Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
It sucks that the kid was hurt, and I hope he recovers; but it's the parents responsibility to know where their kids are. If that picture in the article is indeed the lawn tractor in question; it was pre-RIO (aka Lawyer-Switch) by the looks of it. What does the couple expect Deere to do as a result of this lawsuit; besides cough up money? Do they expect Deere to recall every pre-RIO lawn tractor out there to be retrofitted with a Lawyer-Switch? Then what, retrofit existing tractors with seat switches, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum. I hope the judge throws the case out.

We do not have kids or pets; therefore I've disabled the RIO switches on any lawn tractors I've owned. Using a simple jumper it can be put back to OEM condition in less than 10-minutes. If I had kids or pets; I'd weigh the pros and cons of disabling the switch based on the child's age and intellectual maturity, or whether the pet is a hyper ankle-biter type or a mellow old hound that only gets excited when the food bowl is filled.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I am very saddened that the child was harmed, but when did we give up our personal responsibility? :unknown:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
I am very saddened that the child was harmed, but when did we give up our personal responsibility? :unknown:
A long time ago. It's just becoming more prevalent now.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
The really sad part is the more and more safety devices that are added will not prevent these accidents. As you all have already noted it is the operators responsibility to operate safely.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
There is so much wrong with the situation.....

How could anyone be cutting grass and not see a kid playing? My head is on a swivel when cutting grass watching for everything, rocks, toys, animals, etc. But on top of that, what kid would let a screaming mower get within feet of them much less run over them. When my kids were real young they didn't like that much noise.

Of course this doesn't address how the adults should know exactly where their young child is and what is going on around the child

·
Registered
287 Posts
I hate to see anyone get hurt. I also hate when common sense is thrown out the window. In my opinion the there is no liability for John Deere here.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
That is sad.

A neighour of ours had that happen years ago. He was finished cutting and the blades were disengaged and was heading back to the shed when his daughter looked like she would want a ride. He picked her up on his lap to carry her back to the yard. There was a small strip of grass he missed in the centre of the road so without thinking he engaged the mower. As he did his daughter bounced off his knee and somehow got caught by the blades and cut her gut open. Thank God for air ambulance, she has since grown to a fine young lady. That moment still haunts him how he could have been so stupid, it only takes a moment. Oh, and he never blamed the mower either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This lawsuit will likely never see a courtroom. Litigation is so expensive; my guess is that Deere will settle.

I agree that it's really sad that a child was injured but come on, common sense says that a child has no business anywhere near a mower cutting grass. I make my kids stay far away because I fear a rock or walnut or whatever getting launched and hitting them, never mind the blades.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
DA should arrest the parents on child neglect charges. When did parents give up responsibility for their children? I don't have kids but if I did they would sure as hell would be inside while I was cutting the grass. As it is I keep my dogs in side while I cut the grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
DA should arrest the parents on child neglect charges. When did parents give up responsibility for their children? I don't have kids but if I did they would sure as hell would be inside while I was cutting the grass. As it is I keep my dogs in side while I cut the grass.
We did/do the same here. Kids, dogs....same thing as far as protecting them.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
It would be interesting to know more of the story. In my mind I can't imagine mowing near a kid. How do you even back over someone without knowing they are there? I'm also sad to hear about a kid getting hurt, but I don't even understand how the situation could happen in the first place. Knowing some details on how things played out and the age of the kid would help understand things a little better. At this point though I don't understand how this could happen without huge amounts of Operator neglect. There have been issues in our area where "elderly" people back up without looking. Stories anyway... Well even if this guy didn't look where he was backing wouldn't he have to drive past the kid first anyway? The only way to back over something without having driven past it first is if the kid was outside the garden shed when the grandpa backed out or he mows in reverse. Who backs out of the shed with the blades engaged? Anyone else have a theory?

There was an instructor in my High School who slipped and slid under a running mower and lost his heel. The whole story escapes me, but I remember he was running near someone mowing and slid under the deck and it took a chunk out of his heel. He lived to tell about it, but it was obvious that he still remembers it pretty clearly and it was a long time ago.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Knowing some details on how things played out and the age of the kid would help understand things a little better.
According to the article, the child was 3 years old.

And by the way, even if the blades aren't spinning, running over a 3 year old with a riding mower can cause significant damage. He shouldn't have been anywhere near that piece of machinery.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Oh I missed that. Wonder if the kid was chasing him then? Why a 3 year old was in the yard with a running mower is another question....

Is the 110 in the picture the actual mower? How old are 110's? How long can a company be held accountable for a design that's clearly well behind the curve? My first memories of a "riding tractor" were formed in the seat of mom and dad's 110. Great little machine. Not kid safe!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Oh I missed that. Wonder if the kid was chasing him then? Why a 3 year old was in the yard with a running mower is another question....

Is the 110 in the picture the actual mower? How old are 110's? How long can a company be held accountable for a design that's clearly well behind the curve? My first memories of a "riding tractor" were formed in the seat of mom and dad's 110. Great little machine. Not kid safe!

At 3 they are big enough to open, say, a screen door and run outside in an instant.

The grandfather probably thought the kid was inside and wasn't watching for him.

It's a tragic accident that could have been avoided, but the lawyers want to make their payday on it.

Maybe the family went to the lawyers first, but I'd be willing to bet they got a visit FROM a lawyer, immediately after news of the accident broke, willing to "take their case". It's their job, it's what they do. I think if it doesn't get booted entirely it will settle out of court. Lawyers win regardless.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

The square fender 110 was made from 1968 to 1974, with 1974 being the last year.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts