Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello EveryOne,
I have bought from second hand a lawner mower tractor. The seller said this is a John Deere tractor, but I have some doubt. I have found some number sticker, but it was painted. Finally I could remove the paint from sticker, but just one number is readable: 238 395 623 A.
I have some photos about this tractor. I thought there is someone in this forum who can recognize this tractor. Thank you four your help!
funyiro-traktor-john-deere-000.jpg
funyiro-traktor-john-deere-002.jpg
IMG_0943.JPG

·
Registered
309 Posts
The 138 at the beginning of the part number makes it look like an MTD Tradesman mower. My family had a few. Sears used to sell them over in the USA. Google the part number with lawn mower and you will find other MTD models starting with 138.

EDIT to add: It looks like the sticker says MTD Product Inc. The model number suggests 1988.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
I'm thinking it is a early MTD from 1970-74 :dunno:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
How much did you pay them for it?

If it's in decent shape and runs good you did alright whether or nor it's a Deere.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm thinking it is a early MTD from 1970-74 :dunno:

Looks like a counterfeit John Deere tractor. They forgot to paint the white wheels yellow when they painted that yellow tractor green. Slap on some JD stickers and you are good to go.

Was that serial number plate also painted over?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the answers. I research my tractor origin on MTD side, I hope I will find it. The price was acceptable, and it is working as well. My doubt is regarding if I need to replace any parts and I do not know my tractor type and serial. It is more easy to buy a part if I know the part's number. I need to disassemble it now and take it to the shop. It is not so cozy. Thanks again to Everyone.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
I moved this to the non-Deere forum, as it's not a Deere, but an off-brand tractor painted by a previous owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank EveryOne for suggestions and notices. It seems I could to identify my tractor, it seems this is a MTD 133-395A type. I guess after this the buying new parts will be more easier than now. Thanks again everything.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Thank EveryOne for suggestions and notices. It seems I could to identify my tractor, it seems this is a MTD 133-395A type. I guess after this the buying new parts will be more easier than now. Thanks again everything.
As soon as I saw the hood my first thought was MTD.. good luck with your lawn mower. My dad had one of those but it was painted red not yellow.. My brother figured out how to bypass the governor on that machine and was doing wheelies off one of our bankings in the yard until dad caught him!!!!! Then a good kick in the butt was forthcoming! and no more riding his lawn mower....!!!! Have fun.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Going by your model number 133-395A, I was able to find the owner manual online in PDF format. Comparing pictures in the manual to yours, appears to to be the correct one. Here is the PDF link:

MTD 133-395A Owner Manual

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Going by your model number 133-395A, I was able to find the owner manual online in PDF format. Comparing pictures in the manual to yours, appears to to be the correct one. Here is the PDF link:

MTD 133-395A Owner Manual
That is what I like about this forum. Ask a question and we figure it out and come up with a owners manual. Good Job guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts