Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'tis the season for corn on the cob,,,
I ain't saying the wife is impatient,, but, she has the picnic table set,, waiting for the corn to grow,,

Just kidding,, we read about the method of heating corn in the oven,, rather than hot water.

The oven method is perfect!!
Pull the ears off the stalk, leave the husks on.
Preheat the oven to 355 degrees,, throw in a dozen ears for 17 minutes.

THEN,, I cut off the top and bottom with a serrated bread knife.

The heat makes the silks fall right off as you remove the husks.
no muscles needed,, since the bottom is cut, the husks literally fall off.

There is no need to remove the husks until you eat it,, the corn is perfectly fresh.

(NOTE: if you are civilized,, and eat indoors,,
yea, you can remove the husks while the corn is in the kitchen)

So, the advantages to us are:
No boiling water, the house stays cooler,,,
FAR less labor,,
this is the freshest corn prep method we have EVER tried,,,

Give Oven Corn a try!!

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
We use a process very similar except we put the ears in the microwave instead of the oven.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I plan on smoking some as soon as we get some more. Have never done that. It would be similar to your oven cooking.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
I do it that way on the grill, expect I soak it in water first-it "steams" itself that way and is very good. Sometimes I'll add a beer to the water for a little extra flavor.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I do the same method on the grill except I will now have to try the beer method. I usually add it to my mouth for flavor but maybe the corn needs bit as well....

I do it that way on the grill, expect I soak it in water first-it "steams" itself that way and is very good. Sometimes I'll add a beer to the water for a little extra flavor.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Might have to try the oven method when our corn is ready. We usually have way more than we can eat fresh and freeze them on the ears. When needed, no boiling water needed, just toss on the grill. As the cob thaws it steams itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I cook mine Sous Vide one hour at 185 in a vacuum bag with butter in with it and the butter in fuses into the corn. The Best.:good2:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Most have done some thing wrong

BOUGHT one dozen corn ears pre heated oven to 355 degrees all in oven for 17 minutes
results corn less then half cooked husks had to be peeled off and silk stayed
put through microwave as above 4 min per ear
results comply cooked corn cob slide off no silk stayed
View attachment 432754

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
I cook mine Sous Vide one hour at 185 in a vacuum bag with butter in with it and the butter in fuses into the corn. The Best.:good2:
Huh? you use tongs and aluminum foil????
Grill for us, no oven or interior heat at all...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts