Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into what it would take to convert an auto connect 54/60 HC to a manual. I called the local dealer, but they seemed a little confused as to what parts to order. Looking at the parts on JD's site I am guessing I need to order either:
-Universal Driveshaft AM133970 (Whole Driveshaft)-$495.00
-Universal Driveshaft AM133971 (Partial Driveshaft-$410.54

The other question is do I need to change the hitch that carries deck as well? It appears there is two different one (one for manual vs AutoConnect)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My question is why do you want to convert from auto to a manual?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Reactions: Mackford13

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just think I would prefer the manual connect

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wait until you've done the manual change over a few times, you'll wonder what the h--- was I thinking! I'm speaking from 20 years doing a manual change over on my JD445 to an auto change over on my 1 year old X730. I wouldn't go back for twice the money I paid for the auto connect!

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Wait until you've done the manual change over a few times, you'll wonder what the h--- was I thinking! I'm speaking from 20 years doing a manual change over on my JD445 to an auto change over on my 1 year old X730. I wouldn't go back for twice the money I paid for the auto connect!
As you know, the deck for the 445 is known as the "Nut Buster Deck" by those of us who own one, as the 60" deck weighs in excess of 375 pounds, plus it is NOT a drive over deck. The deck on the 1 series, either 54" or 60" deck are all drive over decks, which makes the mounting of the deck much, much easier.

Personally, I think once the auto connect is properly set up, its a good system. But even if someone doesn't want the auto connect feature, the ability to drive over the deck to position it, is night and day easier than having to wrestle the deck under the tractor from the right side of the machine with the NBD decks.

If the connection is limited to the driveshaft and snapping the rear mounts in place, its not as convenient as the auto connect feature, but its also not nearly as difficult or challenging as it is when you have to get the NBD deck under the tractor. Also, just for clarity, all of the 1 series decks are considered "Auto Connect" compatible and say "Auto Connect" on them, even when they aren't paired with the auto connect gear.

WH5208speed, make sure to give the PTO shaft a good TUG when you go manually connect it to the tractor's PTO to make sure the locking collar on the shaft locks on the PTO. As more and more machine owners are relying on the Auto Connect feature, make sure to check the manually connected shafts so you don't have one fail to lock on and then cause all sorts of problems under the tractors operator platform.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,498 Posts
"AutoConnect" means the connection to the tractor, not the connection to the PTO.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sully:
Yes, my 445 60" deck and I became very well acquainted over those 20 years of ownership. I certainly agree it was a real "ball buster" as the stationary wheels were 90 degrees from the direction it needed to be moved to place it under the 445. I feel that positioning it, however, was only half the battle as getting the dang drive shaft connected to the PTO was also a big pain in the butte. I always found the connection collar was a pain as getting the "teeth on the two connecting surface correctly lined up without the collar popping closed was not a lot of fun. The past couple of years my 80 year old back was not too happy with any phase of the attachment or detachment process.
Then there's lifting that "monster" upright to change/sharpen the blades, now there's a project that'll keep you awake at night. It's taken me a lot of years to figure out I needed a wheeled dolly and a winch to make life easier. I guess I knew this and the virus seemed to provide a lot more time a home with the RV parked this past year to accomplish these long overdue projects that are currently making my life much easier! LOL

·
Registered
14,245 Posts
Sully:
Yes, my 445 60" deck and I became very well acquainted over those 20 years of ownership. I certainly agree it was a real "ball buster" as the stationary wheels were 90 degrees from the direction it needed to be moved to place it under the 445. I feel that positioning it, however, was only half the battle as getting the dang drive shaft connected to the PTO was also a big pain in the butte. I always found the connection collar was a pain as getting the "teeth on the two connecting surface correctly lined up without the collar popping closed was not a lot of fun. The past couple of years my 80 year old back was not too happy with any phase of the attachment or detachment process.
Then there's lifting that "monster" upright to change/sharpen the blades, now there's a project that'll keep you awake at night. It's taken me a lot of years to figure out I needed a wheeled dolly and a winch to make life easier. I guess I knew this and the virus seemed to provide a lot more time a home with the RV parked this past year to accomplish these long overdue projects that are currently making my life much easier! LOL
I remove the spring loaded pins on the wheel spindles and turn them 90 degrees and roll the deck out and back in. It is much easier than trying to get it to slide. I think the mower operator's manual suggests doing it this way. I bi%ch about the PTO shaft, but have gotten pretty good at connecting it. I got mine in 1996, if I remember right.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The 425 I had was the same way. I turned the scalp wheels 90* and still a major pain. I did find that it was easiest to hook up the pto reaching in from the rear of the machine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
MarkEagleUSA: My auto connect includes the pto.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,498 Posts
Mine includes the PTO.
I'm not sure what point you're making here as my auto connect on my X730 connects the deck to both the tractor as well as connecting to the PTO system!
It may be different on the X series but on the compacts the term "AutoConnect" only indicates connection of the mower deck to the tractor. The PTO option is not what makes it auto connect. When you buy the deck, the auto PTO connection is a separate option. It's misleading marketing if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The "auto connect" on the x7 and I assume other series is pretty simple.

There is a bribe shaft that connects to the mid PTO. The implement side of the drive shaft is held in place by a bracket that attaches to the mower deck draft arms.

There is a quick connect self aligning coupling that joins the mower deck to the drive shaft. One half of the coupling stays attached to the drive shaft, the other half stays attached to the mower deck gear box input shaft.

The coupling simply slides together when mounting the mower there is no need to reach under the tractor and mess with the drive shaft.

The regular set up is just a plane old drive shaft that goes from the mid PTO to the mower deck. Assuming you leave the shaft on the mower deck when you remove it, every time you mount or remove the deck you have to get under the tractor and release the locking coupler on the mid mount PTO.

The only thing different about the deck in either case is what is attached to the gear box. All the mower decks come with the same naked input shaft. It's up to the user to attach the drive shaft setup they want.

Reactions: RayLagrange

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Looking into what it would take to convert an auto connect 54/60 HC to a manual. I called the local dealer, but they seemed a little confused as to what parts to order. Looking at the parts on JD's site I am guessing I need to order either:
-Universal Driveshaft AM133970 (Whole Driveshaft)-$495.00
-Universal Driveshaft AM133971 (Partial Driveshaft-$410.54
View attachment 780510
The other question is do I need to change the hitch that carries deck as well? It appears there is two different one (one for manual vs AutoConnect)
View attachment 780512
The answer to part two is to the left in Remarks for Key 17A. It says order AM144795 which is the P/N for key 17B

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Ever since I bought a Fisher lift from Harbor Freight, I do not remove my deck. I jack up the the tractor, lock the lift and pull blades to sharpen and scrape the bottom of the deck. Picture is not full height it will lift
Toy Tire Floor Flooring Wood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess that works fine if you don't plow snow. Here in Iowa that's not really an option. Late Fall it's off with the deck, on with the plow, then in the Spring, reverse the process.:)

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I guess that works fine if you don't plow snow. Here in Iowa that's not really an option. Late Fall it's off with the deck, on with the plow, then in the Spring, reverse the process.:)
I do plow snow, but with a Ford F250 with a Western 6' plow. My little x485 sleeps all winter.
I will say before I got the lift, R&R of the PTO shaft was the hardest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts