Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a John Deer 4044M equipped with third function which I use for operating a grapple. The lines attach at the rear of the tractor and I have the rocker switch mounted on the joy stick to open and close the grapple jaws. All John Deere equipment. I am looking at purchasing a loader arm mounted brush cutter with a hydraulic motor matched to my auxiliary hydraulic flow. What do I need to do to in order get continuous flow to that implement ? Do I need additional rear remotes ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Its not enough flow, and you’ll loose the ability to move the fel while you have the the continuous flow turned on.
There was a very recent thread on this issue. (I THINK the thread was on this site.)

Regardless, that OP's loader would not function with the continuous flow activated. The OP found a quick and dirty workaround by placing an adjustable flow restrictor in the line to the hydraulic motor. The OP was happy with the results.

I'd caution that this approach is not always all sugar and spice. The flow restriction may cause overheating, and the implement may not function correctly with reduced flow. The $64,000 question is does the continuous flow available meet the demand of the implement without starving the other loader functions?

A loaded example: My hydraulic snow blower performs horrible off the 3rd function continuous flow (likely 5-7 GPM). It performs a bit better off of power beyond (maybe 11 GPM or so). And it performs GREAT with a PTO driven pump (21 GPM).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a very recent thread on this issue. (I THINK the thread was on this site.)

Regardless, that OP's loader would not function with the continuous flow activated. The OP found a quick and dirty workaround by placing an adjustable flow restrictor in the line to the hydraulic motor. The OP was happy with the results.

I'd caution that this approach is not always all sugar and spice. The flow restriction may cause overheating, and the implement may not function correctly with reduced flow. The $64,000 question is does the continuous flow available meet the demand of the implement without starving the other loader functions?

A loaded example: My hydraulic snow blower performs horrible off the 3rd function continuous flow (likely 5-7 GPM). It performs a bit better off of power beyond (maybe 11 GPM or so). And it performs GREAT with a PTO driven pump (21 GPM).

When you say PTO driven pump, are you referring to a self contained power pack ? If so, what brand ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
When you say PTO driven pump, are you referring to a self contained power pack ? If so, what brand ?
In my case, I used a Prince PTO pump with a Prince motor control/relief valve. For a reservoir I used a 3 point hitch tank often used for large 3ph woodchippers. So mine is a homebrew "power pack". It can easily run several $1,000s to build.

There are some REALLY nice commercial power packs available, some with cooling. An example is Erskine PTO Hydraulic Power Unit / Power Pack Model HP15 / HP20 / HP24. I believe this unit sold under several brand names. They are not inexpensive...$6,000+!

Some implements originally designed for skid steers are being used on tractors...my snow blower for example. The problem is many tractors don't have the hydraulic flow of some skid steers. Hence the need for PTO pumps on many tractors to be able to run these implements.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Power Beyond is what your looking for.
It's available from Deere.

Reactions: JohnDeereJoey

·
Registered
114 Posts
THAT is an excellent idea. If the OP's tractor will flow enough at the power beyond it would be less costly and nicely integrated with the tractor. Not to mentioned freeing up the 3ph for other uses!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I really need to stay off this website, every time I get on here I add another "want" to my list...

sorry for the highjack!

·
Registered
2020 4066R & 2021 Z530R
44 Posts
Bad advice.... it doesnt have the GPM to support it. The machine has a total GPM of 15.9... your running several things at once off of that, now a FEL mounted hydro brush cutter too?

Again... theres a reason the larger 5 & 6 series running boom mowers all have power packs. A smaller tractor isnt going to out power them, trust me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bad advice.... it doesnt have the GPM to support it. The machine has a total GPM of 15.9... your running several things at once off of that, now a FEL mounted hydro brush cutter too?

Again... theres a reason the larger 5 & 6 series running boom mowers all have power packs. A smaller tractor isnt going to out power them, trust me.
After re-reading the thread, It is not clear to me what hydraulic flow is needed for the OP's implement, and what, if any, other tractor functions will be used simultaneously. Without more info from the OP, I don't have a clue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts