1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
I heard a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from local farmers when Walmart started doing the same thing with milk products. Maybe this is the future of food? Looks like the bigger retailers have all decided that their "edge" is to own the supply chain from end to end.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you've ever been to Costco and witnessed the frenzy when the chickens come out of the oven then this make total sense. I saw it once and it still haunts me. :laugh:

·
Registered
117 Posts
When do they come out? I want to watch!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
No idea. We happened to be there and there were no chickens to be sold. All 8 ovens were cooking birds and once you figured out how to read the panel you can figure out when they will be done. About 30 mins before the first oven was done a line started to form. By the time they started packaging the cooked birds there were enough people there that as fast as those birds hit the shelf, they were gone. I just laughed as the wife darted to the counter and came out with 2 chickens. :mocking:

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
That's pretty funny.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Maybe this is the future of food?
I sure hope not. I would like to see the supply chain go back to smaller local producers.
Unfortunately that presents some challenges for the large urban areas.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
They are trying to build an egg operation a couple of townships with over 2.4 million egg laying hens at a time. Only problem is they bought the land got all the environmental permits but can’t get trucks to it. All of the roads in are over a 90 degree turn if it out we’re coming in from the interstate or trying to get back out. All of the other roads are county and would need several bridges replaced and an ok to run 53ft 102 trailers.

No transportation plan no building permit. They have been working on it for two years. All of the eggs are for Mc D’s

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
I heard a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from local farmers when Walmart started doing the same thing with milk products. Maybe this is the future of food? Looks like the bigger retailers have all decided that their "edge" is to own the supply chain from end to end.
Cooperate america is destroying the farmer, someday people will understand when a gallon of milk cost $15, and our politicians do absolutely nothing to help.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I sure hope not. I would like to see the supply chain go back to smaller local producers.
Arlen--when i was a kid, everyone around here milked, maybe only a few cows, but still sold milk. then came them having to whitewash their barns, so some quit milking, then came the tanks they had to install in the milk house. before the tanks--it was the cans that we poured the milk into. my one pap quit when u had to build that milk house, beside the barn, and install the tank.
now fast forward 50 yrs, and there is no one--i mean no one milking around here any more. at least in my general area. sad-i say.

the chicken farms moved in here-15 yrs ago. first one, then 2, then 4. these eggs are supposed to go to Lancaster, Pa., and are shipped overseas----for medical experiments, now that was the first barn full. what the rest are for-:dunno:i have no idea.

they built these barns right beside my old town, i mean right beside it--boy am i glad we moved, cause in July-on a 100* day, it stinks. the township had no zones in place to prevent them, i don't know if they paid to bond the roads or not. i'm in a different township now-so................

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
We raise all our own Eggs, Meat and most of out Vegetables out of the garden. We freeze most of it and can some our eggs taste so much better then the stores and our bacon also is better. We know what goes in our meat and the hamburger is like steak burger!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I live in Nebraska, about 30 miles from the chicken production facility. Costo is planning to contract with 500+ farmers in Nebraska and western Iowa to produce chickens for the plant.

Some smaller towns are weary and trying to limit chicken farms, but overall this is seen as a boost to the small town economy's. ConAgra used to have their corporate HQ in Omaha, but they recently moved. They have a HUGE plant about 30 miles north and turn corn in to pretty much everything - high-fructose corn syrup, plastics, chemicals, etc. I'm told they do a lot of research there as well.

In this part of Nebraska and Iowa, corn is king. Makes complete sense for Costo to build their plant here...land/corn/farmers/cheap-labor/central location in the US. I'm guessing land is pretty cheap when compared to the coasts.

Omaha metro area is almost a million people. Costo chicken plant doesn't get much press in town -- Mayor was on the radio yesterday talking about recent streak of 100 days without a homicide, some sort of record (she was also asking for more $$ for the police and fire pensions).

My wife has an egg-lady who gets us farm eggs, and I have a connection in Iowa for beef (need to find a pork connection). Venison fills my freezer this time of year, but for most everything else it's Costco / Walmart / HyVee for our supplies. We do like to hit the farmers market in the summer for local grown produce.

I have no problem with Costco setting up shop here in Nebraska. Hopefully the small local farmers will earn some $$$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts