Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed the construction of a Striper attachment for my 1025r. I only used it one time this season and it worked great! CIMG5820.JPG STC_0133.JPG CIMG5822.JPG CIMG5821.JPG It will really get tested next season.
Here is how I constructed the striper. I bought a 56 inch cut off piece of schedule 40 10 inch PVC from a contractor for $25.00 to use as the roller. I bought 2 each 10 inch pneumatic tire and hub assemblies(item # 69385) for $3.99 a piece from Harbor Fright to support the roller. I made the axle(53-5/8 inches long), hitch shaft(58 inches long) and 4 each hanger arm end bearings(1-1/4 inches long) from 3/4 inch schedule 80 steel pipe. I taped the ends of the axle and hitch shaft with a 5/8 inch tap 11 threads per inch to a depth of 1-3/4 inches. I fabricated two hanger arms from 1 inch square tubing and welded the 1-1/4 inch bearings on both ends(8 1/4 inches center to center). I modified the tire and hub assemblies by drilling a hole for the valve stem on the opposite side of the hub and also drilled a hole to install a grease fitting. The reason for this it use the hub to provide the extension beyond the ends of the PVC roller and still be able to service the tire and grease the bearings. I then constructed the axle assembly by installing 6 inch 5/8 inch all thread on both end, installed the tire and hub assemblies and the hanger arm on one end of the axle using 1/16 inch washers on both sides of the tire and hub assembly and on the hanger arm and installed a 5/8 in fiber-lock nut. (The inside washer on the tire and hub assembly has to have reduced diameter to allow it to only contact the bearing and not the hub assembly. Be careful not to over tighten the 5/8 inch fiber-lock nut). I then deflated the tires and slid the axle assembly into the PVC so the it extended beyond the PVC on both end by 7/8 inch. I re-inflated the tires to 25 PSIG to hold the axle in place. I then installed the remaining hanger arm and installed the Striper on the tractor by sliding the hanger shaft through the ends of the 3 point lifting arms and holding in place with 2 each 13/16 inch double spit steel shaft collars and installed the hanger arms to the hanger shaft using 5/8 inch bolts 3 inches long with 1/16 in washer on both sides of the hanger arm bearing. I then adjusted for no-sway on the 3-point. CIMG5820.JPG STC_0133.JPG CIMG5822.JPG CIMG5821.JPG Construction cost was approximately $90.00 as much of the materials was on hand. I bought the 3/4 inch pipe, the PVC and the tire and hub assemblies and had the welding done by a pro. See attached pic's. Make it any length by adjusting the measurements. No additional weight is required.

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
Excellent job. I bet you could sell those if you wanted........Seriously, you may want to consider building and selling these.

I love the ingenuity of our GTT members......(y)

Just keep in mind that for the larger decks, the tube length is going to lead to possible over sized pricing issues for some shippers, so leave room in your shipping estimates when calculating all of this to see if it is viable as a marketable item to the masses.

One thing I noticed about most striping kits is that in order to give the stripes a more consistent appearance, often the striping wheel is a couple of inches narrower than the actual cutting width of the deck. From trying a couple of different things myself, I found if you don't have the striping wheel (or roller or brush or whatever it is) the full width of the mowers cut, it gives a better visual appearance as it allows a narrow strip between the rows which stands up, giving the actual striped areas better "visual definition". Simply an observation, for what its worth.

Also, you can make a nice striping kit using a asphalt brush strip, as you really just want to tip all of the grass in that "stripe" in the same direction for the appearance of a stripe.

One last point for anyone making these, especially if using the 3 point hitch, be careful to not put too much down pressure on the lawn as soil compaction leads to grass thinning and disease over time.........

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Outstanding work. I'll be making one in the spring and a tip of the Hatlo hat to you sir.

Reactions: Danny D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At my age(86+) I have no interest in getting into any business venture, I provided the idea/information so that anyone can build one or many if they like the idea. If you develop any improvements to the striper please share the information. Thanks for the replies!

·
Super Moderator
3,439 Posts
Amazing! Just makes for more seat time. Ingenious (y)

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
(y) (y)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hats off to you sir !
At my age(86+) I have no interest in getting into any business venture, I provided the idea/information so that anyone can build one or many if they like the idea. If you develop any improvements to the striper please share the information. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Pretty neat! Good work.
How has it held up thus far?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hats off to you sir !
jermedic, Thanks for the interest.
Pretty neat! Good work.
How has it held up thus far?
SRG, I'll be installing the striper tomorrow. I ended up using the striper twice last season and it worked fine. I expect it to perform without problems this season. Thanks for the interest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts