Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When parking the tractor for a minute or up to several minutes between tasks, is it best to leave the engine idling or shut it off? I generally shut it off unless it is a quick pause but the old timers used to say it is better for a diesel to leave it running pretty much all the time. I rarely work it real hard so it isn't getting hot and needing to cool down before shutting if off. Fuel usage isn't a concern, I just like it quiet sometimes.

My other question is about leaving the 3pt raised while the machine is parked for the day. Is it in any way harmful to leave the hitch up and my rototiller off the ground? My past practice has been to lower the implement after shutting the engine off and then pulling the rock shaft lever back so it raises at startup, but I would think it isn't real good for a cold engine to give it that initial load. I would like to say I can remember to lift the thing before backing out of the shed every time, but there have been a few times I didn't. It makes an awful noise! Now don't make fun of me - I'm getting to the age where I forget a lot of things lately. If it is parked longer than overnight I will drop the load but it doesn't seem to lower much on its own before the next day.

I am on my forth JD tractor (fifth if you count the X754) and I haven't ruined one yet with my bad habits, but I have taken a real liking to this new 2025R and want to treat it nicely.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would shut off the engine if it is going to sit for more than five (5) minutes. As for the rockshaft, lower the equipment before shutting off the engine. On restart, wait a few minutes before raising the rockshaft.

·
Registered
26,418 Posts
My past practice has been to lower the implement after shutting the engine off and then pulling the rock shaft lever back so it raises at startup, but I would think it isn't real good for a cold engine to give it that initial load.
Maybe just me but I wouldn’t like to do that. In my mind you are putting an extra load on the starter since the hydrualic pump is trying to work even when the engine is just starting.

The other issue - are you totally sure you don’t have any fingers or toes in the way? Or something else like a shovel leaning against the implement? That sudden movement could take a shovel handle or something else and slam it upside your head.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,460 Posts
I would shut off the engine if it is going to sit for more than five (5) minutes. As for the rockshaft, lower the equipment before shutting off the engine. On restart, wait a few minutes before raising the rockshaft.
This right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: farmer52 and gdow
1 - 4 of 4 Posts