Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replying to the plastic hood thread, I decided to look for my John Deere VHS tapes. I have 3, one on the lawn & garden line which includes info on the Horicon, Wisconsin plant plus a parade (this tape was made circa 1999). Second one is for the 4000 series compact tractors, made around 2000/2001 and the third is a safety tape. I also have tapes from Grasshopper and a couple of more. My VCR is dead and I really don't want to buy another one. I also used Macs here at home, one being an older G4 so the latest software to convert to DVD won't work for me.

My question is......Would someone be willing here to convert at least the 3 JD VHS tapes to DVD for me? Or is there a place online I can go and send the tapes so it can be done. I still want to keep my VHS tapes and I'm not even sure if they play anymore. But if they did, I would love to convert them to DVD or a format I can play on my Macs. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a close neighbor friend of mine that can do that.. Let me know if you want to send them and I can get them done for ya!! :good2:

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
What about "protected" tapes? I have all the old Two-Cylinder, John Deere Day tapes that have tractor footage, would like to have them converted to DVD, but don't know how! ~~ Lowell

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Newt,
PM me your address and I can send them to you. I just hope they're still good. If not, maybe they can be restored first? Don't know, but I hate to lose these and I would love to watch them again.

Lowell,
I would love to see those 2 cylinder ones myself. Maybe we can get mine and yours on this site somehow....Maybe we need to ask that next if we can get everything converted.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What about "protected" tapes? I have all the old Two-Cylinder, John Deere Day tapes that have tractor footage, would like to have them converted to DVD, but don't know how! ~~ Lowell
Your getting technical now.. I would think the tapes would just play normal wouldnt they? The DVD taping would just be taping what ever is being played? IDK.

Newt,
PM me your address and I can send them to you. I just hope they're still good. If not, maybe they can be restored first? Don't know, but I hate to lose these and I would love to watch them again.
I will, guess all we can do it give it a try?? How many tapes and how long are they, 1hr each? His machine is a dual DVR/VCR dubbing machine. Can copy either way..

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are 3 tapes and probably no more than 30 minutes each, if that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i do believe our player will do it also . we have a combo unit and im sure thats why we got this model . ill give it a try tomorrow to see if i can figure out this hi tec equipment .

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Your getting technical now.. I would think the tapes would just play normal wouldnt they? The DVD taping would just be taping what ever is being played? IDK. .
I tried once, it copied for a little while, then quit copying. What I have now will copy on tape, but not the DVD side.

There are several tapes, probably a couple dozen, ranging from less than an hour to close to two hours/each. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
588 Posts
Costco can do it for you if you or know someone that has a membership.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i do believe our player will do it also . we have a combo unit and im sure thats why we got this model . ill give it a try tomorrow to see if i can figure out this hi tec equipment .
Gary,
Since Newt volunteered first, I'm going to see what he can do. Let's hope if works. If it don't I may let you try, though I'm sure it should work.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Back in 2005 I purchased a new HP DV8000 laptop with all the bells & whistles. Included I bought the Windows XP Media Center operating system with the TV tuner adapter which can convert my laptop into a tv or a DVR after hooking it upto a tv cable. I recorded a show on the history channel and with Corel Video Studio software I was able to burn a DVD of that show. Unfortunately the video editor software was a 30 day trial version and I can no longer burn anything from tv or VHS player/recorders to a DVD.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You know how some VCR tapes, DVDs, and TV shows have closed captioning, or maybe closed captioning in several languages? Well in the video data there is a "space" (for lack of a better word) between the frames. It is kind of like the space in a film between each frame, only instead of on film, it is a digital space. Technically, it is several extra lines of scan data that is virtually displayed on the bottom of your TV screen. Your TV doesn't scan the lines the data is on, but it is down there.

What does this have to do with your question, you ask? In those invisible lines are the security codes for copy protection among other things. In a truly professional studio (one where you can add and delete things like closed captioning), you can delete all those extra lines of data and remove the copy protection. I have never found a simple way to do it on normal home user equipment. A friend of mine downloaded some hacking software from one of the bit torrent sites, but I never tried it.

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts
I know there are several companies around here that do that sort of thing as a business.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
I still want to keep my VHS tapes and I'm not even sure if they play anymore.
T-Mo, if I'm not mistaken you have to play the tape in order to encode it so it can be "burnt" to DVD. At least that's what I had to do in order to get my VHS on DVD. As for the tape being copy protected,I've done (encoded) bought tapes just the same as my own,and they come out just fine.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
T-Mo, if I'm not mistaken you have to play the tape in order to encode it so it can be "burnt" to DVD. At least that's what I had to do in order to get my VHS on DVD. As for the tape being copy protected,I've done (encoded) bought tapes just the same as my own,and they come out just fine.
Greg,

Do you recall the software and any special hardware you used? The programs I've tried would never do it.

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
I just have an older Sony VHS recorder/player,and a Hauppage 250 TV card (which I can't use in my new rig....no PCI slots). The software I use for editing and encoding is Power Director 9 by Cyberlink. A lot depends on the type of copy protection the company uses/used too. Some are more forgiving to copy than others.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Doesn't Wally-World offer such a conversion service? Of course they may balk at converting a tape made by someone other than John and Jane Q. Public.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
I just seem to recall a TV ad from Wally-World offering a service to convert DVD's to digital files. That's what made me think they might offer a VHS conversion service too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts