Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for information (convincing) on Continuous Variable Transmissions (CVT) as the are being used in newer vehicles. I know how they work, at least the basics, but I am not sure of reliability and user friendly as it is used in a vehicle. We are currently looking at the possible purchase of a new Subaru Forester which incorporates a CVT and it makes me nervous.
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
Nissan has been using them for years. Haven't heard of wide spread issues. :unknown:

That being said, I couldn't own one. It's too weird. No shifting, just monotonous engine sounds with no associated "seat of pants" feel or feedback. Meh...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think the CVT transmission was a perfect match for the JD 110. For some reason JD didn't put one in the 1 series.
I think it would take a LOT of getting used to and think the reliability book is still being written.
Our rural mailman swears by his Subaru but can't tell you what transmission is in it. It's blue…..:laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I'm a big, big Subaru fan. Nobody does AWD better. We have an '05 Baja, and I really love that car. A few months back we looked at buying a new Outback, but decided to hold onto the Baja for a little while longer. I really like the little Crosstrek, but I don't know why. :laugh:

Buy the Forester. Enjoy it. :)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The way I understand it, 2014 is this the first year Subaru is using them, which makes it even worse in my book. But than again it may be a good thing.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a buddy who is ASE. He said to stay away as far as you can. That's enough for me. They can't tow much if anything either. I'll stick with my manuals.

Jim

·
Premium Member
14,738 Posts
Daughter has either a 12 or a 13 Legacy , It has a CVT been averaging , 30-33 mpg. . It took them about 50 miles to get used to no shifting. I've only driven it a few miles , seemed no different than any other car. Yea first year for the Forester having the CVT may be the same one in the Legacy. I've been thinking of it , a Legacy or Impreza. If none of them the Rav4. We have a Vibe which is the Matrix we like the AWD on it so I'm just waiting to see if and when something goes wrong with the Vibe , now at 95000 and have only put brake pads and oil changes and filters.

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
My work has a couple of those Vibes. Good cars. Good gas mileage and pretty dependable.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not necessarily buying into the articles on the internet saying the lack of shifting or noise is an issue.
Not totally in the same category but the speed and lack of shifting feel on a snowmobile with a CVT with 150+ hp is nothing short of exhilarating to say the least.
I know torque and towing is relatively low, but I have the Tundra for that.
I am not concerned about feeling the shifting, have the Mustang for that.
The games manufactures are playing with acronyms (LSD, ALSD, 4WD, AWD) is really misleading for my age group.
As far as I can tell the Subaru is one of only a very few manufactures that still have an AWD vehicle that is worth the purchase if you want a good AWD system, and I do.
We had a 2004 Toyota Highlander that was awesome in the snow, new ones are just make believe.
My daughter had 200? RAV4 that was awesome in snow also, new ones are also make believe. Now the 4WD or AWD turns off at 20 mph.
When we had those vehicles I could snowplow the driveway when I wanted to and when I felt like it. I want those days back.
The ALSD (automatic limited slip differential) IMO is also a joke in the newer vehicles, especially with drum brakes on the rear.
I would guess that Subaru is one of the top vehicles to look at when looking for a vehicle to use in snow, so I guess my main concern is reliability, as it should be.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Ours has 115,000 miles. It had the radiator replaced about two months ago (cracked when the car was hit), and is having the valve cover gaskets replaced along with the 100,000 mile service right now. The 100k service includes a timing belt change that I didn't have the factory tools needed for, so the dealer is doing both. Otherwise, it's been pretty calm. Oil changes and brakes, normal maintenance stuff.

It's a dream to drive in the snow, I'd rafter have it on slick roads than my 4wd F-350. It just feels like it sticks to the road. That's kind of the Subaru claim to fame, and they do it very, very well. If you look at where a lot of these cars are sold, it's in mountainous areas that get real winters.

Go drive one! Even if you don't buy it, you'll have a better idea what you're looking for.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ours has 115,000 miles. It had the radiator replaced about two months ago (cracked when the car was hit), and is having the valve cover gaskets replaced along with the 100,000 mile service right now. The 100k service includes a timing belt change that I didn't have the factory tools needed for, so the dealer is doing both. Otherwise, it's been pretty calm. Oil changes and brakes, normal maintenance stuff.

It's a dream to drive in the snow, I'd rafter have it on slick roads than my 4wd F-350. It just feels like it sticks to the road. That's kind of the Subaru claim to fame, and they do it very, very well. If you look at where a lot of these cars are sold, it's in mountainous areas that get real winters.

Go drive one! Even if you don't buy it, you'll have a better idea what you're looking for.
Exactly! During snow storms I would take our 2004 Highlander to work instead of our (at the time) GMC 2500 4WD.
BTW, I need to replace the timing belt in the our Tundra, BIG $, and I ain't doin it either.
I also read someplace that Subaru is the number on selling vehicle in the New England area.

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
They're pretty popular in Alaska, I can tell you that.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're pretty popular in Alaska, I can tell you that.
Yeah and I keep reading how bad the heaters are in the newer ones. The damn Internet drives me nuts, sometimes.
I would rather hear from people on here about the good and bad than believe what I read elsewhere.

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
Yeah and I keep reading how bad the heaters are in the newer ones. The damn Internet drives me nuts, sometimes.
I would rather hear from people on here about the good and bad than believe what I read elsewhere.
I know what you mean. Just keep in mind human nature. When people are happy, they don't get on the Internet or forums and praise praise praise. But when they are unhappy or there's a problem, you're sure to read about it somewhere. So a good product could get smeared fairly easy when it's out-balanced with bad comments and reviews.

Go try it out. It's fairly cold today right? See for yourself if the heater is lame. Then you can tell us how bad it sucks. :lol:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My brother bought a new Forester for his wife. I think its a 14. He really likes it, says its great in the snow.

·
Premium Member
14,738 Posts
Talking of the bad heater,, Once or twice a week I drive a12or a 13 Ford Focus maybe 15 times a day for 20-40 min at a time. This think takes at least 45 mins to be putting anykind of lukewarm air . and same amount of time for the AC to start working in the summer... Never have felt warm to hot air driving this car.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Talking of the bad heater,, Once or twice a week I drive a12or a 13 Ford Focus maybe 15 times a day for 20-40 min at a time. This think takes at least 45 mins to be putting anykind of lukewarm air . and same amount of time for the AC to start working in the summer... Never have felt warm to hot air driving this car.
ET....check to make sure the re-circulate air damper is on and not bringing in fresh air. If its in the recirculate position,then check to see if the damper is stuck. Some of these cars are bringing in almost 100% fresh air in normal mode...and that will definitely affect performance as the delta T is too big

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just placed an order for a 2015 Subaru WRX STI and my wife will soon be getting the Forester. No one does AWD better and I have heard nothing but good things about the new CVT. I will be going in for a test drive of the new Forester with the CVT when one shows up at my local dealer.

·
Premium Member
14,738 Posts
ET....check to make sure the re-circulate air damper is on and not bringing in fresh air. If its in the recirculate position,then check to see if the damper is stuck. Some of these cars are bringing in almost 100% fresh air in normal mode...and that will definitely affect performance as the delta T is too big
Thanks for that bit of info. I'll say this the light is not on saying it in Re-circulate , but we all know you cannot believe everything when it comes to lights..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts