Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going through my new to me 1025r and noticed the end of this ram was rusty. It works fine and my thought is to scrape it clean and hit it with some touch up paint. Not having any experience with hydraulics, I thought I'd ask. Any problems with doing this?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
No problem at all...
Do you keep your machine outside?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
before you wire brush / sand / paint the cylinder, just make sure the ram is retracted into it as far as it can go to avoid any damage or paint on the chrome surface that passes through the seals. it looks like it might have been exposed to some road salt? after it's painted you could spray on some fluid film for protection from corrosion

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
or, you could just cover the ram in masking tape

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
No problem cleaning the rust and painting the cylinder end. Protect the rod using masking or duct tape. Wire wheel or brush the rust and scuff the paint surrounding the corroded area with a scotchbrite pad. Clean well with alcohol or mineral spirits. Apply some primer and then some Blitz Black and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem at all...
Do you keep your machine outside?
I will be. Right now it is on a covered porch and is staying fairly dry. One of the projects in the medium future is a pole barn. No salt air or salt roads here though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm going through my new to me 1025r and noticed the end of this ram was rusty. It works fine and my thought is to scrape it clean and hit it with some touch up paint. Not having any experience with hydraulics, I thought I'd ask. Any problems with doing this?

Thanks
Just don't paint the shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts