Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer keeps telling me it air being purged out of the system that is emptying my recovery bottle. Well, how long would that take? I have a new x738 with 8 hours on it. Just did the first oil change. I have just refilled the bottle and marked the tank to see how much is leaking out. The first tank emptied out in 5 hours.
Does this sound like air in the system or is it something else.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hello, Pls clarify. The title of the thread indicates the coolant is coming out of the overflow hose, but the description sounds more like its just emptying into the system as air is purged out. The only reason it would come out of the overflow hose that I know of is if its overfilled or its overheating. Does temperature gauge read normal? If its low because it draining into the system, it seems normal that this would occur to displace air; however 8 hours seems like a long time. The only other possibility though is an external leak. Have you notice one? If its running at normal temp and there is no leak and its not coming out of the overflow hose, I would top it up again and you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
My belief is that purging air is accomplished with numerous hot to cold cycles and not necessarily hours of operation.
It is normal to have air purged and a reduction in overflow bottle coolant level for a short time when new. I would continue to keep adding coolant for a little while longer before I declared the engine was consuming coolant.
My 1025 looses a little at a time from sloshing in the tank when I travel over my rough ground so I would recommend you mark your tank somewhere around 1/3 full when cold.
Keep a close eye on the mark when cold.
Keep examining the engine and hose connections for signs of leakage.
If no external leaks are evident then I would begin to suspect a need for examination under warranty.
Good luck sir.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I run the tractor an hour or so( it runs at normal temperature ) and put the tractor in the garage it drips coolant out of the hose on the recovery bottle onto the floor, first I thought it was just over full but kept going until near empty. The radiator is always full. Dealer keeps telling me it's purging air out of system to keep filling the recovery bottle between the hot and cold lines and I have.
If there is air in the system HOW long might it take to purge out. Or should I take it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
200 Posts
If the hose in the recovery tank is not below the liquid in the tank, it can't pull any coolant back into the system.

This is what I do. When cold, fill the radiator full. Then fill the recovery tank so the level is 1/2 way up the normal operating level. (or more) Cut the lawn. After parking the tractor hot, immediately check the coolant tank. It has to have coolant in it at this time. If not, it will pull air back into the system while the tractor cools. If it's low, fill it to the top operating level. (Recovery tank) Let cool down completely and refill the recovery tank to 1/2 normal operating level. This may take several attempts.

As long as the hose can pickup coolant from the recovery tank, it will pull in what it needs.

Normally this only takes a few heat cycles to balance out. (completely hot to completely cold) This is assuming the tank and hose are good.

When your done cutting there should be coolant in the tank within the operating range. Usually closer to the top line when hot.

Without a picture of the overflow tank, I'm guessing the tank has a hose from the radiator and one from the top of the tank down as an overflow? I think you are saying it's the overflow that's dripping?

·
Registered
321 Posts
You better start looking for a different dealer to deal with on this issue., as you will be needing one soon on the problem your mention. The person you talked to probably was on his second day of employment there. No motorized unit of any kind keeps removing coolant from a reservoir tank unless there is a internal problem. A new dealer will apply a coolant passage air test to find why air is been pulled and exhaled out.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
Meh, the early 1 series tractors did the same thing. Turned out to be something very simple. The cap wasn't sealing very well to the bottle. When you ran the tractor around, the coolant sloshed around and spilled out. Many times it looked as though the coolant was coming out the overflow, but in reality it wasn't. JD had quickly come out with an updated bottle not as susceptible to leaking.

I wouldn't get to worked up over this, at least yet. Let the dealer figure this out since it's under warranty. You could always wrap a paper towel and tape it into position around the neck of the bottle to see if you get coolant. That would advance the troubleshooting needed. :good2:

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
Meh, the early 1 series tractors did the same thing. Turned out to be something very simple. The cap wasn't sealing very well to the bottle. when you ran the tractor around, the coolant sloshed around and spilled out. Many times it looked as though the coolant was coming out the overflow, but in reality it wasn't. JD had quickly come out with an updated bottle not to susceptible to leaking.

I wouldn't get to worked up over this, at least yet. Let the dealer figure this out since it's under warranty. You could always wrap a paper towel and tape it into position around the neck of the bottle to see if you get coolant. That would advance the troubleshooting needed. :good2:
True or not - I have found some machines just seem to find their own level in the recovery tank. We had one - you would fill it to the cold mark before a cold start in the morning. The next morning it would be down 1/2 way between the cold mark and the bottom of the bottle. Every day the same thing.

So one day I didn’t add any coolant - left it where it was. From then on we never had to add coolant. Seems the machine just liked that level of coolant in the bottle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Meh, the early 1 series tractors did the same thing. Turned out to be something very simple. The cap wasn't sealing very well to the bottle. when you ran the tractor around, the coolant sloshed around and spilled out. Many times it looked as though the coolant was coming out the overflow, but in reality it wasn't. JD had quickly come out with an updated bottle not to susceptible to leaking.
Good catch!

I checked the X738 parts and they used two different tanks. One with a snap on lid (leaker) and another with a screw on cap.

Same on my 1025R. Snap on splash leaked. Dealer replaced it with the screw on cap model.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
True or not - I have found some machines just seem to find their own level in the recovery tank. We had one - you would fill it to the cold mark before a cold start in the morning. The next morning it would be down 1/2 way between the cold mark and the bottom of the bottle. Every day the same thing.

So one day I didn’t add any coolant - left it where it was. From then on we never had to add coolant. Seems the machine just liked that level of coolant in the bottle.
I've seen that as well. I wish I could explain it. :dunno: Perhaps it was the same issue? Splashed out the overflow until it reached a level that no longer could make it out? :think:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

My previous kubota was this same way. If I filled the tank to the full mark it would drip once I parked the tractor. After filling it several times I said the heck with it and left it alone. It dripped down to slightly below the add mark and I never added to it, it never dripped again. I just wrote it off as that's where the level needed to be and carried on with ownership problem free of any coolant issues.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It sounds to me like the radiator over flow line and the reservoir vent line are reversed. This would cause the conditions you are having.

Check that the line from the radiator overflow fitting connects to the fitting pointing UP on the reservoir. The fitting that is facing down is for the vent line.

George of Buford

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So one day I didn’t add any coolant - left it where it was. From then on we never had to add coolant. Seems the machine just like that level of coolant in the bottle.
This is what it's starting to look like. If you fill the recovery bottle between the hot and cold marks it will drip out down to about 2 inches in the bottle and stop. Seems it stays right there no dripping. This just freaked me out, none of my other liquid cooled JD tractors ever did this. And I never spent $10,000 on a lawn mower before either. Just a little parnoid to see that wet spot on the floor after every uses.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
570 Posts
. And I never spent $10,000 on a lawn mower before either. Just a little parnoid to see that wet spot on the floor after every uses.:bigthumb:
Did you ever think maybe, your newly acquired tractor may be getting just as excited as you are? That may explain the "wet spot" on the floor. She might want you to work her harder :mocking:

·
Registered
352 Posts
After I run the tractor an hour or so( it runs at normal temperature ) and put the tractor in the garage it drips coolant out of the hose on the recovery bottle onto the floor, first I thought it was just over full but kept going until near empty. The radiator is always full. Dealer keeps telling me it's purging air out of system to keep filling the recovery bottle between the hot and cold lines and I have.
If there is air in the system HOW long might it take to purge out. Or should I take it back to the dealer?
From your first post it looks like the first tank emptied in about 5 hours of use. I would expect this to resolve after a few more cycles. If the interval between emptying gets longer each time, its air in the system. If it stays around 5 hours, you have a leak. Watch your temp gauge also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Documenting this for my curiosity, have never had to add any coolant in the one year I have owned this machine, 41.4 hours my total run time.
Always have some coolant out the overflow hose on the deck. Radiator full, level prior to starting.

Coolant level after approx 1 hour

Temp at the one hour mark, temps in the 90's. Cleaned inner and outer screens

After approx another 1 hour

Temp after that 2nd hour, had to be getting in the 100's. Forecast high 106-8. Approx 2 pm

Coolant on deck, it from the overflow hose confirmed by finged on end of hose=wet. I did not check where the hose is on the overflow tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would look for a loose clamp on hose, either on neck of radiator or going into the overflow container. The hose may have crack or cut (hole). The dispersal pattern is all over the front of the deck. Check the hose from the over full container, see if it is failing around or maybe to short and the liquid is being blown by the fan. Double all cooling hose clamps while you are at it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like some here said about air may be in the system or my tractor needed to find it's own level I now have 10 hours and the level has stayed the same. And all the leaking has stopped. It seems to be at a lower level about to the lower line. My dealer said from the beginning of this it was trapped air in the system and others said it needed to find it's level. Thank you to everyone here for your help in getting me through this. And just maybe I freaked out a little seeing my shiny new tractor pissing antifreeze out on the garage floor.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would look for a loose clamp on hose, either on neck of radiator or going into the overflow container. The hose may have crack or cut (hole). The dispersal pattern is all over the front of the deck. Check the hose from the over full container, see if it is failing around or maybe to short and the liquid is being blown by the fan. Double all cooling hose clamps while you are at it.
I am fairing certain it is coming out the reservoir overflow hose as evidenced by hose was dry, when I put my finger on the end it was wet.

Hose clamps should all be tight but will check and look at things again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts