Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of the year we always have a bit of trouble with cows and fences. We feed hay and supplement but the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence or something.

Right now we have 3 cows that want to go walkabout. They aren't wild, are perfectly willing to walk back to the gate and stand there and be let back in the pasture but it's a PITA when cows don't stay where they should.

Thursday afternoon, I took off work to see if I could see how they were getting out. I found a place in a high tensile fence that wasn't energized they were walking through. That fence is along some woods and it's tough to keep hot and we just hadn't heated it up. I added two strands of barbed wire to the existing smooth wire, added posts and generally tightened everything up. It's not exactly a rectangular field but for simplicity's sake, I'll say this was on the south side of the field and I added the wire across the entire width of the field. Just as I was putting tools away, here come our delinquents. They looked at my truck, looked at me and walked up about 6' feet from the fence. Cow eyed the fence and you could see cow brain working overtime. She didn't walk up to it but after a minute or so deliberately took a left turn and walked to the east side of the field which I had not worked on. She proceeded to walk through that fence. I ran her back through the fence and called her impolite names but it didn't do any good. This morning at 6:00 am all three cows were casually outside the fence.

Today I checked insulators, added a few posts, cut brush etc. from the east fence and put an energizer on it. It's a solar energizer so not terribly powerful but hopefully enough to convince the cows to stay home. As soon as possible the delinquents are going on a truck. We don't need smart cows, we need cows that will stay home.

Tree (and cow) farmer

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
We had these guys a couple years back. We brought them home as young two month old calves. Once off the trailer they both ran through three strands of barbed wire w/hot wire. We caught them, back in the pasture and they did it all over again.

IMG_4470.JPG

We called for help and got them home again . . . but this time I locked them in the barn. A week or so later I had a paddock re-fenced with 4' field fence. They stayed in there for a few weeks while we re-fenced the remainder of the property.

Expensive and time consuming but . . . haven't had one get out since.

IMG-0825.JPG

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Oh, btw . . .

I had a friend years ago that had goats. He swore the buck could smell when the hot wire was turned off . . . then he'd go through the barbed wires.

Just sayin' . . .

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,789 Posts
Oh, btw . . .

I had a friend years ago that had goats. He swore the buck could smell when the hot wire was turned off . . . then he'd go through the barbed wires.

Just sayin' . . .
I'm totally certain a horse can tell. I think the hair on their nose stands up or is affected.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I'm totally certain a horse can tell. I think the hair on their nose stands up or is affected.
I think they can smell it. I know that mine have associated the click of the charger cycling with it being on or off.

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
Ours are content :dunno: the only time they have gotten out is when some moron leaves the gate open. :lol: We also have a solar fencer that's actually pretty weak at times, spring to fall we constantly have to walk the fence to keep tree branches and weeds off of it.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I think they can smell it. I know that mine have associated the click of the charger cycling with it being on or off.

Yep, his name was Ron Kinder, a EE @ Tektronix. He was a bachelor and certainly lived like one.

Ron swore the buck could smell the 'ozone' given off by the electric charge going through the wire. :)unknown::unknown: That's above my 'pay-grade'.)

Ron drove an old green IH he called a 'corn-binder'. When I got in the ditch on the Chehalem Mtn we live on the side of, Ron volunteered to pull me out. Chains on all four, winch cable run across the road to a tree and then to the back of my 1964 Chev pickup. Ron knew how to do it, straight forward, no issue. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They know somehow

Our cows can tell. I don't know how but they can tell. Another odd thing is that young calves, like under a couple of weeks old seem immune to an electric fence. I've heard it's something about their hooves not being conductive for some reason but I really don't know. Possibly they just don't have an nervous system developed to feel it yet but whatever the reason they can walk right into a fence that's hot and show no sign of being bothered.

I like cows. I like seeing them, working them and having them around, except when they don't stay put. Trees fall over, get disease and have other problems but the only time they leave the farm is when humans are around. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The Grass is Aways Greener....

On the other side.
Treefarmer, Sounds like you need a hotter fencer. I have a 15 Joul one. It will make you think that you saw Jesus if you touch it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
On the other side.
Treefarmer, Sounds like you need a hotter fencer. I have a 15 Joul one. It will make you think that you saw Jesus if you touch it.
What brand?
We tried a few and Gallegar was the one of choice. Battery/solar or 110, they kept the cattle in, and could burn off a lot of grass load as well.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
It is a Zareba 200 mile 15 joule.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
I have heard the same thing that they can smell the ozone.

Solar. :treehugger: when will you guys learn.

The above emoji is by no means a put down to treefarmer. This is a gentle reminder that solar is no replacement for fossil fuels when real power is required.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

The above emoji is by no means a put down to treefarmer. This is a gentle reminder that solar is no replacement for fossil fuels when real power is required.
Gallager has some high powered DC ones, but they are close to 1000 bucks:cry:

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
More Power!

On the other side.
I would agree with that. We don't have electric current close to that area so we are using solar. I've eyed getting one of the line current units and running it off a battery and inverter.

What brand are you using. We had some Gallagher units but over time they've gradually crapped out and the new ones don't seem as good. I've heard Parmak (spelling) makes a good unit but they aren't for sale locally.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No fossil fuel powered close by

I understand. If we had line current powered by coal/natural gas/nuclear close to that area we would happily use a non solar unit. That would require a lot of wire from where we have current to where we need it. Even a super zapper is an issue where we have fence close to trees which is most of our fence. I can't imagine making a mistake and grabbing onto a wire with 15 joules behind it. A fraction of that is enough to get my attention and say words that I shouldn't, particularly if I'm well grounded.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I have a solar powered ParMak that pushes over 3 joules, it'll jump a spark at the far end of the run that will make you stand up and pay attention. I don't want one with more power...I'm too incautious to keep from getting shocked.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Gallager has some high powered DC ones, but they are close to 1000 bucks:cry:
Worth. Every. Penny.

I would agree with that. We don't have electric current close to that area so we are using solar. I've eyed getting one of the line current units and running it off a battery and inverter.

What brand are you using. We had some Gallagher units but over time they've gradually crapped out and the new ones don't seem as good. I've heard Parmak (spelling) makes a good unit but they aren't for sale locally.

Treefarmer
Ok, maybe they have gone down hill?
We're still rocking the ones we bought 25+ years ago, and no issues!

I still remember when we got a new pasture, we were re-doing all the fence from (junk) barb wire to 2 strand electric with a ground.
As we were finishing up the last of it, dad asked me to grab a wire and drag it over to finish the cross fence, assuring me the fencer was off.
I did... and it wasn't. He said I flew back about 5 feet when the shock hit!

Once I got my wits about me, I tested it, laying on the ground. Digital tester showed a 9.9 (max reading)! They say a 3.0 will keep in snoopy beef cattle. (we generally tried for a 5.0)

That was after running through enough miles of wire to cover 80 acres plus 2 cross fences!
Granted it was all new, but that still some mileage!

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,674 Posts
So far I haven't had my cows cross my exterior fence in to neighboring properties. They do however like to go through cross fencing within our property.

I think it's a constant battle to stay ahead of the fence issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts