Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back before the 4th of July, my son helped me clean-out the old fire pit we've been using the past 23 years. When that was finished, a better, more convenient spot was chosen off the back of our covered concrete patio. I laid out small Cottage Stone Landscape Blocks to form a natural ring, based on the size of the blocks, marked the circumference, and we began removing the sod. The soil and sod went to the previously cleaned out fire pit to put it back to a grass area. Once this was done, we laid out the Cottage Stone Blocks to form the new pit. It worked great for the 4th of July gathering.

This is what I had laid out for the time being.
Firepit_4ft.jpg
20180630_130036.jpg

A few days ago I was browsing OfferUp, and I found my holy grail. The ideal solution. A section of 5/16" wall x 36" diameter x 20" tall, Stainless Steel pipe that was already cut perfectly for a fire pit ring.
The seller (metal scrap guy) had it listed for $300 OBO. It was a 2-1/2 hour drive one way to get there, so I offered the seller $200. He accepted, I drove to get it. Some of you may think I'm nuts for driving such a long distance for a piece of pipe. Good assumption. Because finding something like what I got could easily sell for a grand. Finding a piece of stainless like what I got, is rare in my parts.

Anyway, here she be for the time being. It's off my truck. It's time for a beer.
20180722_124522.jpg

Now I'll be figuring dimensions for the concrete slab/sitting area around the ring, and a concrete pathway adjoining from our patio to the fire pit.
Plans are to have a stainless grill attached to a stainless rod, so it will rotate around over the fire for cooking.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Little update. The stainless ring is in place. I stoked it with a small amount of cardboard and dry wood. After the initial burn of the cardboard dissipated, the heat that was emitted from the ring was real nice and radiant to a moderate distance. Then comes the stainless grill. 2ft x 2ft expanded metal, and 3/8" stainless rod. That will be held to the side of the fire pit ring so it rotates on a 1" stainless shaft. I still need to make the two pieces that will allow rotation, and a stop-collar for height on the 1" shaft. All said and done, the grill will have a 90 degree upwards lip around the perimeter, to keep hotdogs and sausages from rolling off into the coals.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
You did good finding that stainless!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You did good finding that stainless!
These stainless rings put out a type of heat that I really can't describe. In otherwords, the heat is transferred by the ring. Not like open fire, or blaring hot coals that burn your skin. It's really awesome.
A day ago I went to the local recyclers in search of stainless bits & pieces. I found the 1" rod for the post and was about to walk away. Then I spotted two other "hard to finds" Commercial size washer and dryer tubs. Also stainless. They're approx 1/8" wall. The dryer tub is 34" diameter, the washer tub us is 36" diameter. Both about 30" in height. I grabbed them as well....for close friends (after they experience my fire pit) if they are wanting to build one for themselves.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
We made a grill out of stainless at work on one job we were on......it holds the heat big time and will last forever!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given your Avatar, I'd think you could come up with something comparable to mine, eh?

My efforts to get the grill done for this weekend (to slide over/rotate on the post) wasn't doable today. So I improvised.
I cut a piece of fence "T" post and notched it for the grill frame, so the grill stays put.
Just temporary. We got dogs and sausages to cook. And whiskey to drink whilst we relax around the fire this weekend.:bigbeer:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Thats nice! The radiant heat from the pipe should be really nice in the fall months. Have you considered re-doing the stones so that they hug the pipe?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats nice! The radiant heat from the pipe should be really nice in the fall months. Have you considered re-doing the stones so that they hug the pipe?
The Cottage Stones are definitely not staying. I'm still pondering aesthetics and what's available for brick or stone. The interior base currently has the Cottage Stone. That will be changed out to fire brick for longevity and ease of cleaning out the ash. Around the exterior radius (the air space), I'm considering leaving that gap. I may bore 6-8.. 1" holes spaced evenly in radius of the ring, about 10" up from the bottom. For draft. Then line the outer most radius of the gap with "thin" rolled stainless flashing....then fill the gap with Lava Rock for a natural low draw of air. This is just one of my ideas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The fire ring I made I used my plasma cutter and cut out leaf shapes. It works good for letting the fire breath and it looks neat at night:lol: I would love to get my paws on that stainless pipe you have LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night was the official christening...Ode To the Pit. The grill worked excellently after the Luminescence Seasoning. Stainless sure is pretty.
There was just one Brat committed to the coal bed the whole evening. Plenty of reminiscing around the ring as well.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cleaned up my scrap pile and found a residential (on top) stainless drum in the pile. I never did plan to use the small one, but kept it anyway when I scrapped our old washing machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last nights nice bed of coals for roasting Kolbasa.
Next week the grill goes to the weld shop to have a couple collars, and a nice coiled handle welded on for swinging the grill off the heat.
That will also eliminate the cross-support :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts