Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm in a rare bunch considering this option, but at the moment I'm considering upgrading my 3039r cab to a 4044m open station. The reason being, I'm looking to add a backhoe, and I'm not sure I'm really using the 3039r cab effectively for what it is. I ran the numbers, and depending on what the dealer would give me on trade, it would cost me the same amount to buy a 375a backhoe for my 3039r as it would be to trade the 3039r in and upgrade to a 4044m with 400e loader and 485a backhoe brand new. About 11k either way doing the math. I only have 65 hours on the 3039r. While I thoroughly enjoy the 3039r, the cab unfortunately has not served the purpose of being able to cut grass without my allergies being effected. I've cut about 3 times with my 3039r, (about 5 acres each time,) and each time I've ended up with bad sinus infections, which to me is saying the cab isn't blocking the allergens as I felt it would. In the past when I would cut grass on an open station model I would just wear a respirator the whole time and everything was fine, I've done that for years. So right now the most I used the 3039r for is loader work, which really isn't a whole lot right now, or running the recycling/trash cans down the 1/4 mile driveway. A gross miss use of the machine, honestly. I bought the 72D auto connect deck to go with the 3039r, but sadly it's only seen 3 hours of use and has been tucked away on storage stands for the last year in my shop. I've used a RFM most of the time because I found the 72D just kicked up way to much thatch on the grille of the 3039r and I would have to constantly get out and clean it. So that has been a wasted purchased unfortunately.

Recently I've come across a lot of jobs where a backhoe would be very useful. If I buy a 375a for the 3039r then I would be looking at 11k out of pocket. I thought of selling the 72D to fund a portion of that, but I'm really not keen about dropping that much cash out of pocket for it. I'd much rather finance it if possible, but that's really not an option on attachments. If buying a 485a on a 4044m then I can financing it out and still keep the cash in my pocket. I realize the M is a no frills tractor with a non-removeable loader, (or at least not as easy to remove,) basic seat, and other things, but I'm not sure that really concerns me. The comfort of the cab is nice, but constantly getting in and out of the cab, the setup of the loader joystick, the fear of breaking the windshield when remounting the loader (holy crap that was scary the other day, and I had a 3320 in the past for 10 years so it's not an inexperience thing), and the general just not being able to use it for bush hogging or grass work has me thinking otherwise.

Thoughts? Of course renting an excavator is an option, however the ability to have a backhoe to use at your convenience is worth more to me than having to plan on only doing a set set of jobs for a week during a rental period. The 4044r is out of my price range unfortunately, and if I'm getting getting rid of the 3039r than it isn't worth it to me to just go to a 3039r OS model, I would want to go bigger, otherwise I'll just stick with the 3039r cab.

Rick

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
I remember reading here about a few people who have traded in to get a backhoe - even trading in the same model for the same model. Seems to happen enough with the 1 series crowd.

I see your point financially - you’ve run the numbers. At least you are looking at the real world dollars and not just the payment thing.

All of our conditions change one way or another so you are not alone.

The first thing that came to mind about your allergies - is there a cabin filter for the cab that would equal that of your respirator? I know with furnace filters there are many different options as far as what and how much they will trap. Have you looked into special filters?

I only ask as I am one to exhaust all options before I make a major move like this.

And one other thought - are you sure you can do without the A/C? If you’ve had your tractor long enough you might be taking it for granted. It gets awful hot in an open station tractor in the summer.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can't finance a backhoe by itself? I would check with your dealer. How long ago did you buy the 3039R?

I will say that I am a bit disappointed in my 375A backhoe when it comes to digging up stumps. It does not have the power to rip out even 3" roots. It will eventually but you have to work at it. Otherwise it works good for what it was designed to do. I would start wearing the respirator and enjoy the A/C in the cab. :thumbup1gif:

Jeff

Reactions: ttazzman and PJR832

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
But you can run the 3R with a respirator like you did in the OS but have air conditioning while in the cab. I would think that is more pleasant than a respirator in an OS in the middle of summer.

I often wonder if having a BH is like having a FEL. Before having a FEL I often questioned what people do with them. Then I got one and I found how useful they are. Now have a dedicated machine for FEL work all summer. Well I guess it would be easier to just say I bought a dedicated mower and retired my tractor from that task. Maybe if I got a BH I would find this to be the case. I do know that it would have been nice when I was doing all the hand trenching work with this garage build project.

Ultimately you have to look at how you use a machine and make a determination of the best use. Since the respirator works I would consider that option. You are going to have to wear it anyhow. Trading in a low hour machine can be tough with the hit you will take financially. As you found out, it is always best to buy every possible attachment at the purchase of the machine because they will only be a lot more expensive later and they don't have the financing options. That right there might be a big part of determining your best course of action. If you can't finance it alone and you don't want to come out of pocket, well that eliminates the option of getting the BH for the current machine. You don't have many options beyond that other than renting a BH. However keep in mind that the rental option sometimes is the better option. You can get a machine that is more capable as it was designed to just do that one thing. Maybe it is more compact (not as long as the tractor with BH and fits between trees and buildings better. Maybe it will dig deeper. With our garage build I did consider getting a BH. While I couldn't fit one to my current tractor, I could buy a 2025R TLB for about what I paid someone to do the excavating. So pay it once for someone else to do the job or buy the tool to do it and I would always have it. It was very tempting but in the end it came down to what I had time to do and skill level. It is something that really only you can decide.

Reactions: PJR832 and JD4044M

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I remember reading here about a few people who have traded in to get a backhoe - even trading in the same model for the same model. Seems to happen enough with the 1 series crowd.

I see your point financially - you’ve run the numbers. At least you are looking at the real world dollars and not just the payment thing.

The first thing that came to mind about your allergies - is there a cabin filter for the cab that would equal that of your respirator? I know with furnace filters there are many different options as far as what and how much they will trap. Have you looked into special filters?

I only ask as I am one to exhaust all options before I make a major move like this.

And one other thought - are you sure you can do without the A/C? If you’ve had your tractor long enough you might be taking it for granted. It gets awful hot in an open station tractor in the summer.....
I was thinking about a pollen filter option for the cab as well. Also thinking about the house. However like with a house filter, if it is too restrictive what will happen is the evaporator coil will freeze up. Not sure if that would happen in a tractor cab but it is possible. Another tip I have seen in home systems is to spray some baby oil on the filter or something like that. It gives off a pleasant smell but also the oils will trap particles better than a dry filter alone. Kind of like oiling a K&N replaceable filter for a vehicle. I have never had a cab so I don't know what the options are for that either.

Reactions: PJR832 and JD4044M

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Spend the $11K on a used mini EX,, keep your original tractor,,

Two machines will do double work as compared to a AG tractor with a backhoe attachment, literally...

No multi-tasker can do what a designed specific machine can do,,

No way a 65 hour machine would leave my ownership, for any reason other than it being a lemon,,,:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sorry to hear about the cab not working for you. The cab made a night and day difference for me by keeping the dust out. I could smell the grass/weeds so I’m sure the allergens were making it through. It’s a shame there’s no recirculate option on the air conditioner.

I put the mulching kit on my 72d and now there’s no more clippings that get thrown up and into the grill. It must’ve cut down on the dust by 98%. There also no clippings that get thrown on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
937 Posts

Man, the placement of the filter for the cab tractors has to be the worst ever. It’s on the rear right above the windshield. Anyone who’s ever driven a tractor know that the dust swirls on the back. That filter clogs every single day. If you were to put a filter with better filtration on it I bet you’d get no more than 2 hours before it’s completely clogged. In fact I was so frustrated with the filter that I almost looked at other brands of tractors just to see if any had a better setup.

My only guess is that the engineers designed it for use on northern, suburban lawns than never dry out so there’s no dust. It was definitely NOT designed for use in Texas.

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
Sorry to hear about the cab not working for you. The cab made a night and day difference for me by keeping the dust out. I could smell the grass/weeds so I’m sure the allergens were making it through. It’s a shame there’s no recirculate option on the air conditioner.

I put the mulching kit on my 72d and now there’s no more clippings that get thrown up and into the grill. It must’ve cut down on the dust by 98%. There also no clippings that get thrown on me.

This is a good point. There is no reason why someone couldn’t make something work to make the air recirculate. One would have to provide a register of sorts and maybe a little duct work but it could be done as long as proper air flow was maintained.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Man, the placement of the filter for the cab tractors has to be the worst ever. It’s on the rear right above the windshield. Anyone who’s ever driven a tractor know that the dust swirls on the back. That filter clogs every single day. If you were to put a filter with better filtration on it I bet you’d get no more than 2 hours before it’s completely clogged. In fact I was so frustrated with the filter that I almost looked at other brands of tractors just to see if any had a better setup.

My only guess is that the engineers designed it for use on northern, suburban lawns than never dry out so there’s no dust. It was definitely NOT designed for use in Texas.

This is a good point. There is no reason why someone couldn’t make something work to make the air recirculate. One would have to provide a register of sorts and maybe a little duct work but it could be done as long as proper air flow was maintained.

I could be wrong on this but I thought I read that one of the benefits of a factory cab over aftermarket options is that they are built tighter (seems to not be the case) but also that the have a positive air flow. Meaning clean filtered air is pumped into the cab to push air out any leaks and gaps that are there preventing dirty unfiltered air from getting in. That would prevent the ability to do a recirculation option unless there were some other source of air. Well unless they turned it into a vacuum chamber which would be a poor decision as it would be hostile to life.

I do agree that if that is where they chose to suck air in, that there may have been other locations that would have been a little wiser to use than the back of the cab. I wonder if there is an opportunity to develop some form of snorkel and/or pre-filter for pulling in fresh air from a location that is a little cleaner?

Oh and we get plenty dusty up here in Minnesota.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Think hard about your digging projects.

While a Back hoe is waaay better than a shovel , they suck compared to a mini excavator.

Being able to swing dirt where you want it and have a machine thats a fraction of the size yet better than twice as capable is great.
I bought a Kubota tractor BH combo and thought it would be perfect...traded in a couple months later for the mini ex and it has been great..about 700 hrs on it here on my property. Only a 4000# machine but will fit through a 40" gate or less.
Tracks are moveable. It will pick up logs my tractor won't even consider. Load dirt rock with a 3' bucket or trench with a 9". Rip limbs outta trees place boulders where you want them....etc

Is it a luxury? Yes..At this point I could not live with out it and its taken many many hours off my tractor.

Soo much easier to grade and clean up areas than a tractor.

With all the minis on the market...you could get into an import in the 6000# range for less than 15k

Market is probly different all over the country and may be much better in your area.

The first issue with the BH I noticed was.. I can pile on the left and right...but thats not where I want it and I'm outta room.
Can't swing far enough to load in mini dump truck...

Like I said.....Think about your planned projects and go through the steps in your mind.

If I had a Cab ..I'd be keeping it..heat , AC & staying Dry aren't an option with open station.

How well does a Cab keep the BEES & Hornets out....one thing that I'm always watching out for when I mow with OS.

enough...Good Luck

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
Think hard about your digging projects.

While a Back hoe is waaay better than a shovel , they suck compared to a mini excavator.

Being able to swing dirt where you want it and have a machine thats a fraction of the size yet better than twice as capable is great.
I bought a Kubota tractor BH combo and thought it would be perfect...traded in a couple months later for the mini ex and it has been great..about 700 hrs on it here on my property. Only a 4000# machine but will fit through a 40" ggate or less.
Tracks are moveable. It will pick up logs my tractor won't even consider. Load dirt rock with a 3' bucket or trench with a 9". Rip limbs outta trees place boulders where you want them....etc

Is it a luxury? Yes..At this point I could not live with out it and its taken many many hours off my tractor.

Soo much easier to grade and clean up areas than a tractor.

With all the minis on the market...you could get into an import in the 6000# range for less than 15k

Market is probly different all over the country and may be much better in your area.

The first issue with the BH I noticed was.. I can pile on the left and right...but thats not where I want it and I'm outta room.
Can't swing far enough to load in mini dump truck...

Like I said.....Think about your planned projects and go through the steps in your mind.

If I had a Cab ..I'd be keeping it..heat , AC & staying Dry aren't an option with open station.

How well does a Cab keep the BEES & Hornets out....one thing that I'm always watching out for when I mow with OS.

enough...Good Luck
I don't have a backhoe for my tractor but am spoiled from many years at work running full size excavators.

While I was mowing this afternoon I thought about this. I have a project right now where I need to fill in my tram road that was washed out in a recent rain storm. To do it right I would install a cross pipe so it didn't happen again. It's no different than a mini road that runs along a bank. Way too steep to get the tractor at either end of the gulley.

There is no way I could do this with a backhoe but would certainly be able to with a mini track hoe.

I've gotten along without a backhoe here for the 22 years we have been here. Could I have used one from time to time? Sure! But when I looked at the backhoes for my tractor when buying it I kind of laughed at the salesman. Of course that was when I was working and the thing looked like a little toy. I said no thanks.

I have to agree if the cost of the OP's backhoe is 11k. A used mini track hoe would certainly be much better.

And I know we are all different but if I had a cabbed tractor with HVAC you wouldn't pry it from my cold dead hands......,.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
When I moved to the country, one of the first things I did was to upgrade from an open station tractor to a cab tractor. As long as I can operate a tractor, it will be that cab tractor.

Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good points, thanks. A better filter would be a good option, a quick peruse through filters online looks like even filters made by other manufacturers are about the same quality though. I haven't fully pinpointed the issue to the filter. It could be just the fact of stepping out of the cab, with a respirator on, to do something quick while mowing, (mower off,) stepping back in, removing the respirator, and then inhaling stuff that may have stuck to my clothes. While I have thought of wearing a respirator in the tractor, I would probably just skip that and cut with my x758 instead. Where I use my 3039r most is at a property about 10 miles away, so when factoring in the time and effort to trailer it there, all to not even get me out of having to wear a respirator has me figuring it's easier to just use the x758 because it's much quicker and easier to load/trailer. Don't get me wrong, I love having a/c on the hot days and heat on the cold days, but most of my cutting this year has been on the x758, so I've spent more time on an OS tractor already this year than in the cab. But giving up the luxury of the a/c and heat is not my first choice, and I’m not even sure I want it to be my choice.

On a separate machine, while I definitely agree a standalone excavator would be a better performer than a CT backhoe, purchasing another machine to maintain and store isn't what I'm looking for. It would probably just sit most of the time out of the year as I don't have that many projects to justify the cost. Plus I'm really not looking to drop 11-15k on a used machine since most in that price range have 2-3k hours. A CT backhoe would just be more ideal for my situation. My only backhoe experience has been with one on a Kubota BX, and it did all I ever needed it to do, so I suspect a 375a or 385a would be more than sufficient.

I think from what I gather the consensus is to keep the 3039r and source a 375a backhoe, or keep the 3039r and source a separate machine. I suspect Deere does offer some sort of financing for attachments alone, but I should’ve been more specific in that they don’t offer any incentive financing, like 0%. I’d much prefer to keep my cash on hand and finance out a purchase like that if the cost to finance is going to be the same as paying for it outright. That’s the only reason a trade/sale for a new tractor came in to play. If you can get a bigger tractor and bigger backhoe for the same amount that it would be to add one to your current tractor, is that a route one should go? But is more power and the attachment that you’d get more use out of, at 0%, worth the loss of comfort? Probably not, since your going to be using the tractor itself more than said attachment. If a used 375a were to show up than I would happily jump on that because most used ones have little use and the original purchaser has found they don't use it enough to justify keeping it.

Rick

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I am not going to say finding a used BH for your machine will be impossible. I will say that it will be a rare unicorn. I get not wanting to store another machine but a mini excavator would take up about as much room as storing the BH. You do have a used machine to maintain but that is the biggest negative. The pro being it would be more capable.

As I said before, we can provide options but it will likely come down to your situation as for what is best.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm sure I'm in a rare bunch considering this option, but at the moment I'm considering upgrading my 3039r cab to a 4044m open station. The reason being, I'm looking to add a backhoe, and I'm not sure I'm really using the 3039r cab effectively for what it is. I ran the numbers, and depending on what the dealer would give me on trade, it would cost me the same amount to buy a 375a backhoe for my 3039r as it would be to trade the 3039r in and upgrade to a 4044m with 400e loader and 485a backhoe brand new. About 11k either way doing the math. I only have 65 hours on the 3039r. While I thoroughly enjoy the 3039r, the cab unfortunately has not served the purpose of being able to cut grass without my allergies being effected. I've cut about 3 times with my 3039r, (about 5 acres each time,) and each time I've ended up with bad sinus infections, which to me is saying the cab isn't blocking the allergens as I felt it would. In the past when I would cut grass on an open station model I would just wear a respirator the whole time and everything was fine, I've done that for years. So right now the most I used the 3039r for is loader work, which really isn't a whole lot right now, or running the recycling/trash cans down the 1/4 mile driveway. A gross miss use of the machine, honestly. I bought the 72D auto connect deck to go with the 3039r, but sadly it's only seen 3 hours of use and has been tucked away on storage stands for the last year in my shop. I've used a RFM most of the time because I found the 72D just kicked up way to much thatch on the grille of the 3039r and I would have to constantly get out and clean it. So that has been a wasted purchased unfortunately.

Recently I've come across a lot of jobs where a backhoe would be very useful. If I buy a 375a for the 3039r then I would be looking at 11k out of pocket. I thought of selling the 72D to fund a portion of that, but I'm really not keen about dropping that much cash out of pocket for it. I'd much rather finance it if possible, but that's really not an option on attachments. If buying a 485a on a 4044m then I can financing it out and still keep the cash in my pocket. I realize the M is a no frills tractor with a non-removeable loader, (or at least not as easy to remove,) basic seat, and other things, but I'm not sure that really concerns me. The comfort of the cab is nice, but constantly getting in and out of the cab, the setup of the loader joystick, the fear of breaking the windshield when remounting the loader (holy crap that was scary the other day, and I had a 3320 in the past for 10 years so it's not an inexperience thing), and the general just not being able to use it for bush hogging or grass work has me thinking otherwise.

Thoughts? Of course renting an excavator is an option, however the ability to have a backhoe to use at your convenience is worth more to me than having to plan on only doing a set set of jobs for a week during a rental period. The 4044r is out of my price range unfortunately, and if I'm getting getting rid of the 3039r than it isn't worth it to me to just go to a 3039r OS model, I would want to go bigger, otherwise I'll just stick with the 3039r cab.

Rick
I have a cheaper solution to your thatch and dust problem. Buy a mulching kit for the 72D. That is what I have on mine and I rarely clean my grill. The mulching kit on the 72D keeps about 90% of the thatch and dust under the deck and spreads it on the ground as you go. It does a good job even when the grass is 6-7 inches tall. Of course that depends also on thick your grass is. My neighbor has thick grass and when I do his three acres of field I usually can't let his get any taller than five inches. Even then the dust and thatch isn't bad, it just doesn't have that nice groomed look like mine does. I usually cut my grass no lower than 3.5 inches and it contains it well. I removed the baffles one time to see how it would cut and it created so much dust that I reinstalled the kit the next day. Mine was installed by the dealer when I purchased the tractor. The yard looks like a mower was used that had a bagger on it. The kit cost me $300 almost two years ago when I bought the tractor which included the side discharge block off plate and the chamber separator metal that separates the blade chambers from each other. It also includes three mulching blades. Between the mulching kit and the cab I think your sinus problems would be eliminated regarding the mowing.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have a cheaper solution to your thatch and dust problem. Buy a mulching kit for the 72D. That is what I have on mine and I rarely clean my grill. The mulching kit on the 72D keeps about 90% of the thatch and dust under the deck and spreads it on the ground as you go. It does a good job even when the grass is 6-7 inches tall. Of course that depends also on thick your grass is. My neighbor has thick grass and when I do his three acres of field I usually can't let his get any taller than five inches. Even then the dust and thatch isn't bad, it just doesn't have that nice groomed look like mine does. I usually cut my grass no lower than 3.5 inches and it contains it well. I removed the baffles one time to see how it would cut and it created so much dust that I reinstalled the kit the next day. Mine was installed by the dealer when I purchased the tractor. The yard looks like a mower was used that had a bagger on it. The kit cost me $300 almost two years ago when I bought the tractor which included the side discharge block off plate and the chamber separator metal that separates the blade chambers from each other. It also includes three mulching blades. Between the mulching kit and the cab I think your sinus problems would be eliminated regarding the mowing.
This is true. I have the mulch kit on my 72d and it is almost dustless and I’m in south Texas.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'd be able to cut it often enough for the mulch kit to work as it's designed or not. The grass I'm cutting is really thick field grass. Typically I cut it every two weeks and at that point I'm taking about 8 inches off. Sometimes I have to push it to every 3 and by that time I'm taking somewhere between 10-12" off. Even so, I think I've ruled out ever using the 72D again. Cleaning it after a cut is just not as easy as being able to lift the RFM with the 3pt to clean the grass out.

I think I've narrowed the sinus issues down to when I have to temporarily step out of the tractor or when I'm finished cutting. If I have to step out to move a branch, or when I'm loading the tractor back on the trailer. Even though I'm wearing the respirator at that time, I've picked up allergens on my clothes that then get inhaled when I get back in the cab. I did cut one time in August of 18' with it and had no sinus issues at all, or at least not that I remember. That time I used the RFM, I didn't get out of the tractor during the cut, finished cutting, got out of the tractor with a respirator on, went and trimmed, took a shower, and then loaded it back up on the trailer. Though I don't really believe this helps my situation at all. The idea with the cab was to go, cut, and leave, and so far I'm not any better off time and convenience wise other than being in a/c. Which don't get me wrong, it's very nice for comfort, but if I still have to do all the same things I did before than I just end up using the x758 instead because loading and convenience wise it's easier to deal with.

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts

Rick
Something to Keep In Mind On the Open station 4M series You don't Have to stay with a E Loader You Can Now Upgrade To a R Loader and Have a Dual Mid Valve Kit On the Tractor Instead of the Loader Itself Only adds about $700 to the cost of the Tractor itself BLV11029 :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Something to Keep In Mind On the Open station 4M series You don't Have to stay with a E Loader You Can Now Upgrade To a R Loader and Have a Dual Mid Valve Kit On the Tractor Instead of the Loader Itself Only adds about $700 to the cost of the Tractor itself BLV11029 :bigthumb:
Interesting. That's good to know, thanks for the confirmation. I wondered why the 400R was listed as an option under the "build your own" app. Hmm, that might be the nudge I need. I like the 4044m, but I wasn't sure how I would like the fixed loader. But if you can install the 400R on it now then that's great. The 400R has a higher lift capacity, which would be really useful, and you can add MSL to it.

Rick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts