Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a road trip to Montana. While driving on interstate 90 through Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota I saw about a dozen new John Deere 9996 harvesters on flatbeds being delivered "somewhere". It took me a while to figure out that they were all cotton harvesters because I just couldn't understand where the heck they might be going to. I mean, what are cotton harvesters doing in the north? Or might they be being delivered to the west coast for export via a seaport in Oregon or Washington? My curiosity is killing me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
No cotton in the upper Midwest that I know of, so they were going "somewhere" else.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I haven't seen any cotton other than cotton balls at the pharmacy.

My guess is exporting to somewhere else as well. Or some farmer is gambling on this global warming thing in Alaska.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I just got back from a road trip to Montana. While driving on interstate 90 through Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota I saw about a dozen new John Deere 9996 harvesters on flatbeds being delivered "somewhere". It took me a while to figure out that they were all cotton harvesters because I just couldn't understand where the heck they might be going to. I mean, what are cotton harvesters doing in the north? Or might they be being delivered to the west coast for export via a seaport in Oregon or Washington? My curiosity is killing me.

That is a head scratcher...that model of cotton harvester is quite old now, the new version is the CP690 that replaced the 7760, the main difference between these and the ones you saw was the addition of the onboard accumulator.

The cotton harvesters and high clearance spray machines are made about 15 minutes away from me in the same plant. They run production of one for about 6 months then refit the factory to run the other.

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
Maybe to a port. The only cotton picker I ever saw was on the dock in Thessoliniki, Greece. Greece is also the only place I ever saw cotton growing in a field.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
That is a head scratcher....
My relative grew cotton WAY further north than cotton should grow,,

when the federal subsidy ended,,,, he sold all the equipment,,, :bigthumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts

That is a head scratcher...that model of cotton harvester is quite old now, the new version is the CP690 that replaced the 7760, the main difference between these and the ones you saw was the addition of the onboard accumulator.

The cotton harvesters and high clearance spray machines are made about 15 minutes away from me in the same plant. They run production of one for about 6 months then refit the factory to run the other.
You're right I didn't notice he said 9996 models. I know around here a lot of those old basket machines were getting sold to China as people started converting to module builder machines.
But doesn't make sense to ship them to a port via the northern part of the country.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Cotton in Virginia

My relative grew cotton WAY further north than cotton should grow,,

when the federal subsidy ended,,,, he sold all the equipment,,, :bigthumb:
I'm not sure who your relative is but I know the farm where it was claimed was the northern most cotton field in Virginia. It wasn't really a production field, just a small test field and was right on the edge of being able to grow cotton and definitely not a good economic decision. About 30 miles south of that field some farmers tried it for a few years before giving it up as a hard crop. The first year was good, second year was ok, third year was a bust but the equipment payments go on forever. . .

We still have cotton in Virginia but it's all down closer to the NC border. I can't imagine any growing in the upper midwest.

Treefarmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts