Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ate some stir fry veggies the other evening that were excellent...crispy with a smoky flavor like they had come off a grill or smoker. The waiter said they were prepared with Sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Sesame oil is new to me; just wondered if anyone had experience with it. I bought some and plan to experiment with it. Any testimonials out there?
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Ate some stir fry veggies the other evening that were excellent...crispy with a smoky flavor like they had come off a grill or smoker. The waiter said they were prepared with Sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Sesame oil is new to me; just wondered if anyone had experience with it. I bought some and plan to experiment with it. Any testimonials out there?
Thanks,
Dennis
I have been cooking with it for many years. It is the first thing to hit the pan when I do stir fry which is quite often. I like to put real garlic oil in with it for cooking the meat part of the stir fry. I use ginger powder, teriyaki and soy sauce also in the mix. I also will put in some of the stir fry sauces that can behad at the gourmet Chinese section of most markets. House of Tsao is one such sauce. Yummmm!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I've used sesame oil for many years, but just as a flavor additive and not as the main oil for stir frying. I think that it has a very strong flavor and I will just add a dash or two near the end of cooking. I'll use EVOO, peanut or corn oil or other light oil for the main stir fry.

If I am stir frying, I prefer fresh herbs such as garlic and ginger and only use powdered or dried if fresh is not available. To me, there is a night and day difference between powdered ginger and fresh ginger. If you don't use all your ginger root over a period of time, you can freeze it so it won't dry out or mold.

Good to experiment with food and cooking.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
my wife used to use Crisco and if and when we had it-nice white hog lard. nothing any better in my personal opinion. now she uses (jeez-i just can't think of the word thats on the bottle)

as far as stir fry stuff here-none--i have ate it once--my one friend who i met while trucking, had me to his house, and he actually made it for me-it wasn't to bad-i guess. i told him it was good , so i wouldn't hurt his feelings then--:mocking:but he has since passed on, so i can now say how i liked it -or not.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
my wife used to use Crisco and if and when we had it-nice white hog lard. nothing any better in my personal opinion. now she uses (jeez-i just can't think of the word thats on the bottle)

as far as stir fry stuff here-none--i have ate it once--my one friend who i met while trucking, had me to his house, and he actually made it for me-it wasn't to bad-i guess. i told him it was good , so i wouldn't hurt his feelings then--:mocking:but he has since passed on, so i can now say how i liked it -or not.
Too many vegetables and not enough dead animal for some people! It is a matter of personal taste. I would rather eat stir fry than Sheetz's devil biscuits!:lolol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,731 Posts
Good post 2LaneCruzer.
We have a bottle of sesame oil but have never figured out how to use it.

pappa, Enlighten us a bit more a bit more, we mostly do stir fry veggies.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Good post 2LaneCruzer.
We have a bottle of sesame oil but have never figured out how to use it.

pappa, Enlighten us a bit more a bit more, we mostly do stir fry veggies.
Pappa making a stir fry video would be awesome.�� We could cook along.��

I'm all ears as well, I make stir fry but it needs more flavor.��
I shall do my best to create a Stir fry for dummies post tomorrow. It's late, I need to digest the 2 helpings of crock pot roast beef and the Warrior game is starting.:laugh:

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Too many vegetables and not enough dead animal for some people! It is a matter of personal taste. I would rather eat stir fry than Sheetz's devil biscuits!:lolol:
why-hell yes-i probably would too.:mocking: in fact i know i would now-after my episode i had with them devil biscuits-jeepers:banghead::lol:

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great responses, guys! Thanks! I'm contemplating maybe experimenting with Sesame oil in some of my grilled or smoked meats. They're pretty good as they are, but who knows. Having worked in a research lab for 16 years, I still kinda like to experiment...I just don't keep all those tiresome old records that I did then.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I shall do my best to create a Stir fry for dummies post tomorrow. It's late, I need to digest the 2 helpings of crock pot roast beef and the Warrior game is starting.:laugh:
I used quinoa tonight to go with the veges but I sometimes use short grain brown rice. Not your Uncle Ben's or minute rice but the real cook 1 hour stuff. I need to go eat but will give the details of this mix if any one is interested!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
You should add oyster sauce to your stock of flavorings. It's a classic. Watch the amount though, it's quite high in salt content, but yummy.

You meal looks delicious!!!

2 cents.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
I used quinoa tonight to go with the veges but I sometimes use short grain brown rice. Not your Uncle Ben's or minute rice but the real cook 1 hour stuff. I need to go eat but will give the details of this mix if any one is interested!

Yes, I'd like the details of stir fry for dummies.😄 Looks delicious by the way.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,731 Posts
You should add oyster sauce to your stock of flavorings. It's a classic. Watch the amount though, it's quite high in salt content, but yummy.
You meal looks delicious!!!
2 cents.
I'm a fan of oyster sauce also.

Yes, I'd like the details of stir fry for dummies.😄 Looks delicious by the way.
X2.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I'm a fan of oyster sauce also.

X2.
Ever since one of those slimy mucous laden things slithered down my throat and blasted off like a space shuttle from my stomach I have refused to have anything to do with anything "oyster".:laugh:

I start by cutting 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast into 3/4" chunks and frying them up in the 12"
skillet using a little garlic olive oil and sesame oil if you have it. You could use a real lean pork tri tip as a replacement for the chicken. Cook covered until meat becomes slightly browned and done.
Chop 1/2 large red sweet onion (Bermuda) into 3/4 " squares and add to pan to cook for a few minutes.
Chop the rest of the vegetables into bite size chunks to add to the pan at the same time. I like 2 small zucchinis, half a head of broccoli, 1 red bell pepper, Snow peas, can of sliced water chestnuts, couple dozen almonds, frozen peas and frozen green beans. This is the ingredients for the winter stir fry when fresh ingredients are not available. Add to pan and pour on the spices. Use approximately 1/3 of a cup of the stir fry sauce and 1/4 cup sesame ginger sauce and several shakes of the teriyaki sauce. I like a little zip in mine but the wife likes it mild so I don't use the hot sauce. Stir in the ingredients and cook covered over medium high for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Test the mix for taste and cook to desired firmness. Serve over precooked short grain brown rice or a healthier quinoa. I add soy sauce to mine after putting the food into serving dish. Crack open a Sapporo beer or some Saki and feast.

I plant my garden in the spring with all the above green ingredients and more with the thought of making fresh stir fry several times a week. Doctor told me years ago to ease up on the red meat and drop some weight and stir fry has been good to me.
Try this and tweak the recipe to suit your own tasted. Sometimes I put chard, spinach, carrots, cauliflower or celery in the mix for a little variety. Use beef , fish or shrimp for other meat, either way it is all good.:good2:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Pappa, No Wok?
That begs the question, Wok for?:dunno::laugh: Don't have one because I don't need it. I have rice cookers and so many other appliances that if I bought one more I would have to add on to my kitchen!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Pappa, No Wok?
No ,no wok. I suppose the next question is , "do you eat the meal with chop sticks?" For all their incredible inventions and innovations to mankind thru the centuries you would think that the Chinese would have come up with forks and spoons instead of two sticks to eat with!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts