Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked a little about this in "OFF TOPIC" I decided to start a new thread. I don't want to mess with a gas trimmer or dragging an extension cord around, so recommend a cordless string trimmer/weed wacker/weedeater. All I plan to "wack" is the grass near the house that the tractor doesn't mow. Like along edging, That 1/2" strip the tractor mowing deck doesn't cut. No heavy weeds/brush/etc

Maybe Black & Decker 40V currently on sale for $139 at Menards.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Well I haven't used one but my buddy and I bought the ryobi cordless drill and inpact driver kit Home Depot had on sale for $99. Love them light and they work great. My buddy also bought their weed eater that will accept the same battery and he said it works great. His wife wanted something light to use around his house while he mows and it works good, also keeps same batteries for everything instead of having different batteries and chargers for all his cordless tools. He has a gas trimmer that he uses for the heaver work.

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
Stihl make a cordless string trimmer, but it's a lot more expensive than the ones being mentioned here.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
I bought a "Core" ( recently bought out by MTD :banghead:) trimmer a couple years ago & like it for grass trimming. If I were buying one now, it would be Oregon, using the same battery as my 14" chainsaw.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
I don't know which one I'd buy if I were buying one but everyone I talk with that has one, likes them.
I have notice pricing on some units does not include the battery.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
I don't know which one I'd buy if I were buying one but everyone I talk with that has one, likes them.
The better ones are expensive, as usual! My Core lasts an hour or more on two batteries at low speed (two speed). That's as long as I want to run one anyway! The 4ah batteries on my Oregon chainsaw last a couple hours of intermittent cutting (cutting small trees with time to treat the stumps & pile the brush). Again, this is all I want of that kind of work in one day!

The Oregon batteries will fit the Oregon chainsaw, trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer & blower. Smaller batteries are available, but I prefer the 4ah.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
Talked a little about this in "OFF TOPIC" I decided to start a new thread. I don't want to mess with a gas trimmer or dragging an extension cord around, so recommend a cordless string trimmer/weed wacker/weedeater. All I plan to "wack" is the grass near the house that the tractor doesn't mow. Like along edging, That 1/2" strip the tractor mowing deck doesn't cut. No heavy weeds/brush/etc

After having various gas powered trimmers for the past 30 years I finally ditched them all and bought one of the B&D 40V trimmers. I've been using it all this summer and couldn't be happier. It is very light and I can trim my entire property and still have 1 of 4 bars remaining on the battery gauge. The telescoping main section is great for adjusting the length for comfort. I was worried that the small string spools wouldn't last long but so far I am on my original spool.

I assumed the variable speed feature advertised by B&D would turn out to be another gimmick but not so. I can turn the speed down to 1 or 2 for delicate trimming and then crank it up to 5 or so for thick weeds. This all helps to conserve the battery. I have a B&D 40V cordless hedge trimmer which helped with the initial decision.

If mine burned up tomorrow I would buy another one. I've since given away all my old gas trimmers.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
That's to save you money if you already own another tool with the same battery. The B&D unit is $140 w/ battery and $97 without.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a B&D 20 volt trimmer and blower and am very happy with them. At least I was until I just found out they have a 40 volt one available.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
I bought a B&D 20 volt trimmer and blower and am very happy with them. At least I was until I just found out they have a 40 volt one available.
When I bought my hedge trimmer it was advertised as 36V and they later changed it to 40V, which is a different battery - same tool and charger.

I have the B&D pole hedge trimmer in 20V. It is a toy compared to the two 40V tools I have. I truly believe the 40V trimmer would cut the 20V trimmer in half. :)

I really wish they would update the pole trimmer and pole chain saw and go to the 40V system. Especially the pole saw.

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seen a couple of places the 40V is really 36 volt and backward compatible in 36V tools. I am guessing Marketing decided 40V sounds cooler than 36V.

All my other cordless tools are 18V DeWalt. About 15 years old. The big deal back then, when the other choices were 12V or 14.4V

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I haven't used one but my buddy and I bought the ryobi cordless drill and inpact driver kit Home Depot had on sale for $99. Love them light and they work great. My buddy also bought their weed eater that will accept the same battery and he said it works great. His wife wanted something light to use around his house while he mows and it works good, also keeps same batteries for everything instead of having different batteries and chargers for all his cordless tools. He has a gas trimmer that he uses for the heaver work.
Can you find out the model of the Ryobi?

·
Registered
4,472 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts

I have a Ryobi 40V. I bought it last summer. I love it!!! It has plenty of battery power. The heads also interchange. I just bought the pole saw last month and it works very well. You can add a tiller, edger, and seeveral other attachments that change with the push of a button. I also just bought a 14" Ryobi 40v chainsaw. I haven't used it much but it so far has met my expectations.

The link below is the one I have. This one runs $169.
http://http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-40-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Attachment-Capable-String-Trimmer-RY40220/204589659

This does not have interchangeable heads and runs $139
Ryobi 40-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer/Edger-RY40210A - The Home Depot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts