Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since we built the cabin shown in my avatar, I've looked occasionally for a screen for the fireplace. It's the smallest all-masonry Rumford style one we could build. Dad cut and laid the stone himself, well into his 70s.

The opening is "over-square", taller than it is wide, about 24" x 30", so I couldn't find anything pre-made. I inventoried my skills and decided to make something myself.

It's made of 1/2" copper water pipe and fittings, with an 8 mesh bronze screen, and I cut out and hammered some copper oak leaf and acorn decorations for it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's made of 1/2" copper water pipe and fittings, with an 8 mesh bronze screen, and I cut out and hammered some copper oak leaf and acorn decorations for it.
Very nice. Did you solder the fittings to the pipe, or just dry fit them? Just curious, I'd hate it if you had a blazing fire and you'd have to mess with any resoldering :bigthumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all soldered except the screen is pop riveted to the frame. I've built a couple of fires and the frame and handles stay cool.

If it got hot enough to melt the solder, the cabin would be on fire.

I've looked at other copper pipe projects on the internet, and I'm enough of a purist that it drives me nuts when someone glues it together rather than soldering it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Very nice work, looks great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts