Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We looked and priced all the similar models but my wife found a 4066M being practically given away and it had less than 40 hours on it. They threw in a mower and wheel weights for no extra so I figure I got a decent deal. This was right after stuff hit the fan last spring and business was really slow right before planting season. The previous owner only owned it a month or so and traded it back in for a 4066R with a cab. This one hadn't even had an implement attached and fresh paint still on the loader bucket.

Anyway we love the tractor and after looking at the 3 series it fits our needs very well. The 3 would have been too small for what I needed. I was looking at the 50hp range but I wasn't going to turn away the extra hp. The other good thing about the 4 series is it isn't too large and the wife feels very comfortable using it. I get complaints if I don't allow her to use it as we do our farm work.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm curious about your aversion to turbos - they help squeeze out more HP; the one on my '05 4720 with 1030hrs has given me zero problems. I've got 9ft garage doors, with my ROPS down, door clearance has never been an issue, I'm not looking to join the ran my ROPS into the door frame "hall of shame". I use cruise on the flats but not working in the trees, where the FEL must be watched,

Brian
I agree. Last summer I bought a 3720 and I read a lot about guys not wanting a turbocharged engine. Not sure why to be honest. They require no extra maintenance, just clean oil. And heck the engine itself likes that better anyway. My fear of a turbo would be if someone added one to a naturally aspirated engine. But from the factory no worries. Just look at all the big tractors, semis, and diesel pickups. I don’t ever hear much bad about the turbos in any of them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Between the 3 you've mentioned, I would go with the 4044, mainly just for the loader strength. The loader on the 4m/4r will lift about 400-500lbs more. If you go with the MSL version of the 440r than you're looking at almost 1000lbs more lift strength 500mm forward of the pivot pin. Even if you go with a Kubota MX, the 440R loader MSL version is still capable of 500lbs more lift capacity 500mm forward of the pivot pin. For loader strength, no one else is really able to match Deere in the compact utility class. You have to step up to a utility to gain more strength in another brand.

Rick

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Between the 3 you've mentioned, I would go with the 4044, mainly just for the loader strength. The loader on the 4m/4r will lift about 400-500lbs more. If you go with the MSL version of the 440r than you're looking at almost 1000lbs more lift strength 500mm forward of the pivot pin. Even if you go with a Kubota MX, the 440R loader MSL version is still capable of 500lbs more lift capacity 500mm forward of the pivot pin. For loader strength, no one else is really able to match Deere in the compact utility class. You have to step up to a utility to gain more strength in another brand.

Rick
Just checked out an MX at the local dealer. It’s a beautiful machine, albeit simpler than the R series Deere. Local dealer had a cabbed 4 series I got to crawl under and check out too. Still waiting to see the open station 4044R when they come in so I can do a test drive.
Going to check out a Kioti too just to say I did. It appears like the 4 series is kind of a unique tractor size for Deere compared to the others. The MX seems to be equally as much tractor while being less comfortable. And the price is basically the same after you add on a rear remote and their loan insurance.

Dealer told me they would happily take my 2032 in trade with the three factory implements and said they’re actually paying very high on trades for the time being as they can’t keep anything in stock; new or used. Hoping to do ok on that front.

I think I’ve decided against the MSL as I really don’t need it and I don’t do heavy loader work as a part of daily life. This will vastly outperform the 2032 and that will be more than functional for me.
Thanks again to everyone for their continued input.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Just look at all the big tractors, semis, and diesel pickups. I don’t ever hear much bad about the turbos in any of them.
dont hear about any turbo issues in a naturally aspirated engine :) .... there are pros n cons to both....but if you have to work on one lack of a turbo is one less mechanical layer to deal with ......if you take your stuff to the dealer i guess it doesnt matter...........FWIW i own more turbo diesels than i do nat-aspirated ones

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just checked out an MX at the local dealer. It’s a beautiful machine, albeit simpler than the R series Deere. Local dealer had a cabbed 4 series I got to crawl under and check out too. Still waiting to see the open station 4044R when they come in so I can do a test drive.
Going to check out a Kioti too just to say I did. It appears like the 4 series is kind of a unique tractor size for Deere compared to the others. The MX seems to be equally as much tractor while being less comfortable. And the price is basically the same after you add on a rear remote and their loan insurance.

Dealer told me they would happily take my 2032 in trade with the three factory implements and said they’re actually paying very high on trades for the time being as they can’t keep anything in stock; new or used. Hoping to do ok on that front.

I think I’ve decided against the MSL as I really don’t need it and I don’t do heavy loader work as a part of daily life. This will vastly outperform the 2032 and that will be more than functional for me.
Thanks again to everyone for their continued input.
Not sure how important the snow blowing side of things is but if you have long runs to clear or steep hills or frequent good size storms you might want to consider more hp. The 4044m gear drive shows just under 35 Pto hp which is similar to what I have in my 3720 which pulls a 74 inch blower. For my use 35 is enough but i would love more particularly uphill where my speed is about 2 mph less than down hill. Too, even in the summer the amount of slowing on uphills is a slight irritant. The 4044m with loader etc. would probably weigh at least 1000 lbs more and I would think that uphill travel while blowing snow might not be optimal. Its all tradeoffs and if you have a level drive or short runs its no big deal. Between everything i clear its about 1.5 miles with steep hills these days and i want to get done quickly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not sure how important the snow blowing side of things is but if you have long runs to clear or steep hills or frequent good size storms you might want to consider more hp. The 4044m gear drive shows just under 35 Pto hp which is similar to what I have in my 3720 which pulls a 74 inch blower. For my use 35 is enough but i would love more particularly uphill where my speed is about 2 mph less than down hill. Too, even in the summer the amount of slowing on uphills is a slight irritant. The 4044m with loader etc. would probably weigh at least 1000 lbs more and I would think that uphill travel while blowing snow might not be optimal. Its all tradeoffs and if you have a level drive or short runs its no big deal. Between everything i clear its about 1.5 miles with steep hills these days and i want to get done quickly.
My property Is basically flat so I think the 44 will do everything I need it to and then some. I’m in northern New England and our winters are much less snow intensive than they used to be. I know snowblowers will eat every last but of horsepower you give them. The sales guy is suggesting a 78 inch blower. I’m preferring to go with a 68 and add some slight extension ‘wings’ to get the ~72 and cover the wheel tracks. The driveway and everything I clean of snow is flat too. Shouldn’t be an issue for uphill climbs as I don’t have any. The sales guy owns a 78 and he just added wings to his. He has a 5 series so not the same; but, he’s going to let me know if he likes them or hates them in heavy wet snow. My driveway is only 100 yards ish but the wind blows like mad all the time. Need something with enough throw to get the snow gone and eliminate drift points.

Thanks for the input and things to consider. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My property Is basically flat so I think the 44 will do everything I need it to and then some. I’m in northern New England and our winters are much less snow intensive than they used to be. I know snowblowers will eat every last but of horsepower you give them. The sales guy is suggesting a 78 inch blower. I’m preferring to go with a 68 and add some slight extension ‘wings’ to get the ~72 and cover the wheel tracks. The driveway and everything I clean of snow is flat too. Shouldn’t be an issue for uphill climbs as I don’t have any. The sales guy owns a 78 and he just added wings to his. He has a 5 series so not the same; but, he’s going to let me know if he likes them or hates them in heavy wet snow. My driveway is only 100 yards ish but the wind blows like mad all the time. Need something with enough throw to get the snow gone and eliminate drift points.

Thanks for the input and things to consider. I really appreciate it.

Sounds good and makes sense, enjoy whatever you end up with

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Update.

Received an updated quote with trade in. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on an open station 4044R hydro. Dealer is adding one rear SCV (or remote; not sure if there’s a difference), loading rear tires, block heater, and welding some hooks on the bucket and painting it. They’re offering me 21 to trade in my 2032R with loader/mmm/blower. I think I paid 26 for it new 5 years ago. 37,250 on the 44R so a difference of 16 plus tax. I feel fairly good about the price.I qualify for some other incentive via theReward program so it might be a few hundred less than that when I get done. Need to do that research in the morning.
Really appreciate everyone’s advice and input, it was all very helpful.
They don’t have one in their dealership so no idea when I’ll get it in hand but excited to start the process tomorrow.

Next hunt will be for a zero turn; another topic I know nothing about!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The manual states that block heater is not needed above zero, but you will likely need it sometimes up north. I started my 4066R a number of times during this cold spell when near zero with no problems.

Dave

Reactions: vtlmbrjack

·
Registered
JD 4044M Power Reverser, 2020
6 Posts
I have a 4044m. I went with this choice for a few reasons. In 30+ years of tractor ownership I have never had a reason to remove a loader. In fact I would say 75% of what I do with this tractor involves either the loader or the forks. I do some mowing with it a few times a year after our hay is cut. I’m kind of old and had never had a tractor with the features the R series offers. So since I am cheap too, I could not justify the extra costs. I actually traded a 5 series in on this tractor because the 5 was simply too large and too heavy to use around here. I’m happy with it and love the Yanmar diesel. My tractor is a PowerReverser as I am not a hydro fan. But I think most people would prefer a hydro. It is certainly simpler to use for loader work. I have found the quality/fit and finish of the 4 series to be excellent and also would not want an aluminum housing. Of all the tractors I have owned it is the first one I have never had to return for warranty work. I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong… But I think regardless of which for series /model you choose, the hydraulics and lift capacity are very similar. I purchased my tractor and every tJD unit I have ever owned from Muttons. They are only 20 miles away so I never considered shopping anywhere else. I guess I didn’t know other dealers priced so exorbitantly.
I am also the owner of a 4044M with power reverser. Three months old. I added the third function for the grapple and would never consider removing the loader even if I had the option. The perfect machine for my 40 acres.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I am also the owner of a 4044M with power reverser. Three months old. I added the third function for the grapple and would never consider removing the loader even if I had the option. The perfect machine for my 40 acres.
I also never take my loader off the tractor. Well, actually I did it once about 5 years ago. I just take the bucket or forks off. Since I have the SSQA connectors, it is just a matter of flipping two levers and dropping the bucket/forks. Takes longer to get out of the cab. The loader gets used pretty much every day in some way when the tractor gets used. Today my neighbor and I were burning 4 big brush piles. I used the loader with bucket and the rear blade.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts