Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what brands of cordless drills do folks use around here? I have a DeWalt 18v that the battery is dead and won't hold a charge beyond a few minutes of usage. I know that's somewhat the nature of the beast, but what brands would you recommend that the batteries last longer on and that can be used for general home and garage maintenance?

Or what brand replacement batteries? I have the drill and circular saw combo... Hard to trash it!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
You mean you can't get replacement batteries for your tools? I like to get two batteries for my stuff and that way one is always charged. They may even last longer that way. My drill is a Craftsmen 18v. I even dropped it from 12 feet on to concrete, never phased it a bit. That has been probably 8 years ago by now and it is still going.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I imagine you can, but what can I buy that will last the longest?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a 12v Makita drill and last fall I got the 18v Lithium Milwaukee setup... Needless to say I'm in LOVE with my Milwaukee setup.
The makita Drill itself is awesome, but the batteries are less then stellar. to extend the life of the Makita, I bought some "no name brand" batteries off eBay for 30.00 for 2...those batteries work better then the 100 buck Makita batteries....but they are still NiCad...inevitably those batteries are always dead. My Milwaukee seems to be self charging... :laugh:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I'm satisfied with the DeWalts, and you can get spare batteries for them at the box stores. They made a change about 4-5 years back. The original batteries just had the two charging terminals on them. Then, they added a 3rd small electrode between the big charging ones. The companion charger uses that 3rd terminal to measure the temperature of the batteries during a charge. The replacement batteries and charger lasted much longer than the original ones (in terms of # of charges). Sensing battery temperatures on NiCads (or nickle metal hydride batteries) has been around since the 70's (at least), DeWalt cheaped out and then had to make changes.

So, if I was buying new I'd go for a lithium system. If I was happy with my various DeWalt tools I'd check the charger/battery for the 3rd terminal. If you have it, just get replacement batteries (on line seems to be cheaper than box stores, but factor in shipping). If you don't have the 3rd little terminal, I'd still consider new batteries and a charger. I got new batteries and charger 5 years ago when we started the house, they are still OK. Not quite as much charge but they've seen a lot of use. The original two terminal only batteries lasted 5 years, but that was with infrequent weekend warrior homeowner use- nothing like the 20 months of house construction.

Pete

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
I have all DeWalt 18v stuff as well. You cab get a 2-pack of batteries for just over $100 or so, sometime they are on sale 'round Christmas time also. I have also just bought a new tool to get the batteries and the extra charger. My current list is:

2 drills
impact driver
sawzall
circular saw
2 different flashlights
and 5 or 6 batteries.
radio/charger

The last tool I got was the impact driver-it is simply amazing for driving screw's-it's my most used tool. I also never let the batteries sit on the charger after they are charged as that can decrease the life of them. I also keep them in the basement and not let them go through temperature extremes.

There are also rebuilders online they will put new cell's in you packs for about 70% on of a new pack price.

My suggestion to you is to get a Impact driver:beer:

·
Registered
733 Posts
My suggestion to you is to get a Impact driver:beer:
Couldnt agree with Kenny more...
I never saw the "need" for one...always used the drill/driver. But the impacting driver is FAR Superior for driving screws. I fell in love with them when I used a buddies.

I'll tell you what, my most used tool is the 3/8" Impact is simply amazing...I use that for EVERYTHING. I love it.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
There are also rebuilders online they will put new cell's in you packs for about 70% on of a new pack price.
The local battery rebuilder here charges about the same for rebuilding my NiCad batteries as buying new. :mad:

I have older USA made Milwaukee 18V NiCad Sawzall and hammer-drill that I like. I've used the drill a lot and I think it's starting to die as it doesn't seem to hammer anymore and I'm noticing a faint odor of DC electrical smell.

Now Milwaukee makes their stuff in China and still charges the premium USA price. :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
This thread reminded me about some older batteries I had sitting outside. So I was cleaning up tools in the basement and I found a new drill with 2 batteries and a charger that I had no clue I had.:lol: Thanks for the post Fordguy, you got me thinking and looking!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My personal preference....

A number of years ago I purchased a Rigid 18v cordless frm Home Depot. It has a 1/2" keyless chuck 2 batteries a really heavy weight toolbag and charger. I know thAg I didnt pay more than $100 for the kit and I have not been able to kill it yet. But when I do, it has a LIFETIME WARRANTY on all of it- batteries and all. Just yesterday had 1 of the batteries didntseem to be holding a charge as long as the other took it to the repair shop and they warrantied out both for me without any issues. Since the originl purchase, its all I buy espescially when you look at the replacement cost of just the batteries alone.........just my 2 cents
bukithed

·
Banned
747 Posts
Yup, Rigid isn't half-bad gear, especially with the lifetime warranty. It's the main reason why I got my 1/2 inch corded hammer drill.

A number of years ago I purchased a Rigid 18v cordless frm Home Depot. It has a 1/2" keyless chuck 2 batteries a really heavy weight toolbag and charger. I know thAg I didnt pay more than $100 for the kit and I have not been able to kill it yet. But when I do, it has a LIFETIME WARRANTY on all of it- batteries and all. Just yesterday had 1 of the batteries didntseem to be holding a charge as long as the other took it to the repair shop and they warrantied out both for me without any issues. Since the originl purchase, its all I buy espescially when you look at the replacement cost of just the batteries alone.........just my 2 cents
bukithed

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I, recently, replaced my 8 year old Ryobi set with a Hitachi 18v lith-ion 1/2" drill, 1/4" driver, flashlight set w/ 2 batteries from http://www.reconditionedsales.com. I use them every day. Great battery life. Very reasonably priced. I also have an old 14v ni-cad John Deere(Hitachi) 3/8" impact that has been going strong for about 4 years. My 1/2" impact is a Snap-on 18v. It has ni-cads, but the charger will work with lith-ion. I will upgrade the batteries when/if they wear out. It's a beast. Can't complain about any of them.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have two Bosch drills, (a 24 volt not pictured) and a 14 volt model and my trusty old Dewalt 14 volt which is my favorite even though it has to be one of the first 14 volt battery drills Dewalt produced.

I'm guessing I bought it in the early 80's, anyway as soon as they came out I bought one, it just feels right in my hand, I love the drill.

The blue drill shown with old white gas blow torch is a HF $14 drill, it's a good drill but the battery doesn't stay charged long.

What I should do is take it to a place that replaces batteries and have them put nicads in it.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.