Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally had it with my old lever type grease gun(s). I go so fed up with it leaving grease in the cartridge, leaking all over the place when stored that I threw them as far as I could into the field. I'm DONE.

So I have searched this forum and see that both Milwaukee and DeWalt make pretty good cordless grease guns, but some of the review are a bit old, so I am hoping to see what folks recommend that have used either/both of these for a couple of years.

Since I am kind of a neat-freak by nature, do any of these guns not leak when stored?

I saw a few complaints on how heavy some of these are (maybe the NiCad versions), but don't know if any of the Li-Ion versions are significantly different than the others.

I noticed that Milwaukee offers both a 12volt and 18 volt Li-Ion version and DeWalt offers a 18 volt NiCad and 20volt Li-Ion. Any negatives to the 12 volt version?

To bad Ridgid does not offer one as I have a plethora of their cordless tools which are great, and their lifetime warranty is even better!

What ever I end up with I will install a Lock-N-Lube on it!

Thanks!

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If the "leakage" you are talking about is what I get,, it is the oil separating from the grease.
An electric grease gun will not stop that.

Many people have a piece of PVC pipe with a cap to store the grease gun,,
the cap catches the leakage.

I have a metal shelf where I store my grease guns,,,
under the shelf, I just keep some kitty litter,
it catches the oil, and smells good!! :mocking:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would wait to hear from others about whether or not they leak. Mine has not leaked and I love this one. It's really sped up greasing by a bunch.
What one do you have - the 18 or 20volt DeWalt?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the "leakage" you are talking about is what I get,, it is the oil separating from the grease.
An electric grease gun will not stop that.

Many people have a piece of PVC pipe with a cap to store the grease gun,,
the cap catches the leakage.

I have a metal shelf where I store my grease guns,,,
under the shelf, I just keep some kitty litter,
it catches the oil, and smells good!! :mocking:
I'm talking about grease dripping out the bottom of the gun. I *think* some guns might be better than others, depending on how they seal.

Of course looking at the JD literature, their multi-purpose, extreme duty synthetic grease says that this grease will not drip, run or evaporate - so that might fix a problem with a normally 'drippy' grease gun - but it's $10/tube. So using this grease with a great quality gun might be the ticket.

Reactions: OxPath and BigJim55

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You might not have the problem in your climate, but here in the heat in our Texas summers I've never had a grease gun that would not eventually leak. I have the DeWalt 18v gun and I just tie a zip-loc bag over the end of it when not using. All my other lever guns I store by hanging them over the side of a 5 gallon bucket so they can drip into it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have had the 20V Dewalt around 1-1/2 years. I keep it hanging at oudoor temperature under an overhang to my barn. It is over a clean concrete floor and I have seen no leaks under or around it. It's filled with Lucas polyurea grease.

My pistol grip John Deere brand grease gun filled with Deere polyurea grease does leak. I've had it 2 years. My 35 year old no name pistol grip from K Mart has never leaked. Several different brands of grease in it over the years.

Love the Dewalt with the LocknLube tip. I have arthritis and had a horse step on my right hand years ago, and being able to grease with just one hand is a real blessing.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I have a dewalt 18 volt. It doesn't leak, works well. But, it's only a year or so old.

Reactions: OxPath

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Grease leaks are a curse

The only grease gun I've ever had without a leak had no grease in it.
That said, my 20V DeWalt with the Lock n lube tip is pretty clean. I just wish the tip would go into the smaller places on the 1025R.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The only grease gun I've ever had without a leak had no grease in it.
That said, my 20V DeWalt with the Lock n lube tip is pretty clean. I just wish the tip would go into the smaller places on the 1025R.
A grease gun that leaks, or not, is not due to the gun,,,

it is because of the particular grease in the grease gun!

I used to buy synthetic grease at a local surplus store.
The grease did not leak for a decade of use.

Then, just out of the blue, one case simply started leaking.
That was the first time I had seen synthetic separate.

When I worked on the farm, and we refilled grease guns from a small drum with a pump,,
the grease guns NEVER leaked.
That was because ALL the grease guns on the farm stayed empty!! :laugh:

You knew how much grease YOU needed for the day,
and did not bother to fill more grease gun(s) than needed.
:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
156 Posts
M18 Milwaukee grease gun here, and I use Lucas red and tacky grease, minimal if any leakage. It’s a luxury to have an electric grease gun for a guy like me, but I’m happy with the purchase.

My old Lincoln pump grease gun leaked bad...

As a side not I would give a big thumbs up to the lock n lube coupler!

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
My De Walt doesn' t

The De Walt I have is the 20 V. I never thought in a million years I would be using a power grease gun but I sure do like it!
Leo

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.

After researching, I ended up ordering the Milwaukee 18 volt kit with a 10% off coupon from Tools-Plus, as it had a longer warranty (5 years) than the DeWalt (3 years), and it looks like spare parts were readily available if need be.

Ordering the lock-n-lube as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts