044M and love the extra horse power and lift capacity. I feel like I went down in features compared to my 3320 but for the machine power it’s worth it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just thought I might help clear up a couple potential misconceptions about loader options between 4M and 4R series:

- You can get a 440R quick tach loader on a 4M series. Just would have to order and install the mid SCVs and joystick kit on the tractor itself which would be identical as found on 4R series.

- You can get a 400E non-quick tach loader without the loader mounted joystick. It would have to be ordered as a factory option delete. And then install the mid SCVs and joystick kit on the 4M series tractor itself. The 4R series already come equipped with that, though there isn’t much of a point spending on a premium 4R tractor and only get an economical loader (400E).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just thought I might help clear a couple potential misconceptions about loader options between 4M and 4R series:

- You can get a 440R quick tach loader on a 4M series. Just would have to order and install the mid SCVs and joystick kit on the tractor itself which would be identical as found on 4R series.

- You can get a 400E non-quick tach loader without the loader mounted joystick. It would have to be ordered as a factory option delete. And then install the mid SCVs and joystick kit on the 4M series tractor itself. The 4R series already come equipped with that, though there isn’t much of a point spending on a premium 4R tractor and only get an economical loader (400E).

Thank you! My dealer cleared that up for me as well. I would prefer the quick tach feature. He did say it was available to add to the M; however, the cost of labor and parts would be significant. At that point the upgrade to the R would be a much closer price; and, for resale/comfort/etc I think the R may be the way to go depending on how the price quote and trade in shakes out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thank you! My dealer cleared that up for me as well. I would prefer the quick tach feature. He did say it was available to add to the M; however, the cost of labor and parts would be significant. At that point the upgrade to the R would be a much closer price; and, for resale/comfort/etc I think the R may be the way to go depending on how the price quote and trade in shakes out.
I agree, the price difference between similar model 4M and 4R are only a few grands and by the time you add the options on 4M as found standard on 4R, the cost would then become almost identical. Mid SCVs with joystick, telescoping draft links, premium seat (swiveling). However, I noticed with the larger incentives Deere was running on 4M series this past summer, it would have been about $2k cheaper than an identically equipped 4R (if you install those upgrades yourself) though there are a few features that are standards that you cannot get on 4M. As for resale value if you’re going to be keeping one for a very long time then it might not matter much which one you get.

If you skip those upgrades (beside the mid SCVs kit) then the saving goes up further to maybe $4k and that might be just enough for someone on a budget who only need a basic functioning 4 series but want the ability to remove the loader quickly and easily. And be able to buy an implement or two with that saving.

·
Registered
John Deere 4052r
12 Posts
I think you would be happy regardless of which 4 series you choose. Personally, I have the 4052r and it has never failed to accomplish any task that I have put in front of it. I wanted to convince myself that I needed a 4066r when I was in the buying process, but I just couldn’t justify the price difference for what I actually needed the tractor to do. Wish you the best with your decision.

In freedom,

Joe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thank you.

I'm thinking the same. I don't need tons of extra PTO power because I don't use it for a living or farm. It's hurting my brain that I was just quoted 37,250 on a 44R with loaded rears, Ags, engine block heater, wheel spacers, etc. Not that it is a bad starting point; trade hasn't been assessed yet, just that that is what they cost. I know why a lot of people go the lesser known name route as it is about 8k in savings compared to the other quote for the Branson I got on a similarly equipped machine. Once the trade in gets assessed I am hoping it is a lot closer to give me some peace of mind. The 4044M would obviously be just as capable but the non quick attach loader concerns me (I love the thigh position of the loader joystick too), the nicer seat sounds nice, and the additional hitch assist is handy; though I've survived quite well without it thus far. I am hoping Deere treats me better on a trade in setup than the other guys will and help make it an easier decision when we get there. They're getting a 44R with the PowerReverser at a different location that isn't far away that I'll be able to check out soon. The 44R Hydros won't land until February ish.

The strange thing with Kubota is that they're a hair lower in price, but, once you add in their required insurance the price difference isn't as significant. They also charge a finance and paperwork fee of 300 dollars like a car dealership now. The MX5400 is a nice machine too; but, simpler. I will have to check in to the Branson loan setup and see if it's the same.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
My 44R was $38,500 in June 2019, equipped nearly the same. No wheel spacers or block heater and the dealer installed the 3rd SCV. The removable loader was non-negotiable. I had to have that as my loader is probably removed 50% of the time. I did have the dealer add the Faster one point connector to speed up the hydraulic connections. Sure you can get a 44M with a removable loader as suggested above with the joystick by your thigh, but by the time you get your dealer to make those changes, you’re nearly at the cost of the “R”. And then you don’t have any of the other options included with the “R”.

Once you use the Hitch Assist, you’ll forget all about the added price of the “R”. You already know what a PIA it is to block the tongue of an implement up so you can back into it or trying to align the pins to the 3 pt. while trying to move the implement around to get the pin aligned. Sure, telescoping links help, but they’re not needed with Hitch Assist. The automotive style cruise control is not available on the “M”. It’s set it and if you need to speed up or slow down, you have to disengage and set again. On the “R”, it’s a plus/minus button. Then there’s Speed Match, Power Match, tilt steering, swivel seat and a couple other options I’m probably forgetting about.

I‘ve never regretted spending the extra for the “R”. It’s the most comfortable tractor I’ve ever operated and it easily does anything I’ve asked of it. A 4052 or 4066 would do more, but I didn’t need it.

You’ll always do better selling your existing machine yourself vs trading. The only thing in your favor now is the fact that dealers have no stock. So, make the most of that.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts