Green Tractor Talk banner

Cost for 44” vs 47” snowblower

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Jaybert 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a nice used X580 and it came with the 44” snowblower which is fine. We do live in a high snow area here in Canada and I’m wondering in the long term if I’d be better to see about trading up to the 47 blower. I Have the hydraulic lift to make it work well anyhow. Does anyone know the approx cost difference between the two blowers at new? I know mine is depreciated a bit but trying to get a guess at what it may cost to trade up and if it’s even worth asking for a dealer quote. If it’s a huge spread at new I’ll know it’s likely more than Ill want to pay to trade up now. I’ve never seen the 47 in person but in pictures it looks a fair bit more substantial for sure. I’m sure it’s been covered but any recommendations between the 2 blowers one way or the other? It looks like the hitch and all that’s the same I’d just need to trade blower for blowe?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone. I’ll check it out, even converted to Canadian dollars they are closer in msrp than I may have thought. Plus used 44” listed private seem to sell pretty strong. So may not be a huge dollar upgrade if I play it right. I bought the package with 50hrs and the 44 blower has very little use so should have decent resale. Our new place will have a flat paved drive. Its about 90’ long, triple wide with a turn around area too. Not huge really but here in Ontario we do get our share of snow. I’m not retired so don’t have all day to clear it... 44” will do it I’m sure but I’m fussy and want the best option. This new place is a 1.25 acre property overall with about an acre of rolling lawn too The x580 seems like an overall good size for the
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
lawn and driveway I think. If not can always look at a bigger tractor too. Are there any notable upgrades in main components on the 47” or is it just larger and heavier built?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone It sounds like I can’t loose either way. I’ll ask next time I talk to the dealer just out of curiosity. Seasonally it’s not something to worry about for a bit now but it’s always fun to look around and think about it

Discussion starter · #11 ·
So revisiting this, I have now had the chance to move some snow with the X580 and 44 blower.
it works fine but I called the dealer today and ordered a 47” blower. It has to be ordered in from Deere so I’lll likely have it for next season which is fine, like I say the 44” does work fine for now. So my message would be get the 47”from the start if you have a choice.

The 44” feels small on the X580, it’s a bit awkward backing up and and cornering since it’s basically the exact width of the tractor, no extra. The x580 plays with the 44” really. We live in a pretty high snow area and I think the bigger blower will work better all around. Likely one reason it is recommended for this tractor.
No complaints though, this is my first tractor mounted blower I’ve owned and I really like it vs walking behind.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
The 47" blower has much more of a heavy-duty gearbox. It's twice the size of the 44" blower. I looked at them side by side in the dealer showroom. That said, the 44" is the only option for my X390. It works well for me, and we shall see how long it lasts. I do pick up some gravel at times, there is no way around it. Third year and I haven't broken a shear pin yet.

I think you made the correct decision to order the 47" for your X580, it was made to handle the 47" easily. A couple hundred bucks more is well worth it for the heavy-duty unit in my humble opinion. It should have been on there from the get-go.
Thanks, I agree it looks heavier duty and I think the extra fan and auger size will help my conditions too. While there is nothing at all wrong with the tractor or blower combination as it is, I think this slight upgrade will take it from a good set up to a great one. Also we left our new driveway to settle for a winter before paving in the spring. So have been chuckin some gravel this year. Will be nice to start fresh next winter on blacktop with a nice new blower. It’s kind of a want as much as a need for me, I’m not cool enough for a Harley to tinker with so I constantly fuss with improving my tractor instead I guess!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.