Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder why I'm pleasantly plump and built for comfort not speed.
7 for dinner...Corned Beef and Cabbage

3 packages of corned beef, one point cut 2 flat cuts
5 lbs of potatoes
5 large Vidalia onions
3 heads of cabbage
2 bags of baby carrots
A boat load of garlic cloves
Green beer

Good night all.:lol:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Give a few more details about the cooking, and we'll add it to the GTT Cookbook thread!

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Wonder why I'm pleasantly plump and built for comfort not speed.
7 for dinner...Corned Beef and Cabbage

3 packages of corned beef, one point cut 2 flat cuts
5 lbs of potatoes
5 large Vidalia onions
3 heads of cabbage
2 bags of baby carrots
A boat load of garlic cloves
Green beer

Good night all.:lol:
Did you mean "70" for dinner?

·
Registered
206 Posts
There is a farmer that also works at our company (he actually recommended I look at Green before Orange tractors, but that's another story)...

Anyway, every year for our company (for 30+ years) he used to cook Corned beef and Cabbage, with red potatoes and bread... for all 100+ of our employees, day and night shift. He stopped doing it when we brought our sister company next door... I think he felt like he'd have to do it for both companies. The president used to front him the $$ to do it as long as he wanted to continue to do it.

I miss it, but he's in his 70s now, still works for us, but I know it was a LOT of work for him, especially while still tending his farm at home, and working 4 days a week.

I can still smell it though, even as you wrote about it. Great tradition. I guess I'm going to have to cook some up myself (wife and I aren't Irish, but no reason I can't be for the day!). If I can figure it out maybe he can tell me his secrets and I can bring back the tradition.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a farmer that also works at our company (he actually recommended I look at Green before Orange tractors, but that's another story)...

Anyway, every year for our company (for 30+ years) he used to cook Corned beef and Cabbage, with red potatoes and bread... for all 100+ of our employees, day and night shift. He stopped doing it when we brought our sister company next door... I think he felt like he'd have to do it for both companies. The president used to front him the $$ to do it as long as he wanted to continue to do it.

I miss it, but he's in his 70s now, still works for us, but I know it was a LOT of work for him, especially while still tending his farm at home, and working 4 days a week.

I can still smell it though, even as you wrote about it. Great tradition. I guess I'm going to have to cook some up myself (wife and I aren't Irish, but no reason I can't be for the day!). If I can figure it out maybe he can tell me his secrets and I can bring back the tradition.
There are a lot of people out there that don't like corned beef, I ain't one of them.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Giz, where did you get Vidalia's this time of year?

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I'm the only one who eats it here, so since the wife is subbing the next three days, tomorrow I'll fix a point cut with cabbage, tators & carrots. That should take care of my dinner (noon meal for those citified folk) for those three days! ~~ Lowell

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Giz, where did you get Vidalia's this time of year?
I think they are really just a sweet onions with a Vidalia sticker on them.:lol:
I could eat an onion sandwich with the real Vidalia.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having 2 Point Cuts and 1 Flat Cut this year. :eating:

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Wife won't eat it, so I picked up 2-point cuts & a small head of cabbage this morning. One of the points is in the freezer for later, the other one will be cooked on a day she's teaching!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Here's the added cooking instructions:

Throw contents in large pot of water, boil for 2 hours and serve hot!!!

...as to the Vidalia Onions? No fecking Irishman worth a damn would throw onions into Corned Beef and Cabbage! But as CB&C is predominantly an American invention, who the hell cares? I think we might try the onions this year, or so says I, and I have my wifes permission to say so!

If you like CB&C, then try Calcannon some time!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wife won't eat it, so I picked up 2-point cuts & a small head of cabbage this morning. One of the points is in the freezer for later, the other one will be cooked on a day she's teaching!
There is always corned beef hash!

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Ms. Superglidesport always makes a great corned beef and cabbage dinner to commemorate her late father's birthday which was St. Patrick's Day! Don was a very soft spoken gentleman who was an amazing woodworker and craftsman! His favorite was CB&C. He used to raise hell when I'd sprinkle some malt vinegar over my dinner. He just couldn't understand why anyone would do that to his favorite dish?? I like it.

:dunno:

·
8,558 Posts
Y'all can have my share of the corned beef. I never acquired a taste for that. I'll cook brisket in many different ways, but that ain't one of them!! :flag_of_truce:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ms. Superglidesport always makes a great corned beef and cabbage dinner to commemorate her late father's birthday which was St. Patrick's Day! Don was a very soft spoken gentleman who was an amazing woodworker and craftsman! His favorite was CC&B. He used to raise hell when I'd sprinkle some malt vinegar over my dinner. He just couldn't understand why anyone would do that to his favorite dish?? I like it.

:dunno:
My wife and one daughter use vinegar on the cabbage.
I use ketchup on my cooked cabbage, cause I like it. :lol:

·
8,558 Posts
My wife and one daughter use vinegar on the cabbage.
I use ketchup on my cooked cabbage, cause I like it. :lol:
The theory is that the vinegar on the cabbage decreases the gas caused by it. :mocking:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
The theory is that the vinegar on the cabbage decreases the gas caused by it. :mocking:
Let me tell you about vinegar. It's a wonder drug as far as I'm concerned and I like the taste. I use it on French fries and CB&C. The only other drug I use is Aleve. I don't use prescription drugs and rarely see a doctor. Vinegar works and that's as far as I'm going to go on this subject.

:thumbup1gif:

·
8,558 Posts
I take a couple of jiggers of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar before bed, each evening. It helps with many things, not just side effects of cabbage!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts