Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Have a compact series. Has anyone ever ran a one row corn picker with a compact? Has anyone ever used any of the small pickers that are shown on alibaba? We have a couple acres that we hand pick and am looking to speed up the process.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
welcome!!!!

what model do you have?

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
LBT, I moved the thread to a more appropriate form. You'll get better exposure here to answer your question.

Welcome to GTT. Please start an introduction thread just to say HI.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The corn pickers I have been around needed the mass of the tractor to stabilize the picker,
and make everything stay greasy side down on a grade,,, :dunno:

The last picker we used was pulled by a JD 4010,, the rear tires measured 8 1/2 feet wide,,,

I know it was over 8 feet,
because it would scare me to death to haul it on an F800 Ford that had an 8 foot wide bed.

With some of the tires hanging off,,,
you were SURE the tractor was moving sideways when you went around a corner,,,:flag_of_truce:

:laugh:

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
New to the forum. Have a compact series. Has anyone ever ran a one row corn picker with a compact? Has anyone ever used any of the small pickers that are shown on alibaba? We have a couple acres that we hand pick and am looking to speed up the process.
we i should say grandparents on both sides only had a 1 row picker, one was pulled along, and the other i think mounted to the b at the time. i can't remeber that much corn picking that way. my other grand pap put his corn to the silo. here's where i got to drive the tractor and wagon as uncles walked along the side and cut the corn and piled it on the wagon, all the while i was driving-ha!!

what is this alibaba u talk about-:dunno:thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not looking to attach a large wagon or anything. Was planning on just hooking a 4x8 small trailer and unloading as needed. I had seen some small pickers on alibaba from China but a bit worried about part availability. I was told by a local used equipment dealer that I would have plenty of pep to run a one row with pto hp that I have. Seems like a technology that hasn't been revived for some time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You should hunt up a website called "The Corn Picker Forum". Guys there pick up serviceable pickers for $100 to $300. You need a one row pull type that would run off the 540 rpm rear PTO. The wagon elevator reaches back and is 9-10 feet or more in the air to unload into a 6'x10-12 ft long wagon. To elevate into a 4'x8' cart may be difficult, the ears may fly right over your cart!

You probably have enough HP to run a picker, they don't pull that hard, but to pull the picker and a cart/wagon through a field, even a flat level field, you better have dry ground for good footing even with 4wd. Your tractor is much lighter than the tractors used to pull pickers back in the '50's & '60's. Dad used his '51 FARMALL M to pull a 1-row Wood Bros. Pull type picker he converted into a "snapper" by removing the husking bed that removed the husks off the ears. It was fine for picking sweet corn or corn to feed the hogs, but you don't want all the husks in a crib with ear corn. A FARMALL H could have easily pulled the picker, which was about 27 PTO HP and 4500#. The wagon we picked into could hold up to 100 bushel.

You should look for brands like International Harvester, New Idea, Deere, Wood Brothers, Dearborn, and the other big implement co's from the '50's & '60's, Case, Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline, Ford, Even Allis Chalmers, for a 1-row pull type picker. One row pull type pickers were popular in the 30's & 40's, but 2-row mounted pickers made them obsolete in the '40's. All companies stopped building them in the '60's, so your looking for a 65+/- year old machine. There's plenty of videos of pickers picking corn, search for "Half Century of Progress corn picking" and get comfortable for several hours of watching.

Nice thing about one row pickers is you don't have to match the row width of the picker to your planter. You can pick 20, 24, 30, 32, 36, 38 40, 42 inch rows, or any width you want as long as the rows aren't too close.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
You should hunt up a website called "The Corn Picker Forum". Guys there pick up serviceable pickers for $100 to $300. You need a one row pull type that would run off the 540 rpm rear PTO. The wagon elevator reaches back and is 9-10 feet or more in the air to unload into a 6'x10-12 ft long wagon. To elevate into a 4'x8' cart may be difficult, the ears may fly right over your cart!

You probably have enough HP to run a picker, they don't pull that hard, but to pull the picker and a cart/wagon through a field, even a flat level field, you better have dry ground for good footing even with 4wd. Your tractor is much lighter than the tractors used to pull pickers back in the '50's & '60's. Dad used his '51 FARMALL M to pull a 1-row Wood Bros. Pull type picker he converted into a "snapper" by removing the husking bed that removed the husks off the ears. It was fine for picking sweet corn or corn to feed the hogs, but you don't want all the husks in a crib with ear corn. A FARMALL H could have easily pulled the picker, which was about 27 PTO HP and 4500#. The wagon we picked into could hold up to 100 bushel.

You should look for brands like International Harvester, New Idea, Deere, Wood Brothers, Dearborn, and the other big implement co's from the '50's & '60's, Case, Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline, Ford, Even Allis Chalmers, for a 1-row pull type picker. One row pull type pickers were popular in the 30's & 40's, but 2-row mounted pickers made them obsolete in the '40's. All companies stopped building them in the '60's, so your looking for a 65+/- year old machine. There's plenty of videos of pickers picking corn, search for "Half Century of Progress corn picking" and get comfortable for several hours of watching.

Nice thing about one row pickers is you don't have to match the row width of the picker to your planter. You can pick 20, 24, 30, 32, 36, 38 40, 42 inch rows, or any width you want as long as the rows aren't too close.
POWERSTROKE--very good post, my pap on mothers side used a jd B to pull his 1 row international corn picker, he also had a corn cutter that made (? can't think of right word here) it made bundles of cornstalks tied with bindertwine, and dropped them in the field, then u walked thru the field and stood the bundles together. then u waited for the corn to dry better, then u brought all the corn to the barn, and hand husked it, with a tool that u wore on one hand-yeah i remember them days-good time sitting in the barn, husking corn with ur granddad:bigthumb:

·
Registered
754 Posts
You piled bundles together to make "Shocks" of corn. That was about a generation or two before my time. Dad had a husking hook that was brand new the fall he went into the Army right after the start of WW II. It was a leather glove with a bent piece of steel across the palm that looked like a bent church key to get under the husks and pull them off. Around home before mechanical corn pickers corn was picked by hand and tossed into wagons pulled by a team of horses. The goal was to keep at least two ears in the air and one in hand all the way across the field. The team would match your pace across the field, no driver needed.

The only time International Harvester Binders were used to make bundles & shocks was when corn was chopped to make silage. The shocks were hauled to the barn or silo and chopped then blown into the barn or silo. Today the neighborhood's big time operator has a self propelled chopper that chops 6 or 8 rows at a time. Takes a fleet of tandem axle trucks & semi's hauling away the 4-5 miles to keep the chopper running.

My brother-in-law's Dad used to feed a load or two of beef cattle every year. He had a 16' diameter by 40 ft tall silo. His 2-cylinder tractors were not kind to equipment so the neighbor with his 560 FARMALL chopped corn, Dad's '51 FARMALL M ran the silo blower, and the guy hauled in with his Allis WD-45. About 1964/'65 he quit feeding cattle and just raised hogs.

Farming used to be a heck of a lot of hard manual labor!

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
2038r and New Idea 323 picker = CompactHarvest2018

Words will come later. Time to eat:good2:

Beef roast. Mmmmm.

Picked ear corn today. No problems, everything worked perfect. It has been wet here lately but for those asking above about pulling these it was soft enough for the picker and wagon to sink an inch but not wet enough for much to stick to the tires. We never put it in 4 wheel and never had an issue pulling it. :good2: It actually is a great tractor for this because the hydro makes it so simple. The Wd doesn’t have power steering and if you forget to use the hand clutch the foot clutch stops the pto and when everything is full it is clog city if you stop it. So far I have ran the picker for a total of 3 short rows over the last 3 years, my son runs it typically. It is a little different than what he is used to.:laugh:

I used my sons WD (was my grandpa’s) to park it down at Dads and let it pose for a photo. That field is a half mile long and with today’s yields you can go 1 mph with this 1966 picker. What a daunting task that would be to work 8 hours and get 16 rows done.:cry:

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I need to make some labels but wanted some different tractors. Got to do some mowing and then got really, really good at hooking up to the corn picker. Unfortunately no IH’s today. Dad was good enough to be the operator but I quote. The super C has something hooked up to it. The M is at the other place. The 806 is too big and the 454 is a loader, it ain’t no picker tractor.:laugh:

Of everything out there the 2038r or Wd are still my favorite choices to run it.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
I need to make some labels but wanted some different tractors. Got to do some mowing and then got really, really good at hooking up to the corn picker. Unfortunately no IH’s today. Dad was good enough to be the operator but I quote. The super C has something hooked up to it. The M is at the other place. The 806 is too big and the 454 is a loader, it ain’t no picker tractor.:laugh:

Of everything out there the 2038r or Wd are still my favorite choices to run it.
You have quite a collection, Herm. Nice looking machines.

·
Premium Member
13,872 Posts

My FIL and I have been looking at used New Idea pickers, as much corn as we ate, put in the freezer and let all the neighbors pick this summer there was still a LOT of corn in the field when I cut it down. Now that we have chickens we started coming up with ideas, but we haven't found any pickers around here.

Love the pics :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
You have quite a collection, Herm. Nice looking machines.
Thank you. That is how my retired father stays active. Fixing them up.

My FIL and I have been looking at used New Idea pickers, as much corn as we ate, put in the freezer and let all the neighbors pick this summer there was still a LOT of corn in the field when I cut it down. Now that we have chickens we started coming up with ideas, but we haven't found any pickers around here.

Love the pics :thumbup1gif:
I am surprised. I see a couple a year on Craigslist around here. There is a guy in Green Bay that specializes in parts for them but he like to sell them in the Carolina’s they bring double what they do here.:dunno:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Herminator,

Whoever was behind the wheel of the "R" looked like he was stylin' :bigthumb:

Dave

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
No R. It’s a 70 or the B. Just noticed Dad somehow went invisible on the Oliver.:dunno:

He was told to look like he was picking. Looks like he thought he was in a parade. Dad’s have no respect for the director sometimes.:laugh:

Reactions: bama1025r
1 - 19 of 19 Posts