Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 X580 48A deck & 44 snowblower
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a nice used X580 and it came with the 44” snowblower which is fine. We do live in a high snow area here in Canada and I’m wondering in the long term if I’d be better to see about trading up to the 47 blower. I Have the hydraulic lift to make it work well anyhow. Does anyone know the approx cost difference between the two blowers at new? I know mine is depreciated a bit but trying to get a guess at what it may cost to trade up and if it’s even worth asking for a dealer quote. If it’s a huge spread at new I’ll know it’s likely more than Ill want to pay to trade up now. I’ve never seen the 47 in person but in pictures it looks a fair bit more substantial for sure. I’m sure it’s been covered but any recommendations between the 2 blowers one way or the other? It looks like the hitch and all that’s the same I’d just need to trade blower for blowe?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I cannot comment on the 44" blower which I assume is 2 stage because you said blower and not thrower. I had the 47" but 48" cut 2 stage for my 332 which I bought new in '95 or so along w/ the Quick-Tach hitch and will admit she was beefy and required 6 suitcase weights in back, 75# wheel weights and chains. She was one hellofa piece of equipment. Now have a X758 and 54" blower and it's built pretty much like the old one I had. I like how it's wider than the tractor as I orig was going to get another 48" blower if I had done things differently------glad I didn't. One thing I can say is just compare Deere's blowers to any of it's competition and it becomes pretty apparent, Deere's are well built. Not saying they don't make cheap ones, but when it comes to the 47/54 blowers, they are pretty stout at least in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I recently purchased a nice used X580 and it came with the 44” snowblower which is fine. We do live in a high snow area here in Canada and I’m wondering in the long term if I’d be better to see about trading up to the 47 blower. I Have the hydraulic lift to make it work well anyhow. Does anyone know the approx cost difference between the two blowers at new? I know mine is depreciated a bit but trying to get a guess at what it may cost to trade up and if it’s even worth asking for a dealer quote. If it’s a huge spread at new I’ll know it’s likely more than Ill want to pay to trade up now. I’ve never seen the 47 in person but in pictures it looks a fair bit more substantial for sure. I’m sure it’s been covered but any recommendations between the 2 blowers one way or the other? It looks like the hitch and all that’s the same I’d just need to trade blower for blowe?
Actually the 47/54 Blower You Know the reason they went tom Poly Impellers was the Housing was Made thinner around the 2nd stage augur compared to Previous 47 Blower That were first available for the X400 thru early X700 Ultimate series That had Metal Impellers.

The 47inch Blower for the X500 series cost $210.00 USD more then the 44inch Blower. The Price of the 47inch is $1,849.00 USD before Tax and Yes You would Just need to trade Blower for Blower In order for the 47inch to work on your X580 (y)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Going to the 47" probably makes alot of sense. Keep in mind, the existing 44" is used, in unknown condition. Even if it's in top shape, the dealer is surely not going to swap a new 47" for a used 44" for less than $500 to $700, maybe more. They might be able to sell the used 44" for $1,200 to $1,300 if in great shape, so to make a few bucks, they obviously have to offer you less than that.

I'd say it's definitely worth getting a quote, but you might be better off selling it privately.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Going to the 47" probably makes alot of sense. Keep in mind, the existing 44" is used, in unknown condition. Even if it's in top shape, the dealer is surely not going to swap a new 47" for a used 44" for less than $500 to $700, maybe more. They might be able to sell the used 44" for $1,200 to $1,300 if in great shape, so to make a few bucks, they obviously have to offer you less than that.

I'd say it's definitely worth getting a quote, but you might be better off selling it privately.
I had a 47" snowblower for 18 years. Worked great. Traded my tractor and attachments for a new 1025r and attachments. Love the 1025r.

rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a 47" snowblower for 18 years. Worked great. Traded my tractor and attachments for a new 1025r and attachments. Love the 1025r.

rob
I would not say the x500 series 44" and 47" snowblowers are great, as they have some rather eye opening design flaws, particularly with the belt routing, durability, etc. But if you don't push them too hard, they can last a very long time. They are not under any circumstances anywhere near as durable and reliable as the old single stages by a very long shot.

I will say that pertaining to the OP's question, based on his region, he should absolutely be using the 47". Depending on exactly where in CAN he is, the entire x580/47" combo might very well be too small for the job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info everyone. I’ll check it out, even converted to Canadian dollars they are closer in msrp than I may have thought. Plus used 44” listed private seem to sell pretty strong. So may not be a huge dollar upgrade if I play it right. I bought the package with 50hrs and the 44 blower has very little use so should have decent resale. Our new place will have a flat paved drive. Its about 90’ long, triple wide with a turn around area too. Not huge really but here in Ontario we do get our share of snow. I’m not retired so don’t have all day to clear it... 44” will do it I’m sure but I’m fussy and want the best option. This new place is a 1.25 acre property overall with about an acre of rolling lawn too The x580 seems like an overall good size for the
73A26BAD-BA31-4CAA-9E92-9657E8766D9A.jpeg
lawn and driveway I think. If not can always look at a bigger tractor too. Are there any notable upgrades in main components on the 47” or is it just larger and heavier built?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone. I’ll check it out, even converted to Canadian dollars they are closer in msrp than I may have thought. Plus used 44” listed private seem to sell pretty strong. So may not be a huge dollar upgrade if I play it right. I bought the package with 50hrs and the 44 blower has very little use so should have decent resale. Our new place will have a flat paved drive. Its about 90’ long, triple wide with a turn around area too. Not huge really but here in Ontario we do get our share of snow. I’m not retired so don’t have all day to clear it... 44” will do it I’m sure but I’m fussy and want the best option. This new place is a 1.25 acre property overall with about an acre of rolling lawn too The x580 seems like an overall good size for the View attachment 781983 lawn and driveway I think. If not can always look at a bigger tractor too. Are there any notable upgrades in main components on the 47” or is it just larger and heavier built?
Back In 2016 the wife and I Bought a Used X540 with a 42inch deck for some friends of Ours the Husband Bought a 44inch Blower for it and it Handel's the snow rather well Hasn't really run into any issues clearing snow with it They Have about 2/3 of a acre He clears his driveway Plus the sidewalk down to the school and several other Neighbors He went with a 44inch for Off season storage. The 3 extra inches of Clearing width really is not going to Make that Much difference In time spent Blowing snow with a X500 series. So I think You would be fine with Just staying with the 44inch. Bigger is not always better is what I have found through years and years of Garden tractor ownership (y)

Reactions: Jaybert

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd agree that the width isn't the biggest benefit, but the housing is 2" taller on the 47" which makes a big difference with big snow falls. That said, the other area that the 47" helps with is clearing a wider path to back out of. Fwiw, it doesn't take all that much snow to catch and bury the front tires in heavy snow, so that added clearing width is helpful when maneuvering.

The good news is, that 44" looks virtually like new so you should get top dollar!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone It sounds like I can’t loose either way. I’ll ask next time I talk to the dealer just out of curiosity. Seasonally it’s not something to worry about for a bit now but it’s always fun to look around and think about it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts