Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
So, What kind of contest would be good? We have other stuff to give away, but it's getting painful to organize and promote these things and get such a low turnout.

With every contest, we hope to draw some new members to post or some lurkers to join and post-while at the same time offering something free, and of real value to our membership.

Are contest's that bad of an idea? Should we even bother with any more?:unknown:

Registered
Kenny:

The contests have had great prizes and those who responded have been great. I wish I could suggest something, but my brain just isn't creative.:flag_of_truce: It is good that I didn't have to make a living in advertising.

The staff has done a great job on the contests and running the forum in general. This is the first and only one that I have been on and reading posts is one of the highlights of my day.

Thanks to all of you for the good work,
Don

Premium Member
So, What kind of contest would be good? We have other stuff to give away, but it's getting painful to organize and promote these things and get such a low turnout.

With every contest, we hope to draw some new members to post or some lurkers to join and post-while at the same time offering something free, and of real value to our membership.

Are contest's that bad of an idea? Should we even bother with any more?:unknown:
I thought this would be brought up. I like the contests, and think they're cool, but it doesn't seem like they spark the interest for some reason. I remember seeing a giveaway for a less expensive item on Workshop Addict that drew a lot more posts - and it's a lot smaller site! At the current rate, I don't see how they are feasible any longer, but I'd sure hate to see them go!

Registered
Kenny,

Is there any other venues to get the word out about GTT? How do most people get here now, via a search engine link? That is how I found my way here. There are a few vintage tractor sites as well as the Weekend Freedom Machines site, do they care if you do a little promoting there (maybe some cross-promotion)? I'm thinking the concentration here is newer machines, so it isn't like there is a big competition between sites discussing 50-year-old Deere stuff and 10-year-old stuff.

On the contests, I think they're a great idea. It gets me thinking about projects and trying to find old photos I have backed up all over. I've seen some other sites with things like "Best Photo Caption" contests, "Best Winter Photo", "Best Funny Photo", best story, etc. Other than pictures of things, videos of things, and stories, there isn't a lot more you can do online. It would be cool to have a GTT gathering, but I see posts here from all over North America and a few from Europe.

Maybe go to a contest every two months, and promote it more heavily the second month of the contest?

Maybe all of this discussion should be a separate thread?:unknown:

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Kenny,

Is there any other venues to get the word out about GTT? How do most people get here now, via a search engine link? That is how I found my way here. There are a few vintage tractor sites as well as the Weekend Freedom Machines site, do they care if you do a little promoting there (maybe some cross-promotion)? I'm thinking the concentration here is newer machines, so it isn't like there is a big competition between sites discussing 50-year-old Deere stuff and 10-year-old stuff.

On the contests, I think they're a great idea. It gets me thinking about projects and trying to find old photos I have backed up all over. I've seen some other sites with things like "Best Photo Caption" contests, "Best Winter Photo", "Best Funny Photo", best story, etc. Other than pictures of things, videos of things, and stories, there isn't a lot more you can do online. It would be cool to have a GTT gathering, but I see posts here from all over North America and a few from Europe.

Maybe go to a contest every two months, and promote it more heavily the second month of the contest?

Or topic!

Administrator
Discussion Starter #6
OK, You asked for it!

I made this it's own thread.

The facts:
The GTT Staff works hard to get acquire the prizes from vendors, and we discuss how to give them away. We try to keep it simple and fun so as to get lot's of participation from lurkers who we hope will join, new(er) members, as well as the old-timers who have been with us all along this journey. It is VERY discouraging for us to have such poor participation (entrants) in a contest, and even MORE discouraging when we can even get a simple vote for those who do take the time and exert the effort to enter in the contest.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #7
I thought this would be brought up. I like the contests, and think they're cool, but it doesn't seem like they spark the interest for some reason. I remember seeing a giveaway for a less expensive item on Workshop Addict that drew a lot more posts - and it's a lot smaller site! At the current rate, I don't see how they are feasible any longer, but I'd sure hate to see them go!
The WA give-away was heavily promoted on FaceBook by both Brian and John (Tugnut). Most of the participation there was one post wonders that have registerd just to make one post to enter. Apperantly there are LOTS of woodworkers on FB. This was tried for the GTT contest, but tractor guys don't really do FB.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #8
Kenny,

Andy, forums are a business. Promoting your forum on another is generally frowned upon especially when the topics are the same or simular. Some treat our name like a curse word and **** it out if you try to type it-even in a PM. MTF is actually freindly towards us and allows a link in my signature for GTT, but still I don' post and tell people to come here out of respect for thier "house".

Administrator
Discussion Starter #9
Kenny:

The contests have had great prizes and those who responded have been great. I wish I could suggest something, but my brain just isn't creative.:flag_of_truce: It is good that I didn't have to make a living in advertising.

The staff has done a great job on the contests and running the forum in general. This is the first and only one that I have been on and reading posts is one of the highlights of my day.

Thanks to all of you for the good work,
Don
Thank you Don, those words mean a lot to us-and it's why we are here.

I am sorry if I sound like a whinny little girl here, but I just want to try to invoke some thoughtful discussion on this whole subject.

Administrator
While I truly believe we have THE best tractor forum here with the best fellas possible, we are trying to grow the membership. Are the contests not a good idea? What would you like to see or do? :unknown:

Sent using Tapatalk.

Registered
Keep in mind some of us have a hard time posting pics. I wouldnt know where to start with a video. Maybe by buying a video cam:unknown:

Premium Member
I like GTT, contests or not. I appreciate the great amount of effort all of y'all put in to keep this place going. I came here after asking Kenny some Gator questions on another site, then stayed here because there's a good thing going here. We have a great depth of knowledge across our members, and they're all willing to share that to help eachother. I think we have the right formula here for a very successful forum.

That said, I like the contests. I like the contests more than the giveaways. With the contests, folks actually get engaged. They get out using their equipment, then making videos or photos of it. I think that's a lot of fun both to do, and see others do. The downside is since it requires more time and effort is lower participation levels. The giveaways are easier to get folks to participate in, but the trick is to structure them so that they bring folks here, either directly or by getting GTT's name out there. I'm not familiar enough with Facebook marketing to know how many 'likes' it takes to move the needle significantly, but I know the second prize giveaway generated several for Stihl. I can think of several things that we could do to promote the site, probably all stuff y'all have considered already. I just can't think of a way to wrap it into a good contest form, though. I'll work on it. :)

Administrator
Keep in mind some of us have a hard time posting pics. I wouldnt know where to start with a video. Maybe by buying a video cam:unknown:
I know anyone in the admin staff will gladly assist you (or any member) with posting pics or videos.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Premium Member
I did notice a lot of the one posts, but that would still be spreading the word. I couldn't imagine both running this forum and having a day job, and you guys do a fantastic job at it! I'm not sure what to tell you here though, it's either so easy to enter like the WA giveaway that you have one time posters, or to the point where nobody wants to deal with it. Personally I think the things like the last one were fun, but the participation was poor for some reason :unknown:

One thing I think as well is that instead of the gift cards, an actual item is more wanted. Like the WA giveaway, I don't think there would be as many participants for a $100 Bosch gift card. Even if you just do a bunch of small items that are tractor necessities like the hearing protection that 56FG just got, you don't need the $100 pair with the speakers and all, but even just the standard protection ones. Or what about an oil change kit to fit your tractor from John Deere, I know all of us need that! I can tell you that I'd be more eager to accept a prize than a certificate because of the fact that I know if I'd won the $100 I'd walk into my Stihl dealer with the mindset I'm not going to pay anything out of pocket and walk out with a bunch of new toys that costs me $500, but then again that was probably the thought process Stihl had in providing the gift certificate. Heck, I even think some sort of GTT memorabilia giveaways would be cool - like a mousepad or ball point pen. Only a couple dollar item, but would be priceless to me!

I don't know if this is possible as well, but have that thread stay at the top of the 'What's New?'. There's a lot of times I click on something, intend to post but not right away and then forget. It would be a nice reminder if you could see it right out front. Maybe like another button on the top it could say "GTT Giveaways" or something to alert newbies that hey stick around and get free stuff! Even it's own sub-forum or whatever they are called, instead of posting in the 'Announcements' have a 'Giveaways'. I think all of us regular posters now pretty much all of what's going on here, but I don't think that's the market your looking for in doing these. The new and more infrequent posters may not see it hidden in different sub-forums and not at the top of the 'What's New?'.

Registered
I'll just put out my 2 cents here. I like contests, especially if I can win something I really like or can use, like a new tractor, chainsaw, power tool, motorcycle, car, truck, etc. :lol:. And I thank the GTT staff for putting on a contest with good prizes (see previous sentence) :laugh:.

With the last contest, I enjoyed watching the entries, and I did vote. I'd have even voted twice if I could :lol:, but I didn't enter. Main reason, was that there was only about 2 weeks to get an entry together, and at first I didn't think that was enough time for me to make a video or series of photos that fit the theme. Summer time is pretty busy in the yard and gardens, and I'm a little slow when it comes to getting a nice "presentation" together. So to me, the last contest was difficult for me to submit an entry. The first Stihl gift certificate contest was easy, a simple post, and asking my wife to do the facebook thing.

Yeah, it probably would have been fun to put something together, just not enough time in a day to do everything I want to do.

Another thing that was new to me was the "open poll" where everyone can see who voted for whom (at least I could see those results before I voted). That kind of caught me by surprise, it didn't really change my vote, but it did make me think twice about whether I would offend the other GTT friends that I didn't vote for :hide:. I don't know if that affected others on whether to vote or not, but if it made me think, I'd believe other had the same thought :unknown:

I like GTT and the contests, keep 'em coming. I'll try to enter more, and I'll always vote. Thanks guys.

Premium Member
The one thing I don't like about the contest is the extra "junk" email it generates from the providers of the gift. For example, the first Stihl giveway required you to Like them on FB and after that I got 3 or 4 more ads and post from them a day on my FB site. After that "they" shared my FB link with other similar companies and etc.

That is just my pet peeve and one reason I haven't participated any more than I have. It's not that i don't appreciate your effort, believe me I do but I don't think the "extra" stuff is worth it. Nothing personal, please don't take it that way.

And I realize the guys providing the gifts want / deserve something in return, I undersand that part of it also. If I may make a suggestion here's something that works well on a Banjo forum I'm a member of with monthly give-a-ways. To register for the "prize' you have to agree to a one time email from the provider. In my 12 years of membership I have not had that one time email during the month of contest violated. With your registration entry for the monthly prize, I agree that "XYZ Banjo" can send me one email inviting me or offering me a link to their personal website. If I choose not to visit or just delete the email, I never hear from them again. If I visit to see what they have to offer then i can sign up for future emails directly from them.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if this is possible as well, but have that thread stay at the top of the 'What's New?'. There's a lot of times I click on something, intend to post but not right away and then forget. It would be a nice reminder if you could see it right out front. Maybe like another button on the top it could say "GTT Giveaways" or something to alert newbies that hey stick around and get free stuff! Even it's own sub-forum or whatever they are called, instead of posting in the 'Announcements' have a 'Giveaways'. I think all of us regular posters now pretty much all of what's going on here, but I don't think that's the market your looking for in doing these. The new and more infrequent posters may not see it hidden in different sub-forums and not at the top of the 'What's New?'.

Great idea, I think we can do that easily enough.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #18
I know anyone in the admin staff will gladly assist you (or any member) with posting pics or videos.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Yes, absolutely we can help you with that. There are even threads dedicated to that very topic. If you are having a specific problem, start a thread and ask for help please, thats why we are all here.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #19
The one thing I don't like about the contest is the extra "junk" email it generates from the providers of the gift. For example, the first Stihl giveway required you to Like them on FB and after that I got 3 or 4 more ads and post from them a day on my FB site. After that "they" shared my FB link with other similar companies and etc.

That is just my pet peeve and one reason I haven't participated any more than I have. It's not that i don't appreciate your effort, believe me I do but I don't think the "extra" stuff is worth it. Nothing personal, please don't take it that way.

And I realize the guys providing the gifts want / deserve something in return, I undersand that part of it also. If I may make a suggestion here's something that works well on a Banjo forum I'm a member of with monthly give-a-ways. To register for the "prize' you have to agree to a one time email from the provider. In my 12 years of membership I have not had that one time email during the month of contest violated. With your registration entry for the monthly prize, I agree that "XYZ Banjo" can send me one email inviting me or offering me a link to their personal website. If I choose not to visit or just delete the email, I never hear from them again. If I visit to see what they have to offer then i can sign up for future emails directly from them.

Thanks for the honesty Wayne, that's what we need, no feelings will be hurt in any way.

I think in the first Stihl giveaway, the FB thing was optional?

Anyway, we had the gift certificates in hand for both so there was no contact needed at all from Stihl, you only needed to give us your snail mail address so we could send it, sorry if that was not clear up front.

Administrator
I'll just put out my 2 cents here. I like contests, especially if I can win something I really like or can use, like a new tractor, chainsaw, power tool, motorcycle, car, truck, etc. :lol:. And I thank the GTT staff for putting on a contest with good prizes (see previous sentence) :laugh:.

With the last contest, I enjoyed watching the entries, and I did vote. I'd have even voted twice if I could :lol:, but I didn't enter. Main reason, was that there was only about 2 weeks to get an entry together, and at first I didn't think that was enough time for me to make a video or series of photos that fit the theme. Summer time is pretty busy in the yard and gardens, and I'm a little slow when it comes to getting a nice "presentation" together. So to me, the last contest was difficult for me to submit an entry. The first Stihl gift certificate contest was easy, a simple post, and asking my wife to do the facebook thing.

Yeah, it probably would have been fun to put something together, just not enough time in a day to do everything I want to do.

Another thing that was new to me was the "open poll" where everyone can see who voted for whom (at least I could see those results before I voted). That kind of caught me by surprise, it didn't really change my vote, but it did make me think twice about whether I would offend the other GTT friends that I didn't vote for :hide:. I don't know if that affected others on whether to vote or not, but if it made me think, I'd believe other had the same thought :unknown:

I like GTT and the contests, keep 'em coming. I'll try to enter more, and I'll always vote. Thanks guys.

How much time do you think would be appropriate for a contest? Would a full month be good?

You bring up another good point Tom. Maybe for the next time we have a member vote, we'll look into a different voting system.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts