Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm hoping that some of you may have some experience with these units and can offer some comparative feedback. I'm struggling with making a decision here. I currently have an 05 x495 diesel with 62" mower and am considering selling it for a 2305 with a 62" mower, FEL and 3pt. Since my x495 has none of these accessories on it (I realize that I can add them).

My priorities are mowing, general use of FEL for piling brush, maintaining 1300ft gravel driveway and firewood and using a rear blade on the 3pt for driveway maintenance.

Obviously the 2035 has more functionality with having the loader and limited cat1 over the x495, however I'm wondering if it will be a down-grade on cutting grass as I do quite a bit of mowing. Not commercial mowing... It's just that I have 6-7 acres that I keep mowed around the house and barn. Any opinions on these two machines or recommendations? Would I be better of adding the loader and 3pt to the x495?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hello all, I'm hoping that some of you may have some experience with these units and can offer some comparative feedback. I'm struggling with making a decision here. I currently have an 05 x495 diesel with 62" mower and am considering selling it for a 2305 with a 62" mower, FEL and 3pt. Since my x495 has none of these accessories on it (I realize that I can add them).

My priorities are mowing, general use of FEL for piling brush, maintaining 1300ft gravel driveway and firewood and using a rear blade on the 3pt for driveway maintenance.

Obviously the 2035 has more functionality with having the loader and limited cat1 over the x495, however I'm wondering if it will be a down-grade on cutting grass as I do quite a bit of mowing. Not commercial mowing... It's just that I have 6-7 acres that I keep mowed around the house and barn. Any opinions on these two machines or recommendations? Would I be better of adding the loader and 3pt to the x495?

Thanks!
Everyone will have different opinions but I'm fairly confident you will be far happier with the capabilities and usability of the 2305 toting around a fel verses the x495. Once you have the 3 point capability it's almost a sure bet you will continue to find implements that you will want to use on it and the 2305 will certainly broaden your attachment availability over the x495. On the grass cutting quality, this is were you will see a lot of different opinions. I personally would say the quality of cut is well enough to be satisfied therefore allowing you to be overjoyed with all the superior factors the 2305 has with the fel being the main factor for the switch between the two tractors.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Jcrist,

My vote is for the upgrade. My 2305 does a great job mowing and you are correct, the added capability will be well worth it. I say upgrade and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I may be wrong but I was thinking the x495 is a 2 wheel drive only, if this is correct then the 2305 is even more of an incentive simply to have the MFWD when it comes to wanting a front end loader.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
My 2305 does an outstanding job mowing with the 62 inch deck. Sometimes I would slip and let the grass get a little high and then I just need to adjust speed to get mowing quality. (I run the mulling kit) I bought mine used (400hrs) and the deck was in bad shape. I have replaced many of the deck components and she runs fine now. Previous owner primarily just used as a mower for 10 years. It took allot of penetrating oil and three days of wriggling around just to get the mid PTO shaft to release so I could drop the deck the 1st time. Not only was the release rusted hard the shaft sections were also rusted solid. Once off and greased they work like a champ now.

The only issue I have in the summer is the seat gets really warm after about an hour. Hot air coming up under the seat from the transaxle.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
What year 2305 are you looking at? I really like my 2305, and as one gets older a FEL is a god send...So I say upgrade, you will be very happy

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Jcrist,

Do you have any history on the 2305 and how it was used, hours, and maintained?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unless your financially strapped, buy the 2305 and keep the X machine. You hop on one and let the wife (or whoever) hop on the other and you will have your acres mowed in no time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The 2305 is grass cutting monster. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
I'm with Randy , I was happy with the 2305, but look at the # of hrs, and when it was maintained. One thing you will want to check is the fan for the hyd stat . Make sure no blades missing on the fan , and that is doesn't turn when the engine is turned off. They make a after market fan guard well worth the money.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have that combination on my 2305 and am fairly pleased. My only negative experience with cut quality is that my yard is not flat and the 62" deck is too big. You are already using a 62" deck, so I don't see how you would be negatively impacted in that regard. Otherwise, I love my machine. I am very sensitive to heat and normally mow for over an hour. I have never experience the heat from the transaxle. I always mow in low, I don't feel like this machine has enough power to mow in high. But I never really want for more speed while mowing.

I often wonder what I am missing with the newer machine. I am pleased enough with my machine, that I think it would be bad news if I ever spent any time on a new 1-series.

Lee

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jcrist,

Do you have any history on the 2305 and how it was used, hours, and maintained?
Thanks everyone for the advice. It's a 2009 with 864 hours. It's with it's second owner now, I would be the third. The guy currently just mows 3 acres with it. Said that he's selling it to buy a zero turn rider since he doesn't ever use the loader and just doesn't need a tractor. He tells me that he bought it from a guy that he has known all of his life who he said always takes meticulous care of his equipment. (That's what a lot of people say though)...

It does however appear to be in very nice condition. No dents or dings, nothing broken or bent as far as I can tell. It appears to be in perfect order both mechanically and cosmetically. It's never been painted on or had any restoration work according to the seller and I don't see any evidence of it. It appears to be in original, very clean condition. The guy is including a small rear blade (County Line brand from TS). It is however missing the top link for the 3pt hitch. Also, they guy replaced the stock ROPS with a folding one because of mowing around/under trees. So, the original ROPS bar is included as well. The loader bucket appears to still have mostly all of the original paint on it and looks to be in just about perfect condition.

Do you think the hours seem high? Thoughts?

Here are a couple of pictures of it.
1.jpg
3.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
It does look to be in good shape. The folding ROPS is a nice addition. FWIW I put about 100 hours a years on my machine, which is about what that 2305 averages out to be. I think care and consistent maintenance are just as important, if not more so than the hours.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Jcrist,

I think that the hours are a little on the high side for the year of the machine, but nothing I'd worry about. For example, my 2305 is a 2009 also and I think is in the 500-600 hour range. These machines are well built and can last for thousands of hours of use if properly cared for. The only weak point on these machines are the driveshaft u-joints, they need to be lubricated often. I highly recommend you remove the mower and inspect them. If the u-joints are tight, you have nothing to worry about. You may want to ask the owner his maintenance schedule for them. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More pictures...
2.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That's a clean machine and from looking at the bucket I'd say it hasn't been used much if that's original paint. I would see the rops as a bonus for how I would use the tractor. The hours wouldn't bother me, especially if I was feeling good about the asking price. If the tractor went into service the summer of '09 and assuming it's been used little since fall of '16, that's only 123 hours a year which seems reasonable to me. How many hours do you have on your x495? You will most likely use the 2305 more so than you have the x495 for the loader work but using your current hours on the x should give you a close estimate on how many more years you could run the 2305 to determine if in theory you will get your monies worth from it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I see another sign that the tractor hasn't done much loader work. My tractor has half the hours this 2305 has and there is hardly any paint left on my hydrostat peddles. My boot has rubbed it off of both peddles throughly. The peddles on this 2305 appear to be used for mostly forward travel so in my opinion not a lot of forward and reverse travel as is done with loader work. Looks like this 2305 goes forward mostly and like mentioned probable just slinging grass out has been its main duty. The edging side of deck is extremely clean! Not much scraping against stuff like I do with mowers commercially. I'd say this tractor has spent most it's life roaming in wide open spaces grazing just like the deer should be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a clean machine and from looking at the bucket I'd say it hasn't been used much if that's original paint. I would see the rops as a bonus for how I would use the tractor. The hours wouldn't bother me, especially if I was feeling good about the asking price. If the tractor went into service the summer of '09 and assuming it's been used little since fall of '16, that's only 123 hours a year which seems reasonable to me. How many hours do you have on your x495? You will most likely use the 2305 more so than you have the x495 for the loader work but using your current hours on the x should give you a close estimate on how many more years you could run the 2305 to determine if in theory you will get your monies worth from it.
Good advice, thanks for pointing that out. I only have 300hrs on my x495 and it's a 2004. For the past two years, I've mowed around 3 - 3.5hrs per week. So, I'm averaging between 100-110 hrs per year for the past two years. My circumstance with the x495 is probably a little unusual since up until 2014, it was overkill for mowing a 1 acre lot in a subdivision. :laugh:

Heck, now that I really think about it, if I use the 2035 for all my mowing and FEL work, I'll average more than 123 hrs per year most likely.

·
Premium Member
14,745 Posts
Looks to be in very good shape and it is clean, like others doesn't appear like the FEL was used very much from the looks of the pedals.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Unless your financially strapped, buy the 2305 and keep the X machine. You hop on one and let the wife (or whoever) hop on the other and you will have your acres mowed in no time.
^^^^^^^^ What he said!!! ^^^^^^^^ :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts