Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an X300 bagging mower and have moved to a place with a much bigger lawn. Tired of bagging. I know i can get mulching blades (42 in deck) but do I simply cover the bagger outlet on the deck?

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
If Going OEM You add Blades and a Mulch Plug shown Below clean you deck Out well before Trying to Put the Mulch Plug In I had to Use some clamps to finally get the Mulch Plug to fit On a Brand New 42inch deck The Mulch Plug will fill the discharge Opening You could remove the discharge chute If You want But It Can stay In Place as well I never thought I would Like a mulch kit but it does work well on a 42inch deck (y) John Deere High-Performance Mulch Kit For 42C Convertible Mower Deck - BM21816
Screenshot_2020-10-18 John Deere Parts Catalog.png

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just covering the exit port is not enough. The mulching plug reduces the volume under the deck so the cut grass gets re-cut over and over. I have used this mulching kit on our X304 on the 2+ acres we had in Oregon. Its performance was acceptable, but we later got an X495 with the 62C mulching deck and that substantially reduced mowing times...

In either case, the grass has to be fairly dry -- that was the challenge in the Portland area, so the wet grass was often mowed with the X304 with the bagger and the deck converted back from mulching.

Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts