Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering adding the backhoe to my tractor . What are the differences between buying a FILB vs. adding it on ? Does the kit come with everything you need except the power beyond kit ? Should I have it installed or can it be installed at home ? If I have it installed , what would be a reasonable out the door price ?
Any advice would be appreciated . I have realized that I may not need it often , but it sucks when you need it and don't have it . Thanks

:usa:usa:usa :read :usa:usa:usa

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
124 Posts
The cost savings is in factory installed because - the frame on your scut isn't strong enough as is so along with the install kit is a frame that will slide inside your existing frame and once everything is back together will be essentially a double frame. Cost vary slightly by dealer so it depends on your comfort level how far you are willing to tear your machine down to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KE8LW and rtgt

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Well, installing a BH isn't just adding on items. There are allot of items that are different. For one, you didn't say whether you have an FEL on the tractor. You will need an FEL as the BH frame attaches to the FEL frame. The other items that are changed are: the toolbox mount is rotated so that the toolbox is parallel with the tractor rather than perpendicular, the rear PTO guard is different. The right side of the guard is rubber, the ROPS lights are mounted higher and the seat is mounted to a swivel mount.
So, you would want to ask if the BH kit includes new toolbox mount bracket, new PTO guard, the swivel seat mount and the longer wiring harnesses to move the ROPS lights higher not to mention the power beyond kit.
The BH and power beyond kit will set up back about $5375.00 plus, plus, plus for the other items. I know the rotating seat bracket is crazy expensive if you have to buy it separate. I believe it is around $600.00
Whatever you decide, be sure to way all the costs. It may be more cost effective to trade in the non FILB on an FILB. If you buy the FILB, you get the longer warranty on all attachments.
Good luck!!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Wait a second. When I bought my 1025r the big selling point over the BX was that it was a piece of cake to add the backhoe at a later date. Yes a couple mods have to be done, but I was told the frame is exactly the same and no changes would be needed and no additions. As long as you have the H120 loader. Are you saying that is not the case?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,855 Posts
Wait a second. When I bought my 1025r the big selling point over the BX was that it was a piece of cake to add the backhoe at a later date. Yes a couple mods have to be done, but I was told the frame is exactly the same and no changes would be needed and no additions. As long as you have the H120 loader. Are you saying that is not the case?

That is correct. You can get all the parts needed to make a tractor identical to a factory TLB. :good2: There is no differences between the frames or other parts, just additional ones that make a TLB. For example, the subframe is added to the regular tractor frame for reinforcements. The power beyond hydraulic loop is added as well.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts

If I understand correctly the mounts for the BH attach to the frame giving you an attachment point and also spreads the load out across the frame.

In the case of the BX, this has to be done during assembly at the factory and cannot be done afterwards as an upgrade.

It was all in the fine print....:lol:

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
6 Posts
1025 tlb

When I got mine I was torn about getting the backhoe, one salesman at one dealer said it isn't hard or too expensive to add on later. Went to another dealer and asked about it, he said if people come in with a 1025 and want to add one later, he recommends they trade it in, and buy a factory one. Just cheaper in the long run to get it as a package deal. Did a little research calling dealers farther away and they all had similar opinions, if you think you will add it in later just buy it all at once.

Reactions: romcjr and Ray_PA

·
Registered
618 Posts
That is correct. You can get all the parts needed to make a tractor identical to a factory TLB. :good2: There is no differences between the frames or other parts, just additional ones that make a TLB. For example, the subframe is added to the regular tractor frame for reinforcements. The power beyond hydraulic loop is added as well.
See they said there was no subframe, you just remove the 3-Point arms and connect the BH arms in place. Plug in the Power Beyond which I installed aftermarket in about 4 hours. And other than moving toolbox and changing seat plate to a swivel you are good to go. They said lights don't have to move as they are not technically in the way. The only reason for the H120 was for stability on front end, but the BH doesn't actually connect to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with Mr jimmy and everyone else. I have the 1025r filb and the dealer said buy the hoe factory installed. Best way to go. Take your time and decide if it's going to be used or if the couple tasks can be accomplished without it by another way. You'll never know the future really. It is awesome to have.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hiya,

One factor you need to keep in mind when deciding to get a back hoe of your own is the amount of time you will actually use it vs the cost factor. If your planning on using it once or twice every week for the duration of ownership, then it makes very good sense to invest in one. However, if you don't see a lot of use past the first weeks of owning it, then you may be better off in the long run by renting a 3 or 5 ton excavator for a day or 2 to do your projects.

Another factor is that a 3 ton excavator will run circles around 1, 2 or 3 series backhoe. The rate of work is what separates a tractor/back hoe from an excavator. What may take you a full day to accomplish with the small BH on a 1 series can be done in a couple hours, maybe less with an excavator.

The place down the road from me rents 3 ton excavators for $250/8 hours and 5 ton units for $350/8 hours. You can rent one for a day or 2, get your projects done quickly and save a bunch of cash.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hiya,

One factor you need to keep in mind when deciding to get a back hoe of your own is the amount of time you will actually use it vs the cost factor. If your planning on using it once or twice every week for the duration of ownership, then it makes very good sense to invest in one. However, if you don't see a lot of use past the first weeks of owning it, then you may be better off in the long run by renting a 3 or 5 ton excavator for a day or 2 to do your projects.

Another factor is that a 3 ton excavator will run circles around 1, 2 or 3 series backhoe. The rate of work is what separates a tractor/back hoe from an excavator. What may take you a full day to accomplish with the small BH on a 1 series can be done in a couple hours, maybe less with an excavator.

The place down the road from me rents 3 ton excavators for $250/8 hours and 5 ton units for $350/8 hours. You can rent one for a day or 2, get your projects done quickly and save a bunch of cash.
Tomd999 makes a good point. I have a backhoe for my 3320. Used it once two years ago and took it off. I would like to use it more but it takes some work to put it back on and I use my 3 point hitch so much I end up not putting it on. When I purchased the tractor the dealer said he would knock 3K off the price if I didn't want the backhoe. I figured 3K for it was a good deal. Not so sure now, I could have rented a 3 ton excavator for 12 hours for the same amount. Jury still out on my decision.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I inquired about a BH for my 44R. The salesman gave me what I think to be solid advice. Think long and hard about how much you will use it. You can make a lot of weekend rentals of a mini-X for a small fraction of the additional cost of BH.

There is also the satisfaction of DIY that I understand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hiya,

This is the reason I did not get the backhoe. It is much cheaper to rent a mini trackhoe once you get a few jobs that need it around the house. It will work three times as fast. And you are out a couple hundred bucks. It just didn't make sense.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have used the argument myself that it is more cost effective to go the mini-excavator route then to purchase a backhoe for the 1-series. The thing is I like the option of being able to do it. Granted, if I found another great deal like I missed out on here recently to get a used 260BH for $1200 (it had a small dent and was sold as used) then I would go that route rather than buying another expensive toy. But, honestly for what I need it for the mini-tracked-excavator is probably the better option. I have really steep ditches and in bad need of cleaning.

Considering if I get one building a mini mower to help mow said ditches.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I go the route of the Mini-Ex. I've got a rental place that will drop off friday afternoon and pick up monday morning as a 1 day rental. 8 machine hours are included, if you go over, it is billed hourly for the extras. When I'm digging stumps out, I plan on doing enough so that the excavator is cheaper than hiring a stump grinder and I get the whole thing out.

This stump was hard enough to dig out with this machine. The CAT couldn't lift it, I had to dig a ramp and slide it out.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
See they said there was no subframe, you just remove the 3-Point arms and connect the BH arms in place. Plug in the Power Beyond which I installed aftermarket in about 4 hours. And other than moving toolbox and changing seat plate to a swivel you are good to go. They said lights don't have to move as they are not technically in the way. The only reason for the H120 was for stability on front end, but the BH doesn't actually connect to it.

"They" were wrong. There is an entire sub-frame that attaches to the FEL frame, runs under the main frame of the tractor and attaches to the BH mount frame that is attached at the rear of the tractor. Essentially, when the BH is attached to the tractor, there is pretty much no additional forces applied to the main frame of the tractor, the sub-frame takes the additional forces. Also, the FEL provides front counterweight when the BH is attached along with stabilizing the front end when digging.
It isn't that a BH cannot be added, it can. But it isn't just adding the power beyond and go. Concerning the lights, they probably can be left at the lower position as they wouldn't be in your way when operating. I believe JD moves them up so they can be seen better from the rear with the BH attached.
Concerning, is the BH worth it. It all depends what you want to do. They are pretty impressive but they are a small BH. They work, not as fast.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Regarding an install of a BH after the fact, there have been several GTT members that have done just that. Here is just 1 link with embedded links to other threads:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/10863-260-backhoe-diy-initial-installation.html

Here are some random thoughts on this subject.
Whether you want to buy your own backhoe or rent a mini EX is just personal preference.

Yes a mini EX will dig holes around a tractor mounted backhoe.
Yes a mini EX will probably have much more digging power than a tractor mounted backhoe.
Yes a mini EX has much more reach than a tractor mounted BH.
Yes a mini EX can swing almost 360 degrees and a tractor mounted backhoe can only swing about 160 degrees.
Yes a few occasional rentals of a mini EX is a lot less expensive than buying a tractor mounted backhoe.

But ...
You may have to reserve the rental, and it may not be available when you want/need it.
Delivery and pickup may be a hassle if you want to be home when it arrives and gets picked up (in case damage to home or machine occurs, I'd want to be there).
You're on the clock when you rent, so you'd need to line up your projects and get everything done before your time is up.
Mini EX's usually have tracks, which may cause some damage to my lawn going from point A to B, especially if it is wet.

I have a backhoe because:
I can go out into my backyard and dig a hole whenever I need/want to.
My backyard is just full of rocks in clay. Digging by hand just gets old real fast.
When my wife wants me to plant a new tree/shrub she bought, my backhoe is much easier than a shovel and I probably wouldn't rent a mini EX for 1 bush.
After I plant something and my wife changes her mind the following weekend ... No problem to move it to another location.
A small backhoe has been on my bucket list for years ... finally pulled the trigger because I wasn't getting any younger and the timing was right.
As I get older, things I want seem to be more easily justified.
As I am told ... You can't take it (money) with you, might as well enjoy it while you can.

Everyone's situation is different. No right or wrong in buying versus renting, depends on when and how often you may have a project for it and what you want to spend your money on.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Regarding an install of a BH after the fact, there have been several GTT members that have done just that. Here is just 1 link with embedded links to other threads:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/10863-260-backhoe-diy-initial-installation.html

Here are some random thoughts on this subject.
Whether you want to buy your own backhoe or rent a mini EX is just personal preference.

Yes a mini EX will dig holes around a tractor mounted backhoe.
Yes a mini EX will probably have much more digging power than a tractor mounted backhoe.
Yes a mini EX has much more reach than a tractor mounted BH.
Yes a mini EX can swing almost 360 degrees and a tractor mounted backhoe can only swing about 160 degrees.
Yes a few occasional rentals of a mini EX is a lot less expensive than buying a tractor mounted backhoe.

But ...
You may have to reserve the rental, and it may not be available when you want/need it.
Delivery and pickup may be a hassle if you want to be home when it arrives and gets picked up (in case damage to home or machine occurs, I'd want to be there).
You're on the clock when you rent, so you'd need to line up your projects and get everything done before your time is up.
Mini EX's usually have tracks, which may cause some damage to my lawn going from point A to B, especially if it is wet.

I have a backhoe because:
I can go out into my backyard and dig a hole whenever I need/want to.
My backyard is just full of rocks in clay. Digging by hand just gets old real fast.
When my wife wants me to plant a new tree/shrub she bought, my backhoe is much easier than a shovel and I probably wouldn't rent a mini EX for 1 bush.
After I plant something and my wife changes her mind the following weekend ... No problem to move it to another location.
A small backhoe has been on my bucket list for years ... finally pulled the trigger because I wasn't getting any younger and the timing was right.
As I get older, things I want seem to be more easily justified.
As I am told ... You can't take it (money) with you, might as well enjoy it while you can.

Everyone's situation is different. No right or wrong in buying versus renting, depends on when and how often you may have a project for it and what you want to spend your money on.

Just my 2 cents.
Well said. We don't always justify what we buy. We buy bigger trucks than we need, cars we don't need, etc. So why not a backhoe. I also like being able to do projects on my time schedule.
Yes, if you have a big project you will need a mini excavator or bigger.
It really comes down to, can you afford it, do you have use for it, do you want it and can you store it. Probably in that order.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's cheaper to buy a push mower and a shovel but what fun is that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lolol: Been there done that !! That's why I'm here asking all you guys for help !!! :lolol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts