Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be a little premature in writing this up given I haven't done a lot of my own research yet but thought I would get some insight before I go on the hunt.

I recently replaced the coolant in my 1026. It was long overdue for replacement. I think it was back in October when I did it.
All seemed to go quite well, or so I thought.

I refilled with the 50/50 mix from JD. When radiator was full I filled the reservoir up to the low level mark (I think thats what the marking is). See, I'm at work right now so I don't have access to my tractor. :quiet:

Anyways, since doing the radiator flush, the tractor has had little use (in between mowing season and plowing season)

However, after the next few light uses I noticed a small amount of coolant under the tractor. Looked around a bit but couldn't really tell where it had come from. I had guessed at that time it may have come from the overflow tube from reservoir. I did check the radiator plug and it was tight. After doing some simple checks I kind of wrote it off as an overflow issue.

Since then I've had it out a few times plowing and just last nite noticed another fairly larger pool of what appears to be coolant under the tractor (noticed it after having sat for about a week or so).
I didn't notice any overheating with the tractor back at its last use but then again probably didn't pay real close attention either.

I'm a little concerned but am thinking this has got to be related to me having replaced the coolant (too coincidental that I had never seen coolant leakage and then start seeing it shortly after replacing it).

For now I'm guessing it may be coming out of the reservoir overflow but not sure why that would be the case given it seems far from overfilled when looking at the level in the reservoir.

One thing I'm wondering about is whether the o-ring may have come off the radiator plug before I put it back in. I doubt that is it because I'm usually pretty anal about stuff like that. Even a bit OCD sometimes in that I'll pull it back out to double check.

I'm going to poke around in more depth this weekend but thought I would see what others might think on this or possibly whether others may have had a similar issue.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Craig,

You need to determine where it is leaking, until then we are all guessing. Also, don't assume that the problem is related to your service work, that can lead you down the wrong path, experience talking here. Sometimes these things are just coincidences. I am not saying to not rule it out completely, but don't be so sure. One thing for sure is you have to define where the leak is coming from first and sometimes it takes a little time and patience. Good luck.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine. I had to trace back the Overflow tube back to the reservoir just to make sure, and it was the issue. After quite a few heat/Cool cycles, it eventually stopped. Seems mine wanted to find it's own level it felt comfortable with.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar issue with mine. I had to trace back the Overflow tube back to the reservoir just to make sure, and it was the issue. After quite a few heat/Cool cycles, it eventually stopped. Seems mine wanted to find it's own level it felt comfortable with.
Thanks for your info HouseMouse. I know I need to trace back to see where the leak is coming from but I was hoping to see a reply exactly as yours. I'm guessing the same is going on with mine but I'll scope it out this weekend to see for sure. Just good to hear that someone else had a similar issue and it just had to find its own level.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thanks for your info HouseMouse. I know I need to trace back to see where the leak is coming from but I was hoping to see a reply exactly as yours. I'm guessing the same is going on with mine but I'll scope it out this weekend to see for sure. Just good to hear that someone else had a similar issue and it just had to find its own level.

There are two hoses co-mingled near the Right Front Axel... just forward(?) I forget at the moment. One is the hose that comes off the radiator Pet Cock.. (Can we still say that?), and the other is from the Over Flow tank itself. You need to crawl under and visually verify which one is at issue. Do not guess a s I did. Then trace it back. Drove me nuts till I crawled under and looked for it. The Overflow hose is hard to find so to speak as the Radiator drain was out in the open and EZ to spot. A large inspection mirror may help. Again, these two hoses intertwine inside the Engine compartment, so hand trace them back to the end.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are two hoses co-mingled near the Right Front Axel... just forward(?) I forget at the moment. One is the hose that comes off the radiator Pet Cock.. (Can we still say that?), and the other is from the Over Flow tank itself. You need to crawl under and visually verify which one is at issue. Do not guess a s I did. Then trace it back. Drove me nuts till I crawled under and looked for it. The Overflow hose is hard to find so to speak as the Radiator drain was out in the open and EZ to spot. A large inspection mirror may help. Again, these two hoses intertwine inside the Engine compartment, so hand trace them back to the end.
Thanks again. I think I've seen both hoses down there when I did my flush a few months back. Funny you mention getting a mirror to scope that out. I've been toying with getting this new toy although it likely wouldn't be here in time for this weekend but this might be a good reason for me to purchase. Mostly looking at this item for my work environment but thinking there are times that this would come in handy at home too. A vendor we do business with in the semiconductor test business put me onto this. They swear by it for their line of work thus my line of work in that I work on their equipment. I'm thinking pretty seriously of getting one myself to use at work and at home.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LNSYUBC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2W1N2JCHSCAET&coliid=IQXQ84WTKXFSS&psc=1

·
Premium Member
12,282 Posts
A vendor we do business with in the semiconductor test business put me onto this. They swear by it for their line of work thus my line of work in that I work on their equipment. I'm thinking pretty seriously of getting one myself to use at work and at home.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LNSYUBC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2W1N2JCHSCAET&coliid=IQXQ84WTKXFSS&psc=1
Finding the coolant leak with a camera like this can be very difficult and frustrating. They can be helpful for looking into specific hidden areas but trying to do a general inspection with one will drive you crazy. You would be much better off with dye and a UV light.

I recommend you first crawl under the tractor with a good flashlight and localize the area of the leak. If it is leaking as much as you describe it should be easy to localize.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
cwlumbra, Check all the hose clamps while you're looking around.
I had a similar problem with our 2320, turned out to be the water pump gasket.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Thanks again. I think I've seen both hoses down there when I did my flush a few months back. Funny you mention getting a mirror to scope that out. I've been toying with getting this new toy although it likely wouldn't be here in time for this weekend but this might be a good reason for me to purchase. Mostly looking at this item for my work environment but thinking there are times that this would come in handy at home too. A vendor we do business with in the semiconductor test business put me onto this. They swear by it for their line of work thus my line of work in that I work on their equipment. I'm thinking pretty seriously of getting one myself to use at work and at home.

If i had that 16.5 foot scope i could hav avoided the colon scope i just had, I could have saved 300$:yahoo::yahoo:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If the overflow keeps burping it's most likely a bad radiator cap. You can pressure check the cap if you have access to the tester. If not just replace it with a new one. They are not that expensive. Just make sure that the new one is the proper pressure.

If your cap is not holding the proper pressure it will lower the boiling point of the coolant. Even if you are running the proper 50/50 mixture.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
If the overflow keeps burping it's most likely a bad radiator cap. You can pressure check the cap if you have access to the tester. If not just replace it with a new one. They are not that expensive. Just make sure that the new one is the proper pressure.

If your cap is not holding the proper pressure it will lower the boiling point of the coolant. Even if you are running the proper 50/50 mixture.
As Giz said, the most likely culprit due to change in temp would be the radiator hose clamps. Mine loosened twice, then out came the Loctite. No problems since. Next time I will purchase good radiator clamps, not the cheap junk ones Mother Deere installs at the factory.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,729 Posts
The constant pressure style clamps were a pain in the rear when I first messed with them, but now I use them whenever I can. You never have a problem with them loosening up or leaking unlike worm clamps. Worm clamps also do not apply even pressure. Perhaps its time to invest in some new clamps?

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
The constant pressure style clamps were a pain in the rear when I first messed with them, but now I use them whenever I can. You never have a problem with them loosening up or leaking unlike worm clamps. Worm clamps also do not apply even pressure. Perhaps its time to invest in some new clamps?
I like the constant tension style as well, do you have a good source of where you buy them?

·
Administrator
20,729 Posts
Amazon has them. You have to do a search on the size. I've also gotten them at NAPA. Grainger and MSC carries them as well. :good2:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I ordered this assortment of clamps from Amazon, but it only covers 3/8" to 11/16". It should be good for fuel, vacuum lines and heater hoses, but I haven't found an assortment of radiator sized ones yet.

One downside of the constant tension clamps can be getting to them with a pair of pliers, especially if they were factory installed before other parts were put in the way. I bought a hose clamp plier kit years ago, but the cable pliers is the only thing I've ever used out of it. They're a lifesaver on some of the constant tension clamps.

cablepliers.jpg

·
Administrator
20,729 Posts
I have those very pliers. They are amazing at how easy those clamps can be removed and installed. :thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,763 Posts
I ordered this assortment of clamps from Amazon, but it only covers 3/8" to 11/16". It should be good for fuel, vacuum lines and heater hoses, but I haven't found an assortment of radiator sized ones yet.

One downside of the constant tension clamps can be getting to them with a pair of pliers, especially if they were factory installed before other parts were put in the way. I bought a hose clamp plier kit years ago, but the cable pliers is the only thing I've ever used out of it. They're a lifesaver on some of the constant tension clamps.

View attachment 283058
Didn't even know they made such an animal, would come in real handy on an outboard where things get pretty tight. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I bought a set of those pliers AFTER dealing with the clamps for the hose that has to be removed to clean the strainer doing the 50 hour service on 1025r, so as to be ready for the next time this has to be done.

Now if I can just remember where they are by then. :laugh:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Checked things out this afternoon with the coolant leakage. Followed the trail of leakage markings as best I could. Seems like some of the coolant ended up in places that were difficult to tell where it came from but I think the main source was from both hose connections going in and out of the engine block.

Tightened all the radiator hose clamps on all 4 clamp connections. All 4 connections seemed they had room to be tightened.
Cleaned up the coolant leakage trail as best I could. Wait and watch now to see if this resolves the issue.

I guess at next coolant change I will take the advice of others and look at changing the clamps themselves as well.
Plus looks like another new tool for the tool box as well.

Thanks to all for the advice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts