Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Go over it with a fine tooth comb before using it.

I purchased a 6’ Country Way Tiller from Rural King in Leesburg FL. In October, 2020.

When I picked it up I was told the unit was all serviced and ready to use. When I checked it over after returning home I discovered several problems.

1 - The 3 point mount bolts were not tight.

2 - The side gearbox oil was over filled.

3 – The PTO gearbox was low on oil.

4 – The bolts on the driveshaft clutch were tightened down all the way.

5 - Both filler vents were stuck closed.

I tightened all the 3 point bolts. I also drilled and relocated the top bolt and installed a bushing so it fit my quick hitch. My left lift pin has come loose twice. I guess the vibration overcomes the lock nut?

I drained the side gearbox to the level hole and filled the PTO gearbox to half full per the manual.

I disassembled the driveshaft clutch and found it was rusted together and had condensation inside. After removing the bolts I had to tap it with a hammer to get it apart. I cleaned everything up and put it back together. I tightened all the nuts to be flush with the end of the bolt threads. It seemed to pull the tiller okay at this setting without slipping. Any looser and the nuts would not stay on. Any tighter and I fear it would not slip to protect the tractor. I ended up buying some 3/8”x3-1/2” bolts and lock nuts to replace the original clutch bolts.

I sprayed WD-40 in both filler vents and blew them open with compressed air.

During the initial test I discovered the rod attaching the rear flap had been installed incorrectly. It was not passed through the center guide hole and got caught in the tiller tines. I was able to get it out and straightened enough to get it back on and through all the holes as it should have been.

After the initial test I left the unit sitting until March of 2021. I had left it outside and the PTO gearbox oil was low and muddy with condensation contamination so I drained and refilled it with clean oil. Upon checking the side gearbox I discovered it was again overfilled. It appears the output seal is leaking oil from the PTO gearbox to the side gearbox.

I called the Leesburg service department, explained the oil leak problem, and asked about the warranty on the unit. I was told they would have to look into it and call me back. They never returned my call. After a few days I sent an email to RK customer support about the issue and again asked about the warranty terms. They replied and referred me to Sigma Powers who apparently supplied the tiller to RK. Sigma Powers initial reply just sent me a PDF of the manual which I already had and didn’t address the warranty question. I emailed them back and asked them to address the warranty and they replied asking what the unit and problem was. I had already supplied that information but I replied and repeated it. They sent me a follow up saying they would check with the factory and never got back to me. RK now states on their web site the unit only has a 30 day warranty.

At this point the PTO gearbox seems to hold oil to just under two inches deep. I hope it is touching the gears enough to circulate so it won’t burn up the gearing. The manual reads to fill it halfway full which would be 3 inches deep. When I fill it to 3 inches deep it drains out into the side gearbox and overfills it. The plan for now is to keep draining the side gearbox to level and keep refilling the PTO gearbox before each use.

The parts list in the supplied manual doesn’t list any part numbers or tell you where you can buy parts. I guess this is just an expensive throw away unit. RK showed some parts on their web site but listed them all as "out of stock".

Other than all that it is built heavy and tills fine. It might still be a good value as long as I don't need any parts. If I do I may be able to get them through Agri Supply. They list what looks like the same tiller with no name.

I haven't weighed it but Agri Supply lists what appears to be the same tiller at 665 lbs.

• Wow
Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
One other note. As long as your tractor lifts the tiller okay you could always remove the tines from the outer wheels to reduce the power consumption. I imagine the gear boxes are the same from the 4' through the 6'. The only difference would be the width of the frame and number of tines.

I would hang on to the 6' in case you upgrade your tractor in the future. I have several attachments I bought for my old 855 that are now too small for my 4310.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.