Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing the blower for the season and was having trouble sliding the coupler back to release the shaft from the rear PTO. In fact the coupler would not move and appeared to be in the unlocked position. When I finally got the shaft out I found that the coupler was stuck. I tried tapping it a few times but nothing doing, it's not moving. I don't want to pry on it. This is the first time it's been removed. This was dealer installed last fall and I'm believing that it was never moved into the locked position. Any suggestions on freeing the coupler?

Thanks in advance for any help

Rich

·
Registered
65 Posts
Spray coupler with WD40 then just work it back and forth while twisting it. you might have to use a large pliers .

·
Registered
664 Posts
Some couplers have a lock and will not move forward unless the Shaft is fully installed on the Male end of the PTO Shaft. Check if you can see through the splined end toward the U-Joints. If you can, you need to lubricate the coupling. If you see a flat metal plate, push on it and it should release the coupler. It can take some pressure to release so press hard. I normally use a 1/2" drive socket that will slip into the splines with no binding. You should keep the coupling well lubricated. I use EP Grease on the splines and the inside of the couplers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Kroil instead of WD40?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm in the PB Blaster Crowd having seen it do great things.
Never tried Kroil...but have heard great things.

On something like this, a light grade oil, like 0W20 or 3in1 may do well if you have a means of applying it.

Patience with it.. spray the stuff then go make a cup of coffee or your favorite beverage to enjoy before you try to get it apart :)

WD-40 works ok too if it's what you have on hand.

Once you have it apart and cleaned up, some SuperLube will keep it working a little better next time :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
SWEET!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good deal, glad you got it freed up. It's great when the solution is simple and cheap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts