Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the guys showed up to set posts and started framing our shop today. We specified a 10' lean to on one side. My brain assumed a 10' opening into the lean. What we got is a 103" opening not including posts. With posts it is 113".

If post width should be included in total width, then I would think the opening should be 110".

This wouldn't be an issue, but this lean to was for our trailer, which unfortunately is 105" wide. Am I ignorant of some common knowledge construction width thingy?

It would be a pretty easy fix at this point, probably a lot more difficult to remedy after tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
If I understand your post correctly, you are building a shed of some sort and as an add-on, you requested a lean-to be built on one side of that shed and specified that the lean-to be 10'?

Typically a lean-to is spec'd to the drip-line. So if you ask for a 10' lean-to you get 10' of covered area as measured from the exterior wall of the shed. But the posts for that are pretty much never going to be out at the 10' marker. Posts are set 12"-16" in from the 10' line. The support beams are mounted at the top of the posts and then your roof rafters rest on the support beams and run out past them.

Here's a drawing of a lean to spec'd out to 15' 10".

1AttachedTT1.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand your post correctly, you are building a shed of some sort and as an add-on, you requested a lean-to be built on one side of that shed and specified that the lean-to be 10'?

Typically a lean-to is spec'd to the drip-line. So if you ask for a 10' lean-to you get 10' of covered area as measured from the exterior wall of the shed. But the posts for that are pretty much never going to be out at the 10' marker. Posts are set 12"-16" in from the 10' line. The support beams are mounted at the top of the posts and then your roof rafters rest on the support beams and run out past them.

Here's a drawing of a lean to spec'd out to 15' 10".

View attachment 687280
You understand the post perfectly, and confirm my idiocy. That's a bummer, but I appreciate the info, wish they would have explained that to me.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You understand the post perfectly, and confirm my idiocy. That's a bummer, but I appreciate the info, wish they would have explained that to me.

No idiocy on your part, a novice shouldn’t reasonably be expected to know the nuances of construction. Your professional (the builder) should have done a better job of confirming you’re INTENT before he built anything for you. You’re not only paying for his skill as a builder but for his ability to correctly interpret his clients intentions-he could have easily managed this with a couple simple questions. “What do you intend this lean to for”, or something like “would you like 10’ total or 10’ clear openings?

Did you approve a working or approved set of drawings for this lean to that the builder provided?

I’d address this ASAP with the builder and ask him how he is going to remedy the issue to your satisfaction without undue additional cost to you-you should expect to pay for the correct materials for your intent but not their rework or incorrect material.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idiocy on your part, a novice shouldn’t reasonably be expected to know the nuances of construction. Your professional (the builder) should have done a better job of confirming you’re INTENT before he built anything for you. You’re not only paying for his skill as a builder but for his ability to correctly interpret his clients intentions-he could have easily managed this with a couple simple questions. “What do you intend this lean to for”, or something like “would you like 10’ total or 10’ clear openings?

Did you approve a working or approved set of drawings for this lean to that the builder provided?

I’d address this ASAP with the builder and ask him how he is going to remedy the issue to your satisfaction without undue additional cost to you-you should expect to pay for the correct materials for your intent but not their rework or incorrect material.
I understand that when you deal with something every day, that you can start to think it's common knowledge. I get that from the salesman's part. He didn't confirm our intent for specificity, and the drawings just show 10', cant really tell where that 10' is. I didn't even think to ask.

I'm going to try to get in touch with them first thing in the morning. Right now the lean posts aren't tied in with the building, so hopefully its fixable for small $. Thanks for your viewpoint.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
I'm going to try to get in touch with them first thing in the morning. Right now the lean posts aren't tied in with the building, so hopefully its fixable for small $. Thanks for your viewpoint.
He should be able to pull the posts and reset them. He may need to do some swapping of materials for the rest of it. If he ordered 10' 2x material for rafters and such he'll need to exchange those for longer boards. When you talk to him tell him that you need 10' of clearspan in order to park your trailer under there. He can probably do that by extending you out to 12' at the drip line.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He should be able to pull the posts and reset them. He may need to do some swapping of materials for the rest of it. If he ordered 10' 2x material for rafters and such he'll need to exchange those for longer boards. When you talk to him tell him that you need 10' of clearspan in order to park your trailer under there. He can probably do that by extending you out to 12' at the drip line.
Good to know, guess the right terminology makes all the difference. Never had anything built before, so there's a lot for me to learn. Hopefully that's all I misunderstood.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
if your gonna make them move the posts............

Go to 12'......thank me later.:cheers:

·
Registered
814 Posts
in ordering a building ....typically all nominal measurements of a building IE a 40 x 50 x 12 ....are all measured to the outside of the structure or otherwise said to the inside of the metal skin.........then all structure size is deducted from that to get inside measurements

if you require specific clearances inside a building it need to be specifically stated .....since it offers the builder the ability to use possibly smaller posts on closer spaces etc vs a larger footprint to achive the same results thus lower costs..

as stated above talk to him Immediately ...work it out....even if it costs more ....the building needs to fit the purpose or its useless....

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Like Jim and theduke said. Go 12’.
In the construction world
12’ cost a little more than 10’ but 12’ cost pretty much the same as 10’ plus a few inches.

Also i agree with above where someone should have explained things better. That’s why you hire a professional contractor. They should know these things. I do finish carpentry work and I’d have to redo plenty of things if I did what the customer wanted every time.

·
Registered
536 Posts

I am building and I went to 14 ft . . . the extra width makes parking and storing so much easier

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I am building and I went to 14 ft . . . the extra width makes parking and storing so much easier
Well they said 12’ but everyone knows to go as big as possible if you can. You can never have to much shed. I’ve never seen a man say “dag um. I should have went smaller” :lol:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Title is Construction Dummy Question. I thought someone was calling for me.:lolol:

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
If you are going to meet with the builder about this - how about telling him exactly what you want to do with it? If it’s to park your trailer - tell him that and show him your trailer. He should know what to do and take it from there.

No real need to know the construction terms and measurements - just “I want this to go in there”.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are going to meet with the builder about this - how about telling him exactly what you want to do with it? If it’s to park your trailer - tell him that and show him your trailer. He should know what to do and take it from there.

No real need to know the construction terms and measurements - just “I want this to go in there”.
I did tell him, and showed him the trailer, but I guess it didn't register. Learning experience for next time. The salesman hemmed and hawwed when I talked to him this morning, so i circumvented and called the framer who was on site and he made it right for me. Really nice guy, he wasn't too keen on the sales force however. Should have a finished product shortly I hope. Thanks for you guys' input.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I did tell him, and showed him the trailer, but I guess it didn't register. Learning experience for next time. The salesman hemmed and hawwed when I talked to him this morning, so i circumvented and called the framer who was on site and he made it right for me. Really nice guy, he wasn't too keen on the sales force however. Should have a finished product shortly I hope. Thanks for you guys' input.

Learning experience for him next time. If you showed him then he should fix it for free. No questions asked.

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts

What they said! :good2: Get it done the way you want now as retrofitting later will be far more expensive.

Well, there's the problem. I'm guessing the salesman knows about as much as the average customer does about the product he sells. :banghead:

Unfortunately a lot of residential grade construction relies on 'rectal engineering' (e.g. pull it out of their ass) based on vague instructions and drawings. :banghead:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Good lesson to learn

I understand your frustration. I have done quite a bit of construction for myself over the years. It is easy to forget about this factor in construction. I built a 24X40 detached garage at my old house. I knew what I was building, but in my mind it was always 24' deep. In reality, though, I had just over 23' x 39' of usable space with 2X4 exterior walls. When i had this house built, I told the builder that I wanted a 24X36 attached garage. He quoted a price I could live with. When the final plans where in my hands, I was pleasantly surprised that I would have a finished interior dimension of 24X36. Since this house is built with 2X6 walls and he continued that out into the garage, I gained over a foot of interior space in both dimensions over what I expected. As others have said, it is a balance of your expectations and the communications with the contractor.

Sadly, though, since there has already been one miscommunication, I would watch closely as the project proceeds and make sure you don't observe any others. It is easy to make assumptions. Finish items like trim, weatherproofing, gutters/downspouts, final grading, etc. are sometimes not delivered if they were not explicitly specified in the agreement.

Meanwhile, is there a thread with pictures???

Lee

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand your frustration. I have done quite a bit of construction for myself over the years. It is easy to forget about this factor in construction. I built a 24X40 detached garage at my old house. I knew what I was building, but in my mind it was always 24' deep. In reality, though, I had just over 23' x 39' of usable space with 2X4 exterior walls. When i had this house built, I told the builder that I wanted a 24X36 attached garage. He quoted a price I could live with. When the final plans where in my hands, I was pleasantly surprised that I would have a finished interior dimension of 24X36. Since this house is built with 2X6 walls and he continued that out into the garage, I gained over a foot of interior space in both dimensions over what I expected. As others have said, it is a balance of your expectations and the communications with the contractor.

Sadly, though, since there has already been one miscommunication, I would watch closely as the project proceeds and make sure you don't observe any others. It is easy to make assumptions. Finish items like trim, weatherproofing, gutters/downspouts, final grading, etc. are sometimes not delivered if they were not explicitly specified in the agreement.

Meanwhile, is there a thread with pictures???

Lee
Lol no build thread. Pretty simple compared to some of the elaborate shops on here. 24x50, side by the house will be garage and other side will be storage/shop. 16x8 garage door and 10x8 roll up door. Full depth lean to and full length lean to on the back for tractor and implements etc. Thinking about lighting and electrical now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got slab and sheet metal all done. Just waiting on the garage doors now. They're saying 3 weeks after pouring before parking on the slab (4" with rebar) That sounds like a CYA amount of time to me?? I'm seeing 7-10 days looking around at various sources. Which sounds reasonable to yall?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts