Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a tree stump last week, and bent a blade on my 54" mmm. Had new blades ordered, and put them on. The right blade still wasn't level. It was about a half inch higher than the middle blade when I would spin the blades around to see if they align. It is also off on various locations as you measure its height compared to the other two. The middle and left blades are consistently at the same height.

So, I took the deck off and took apart the right spindle. Found a crack in it. The bearings and shaft in the middle seem straight, and it doesn't vibrate, but I am replacing it due to the crack. Hopefully that is the leveling issue.

This is an image of how the right and middle blade align. Better now that I took it apart and re assembled, but still off.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hopefully the deck itself isn't bent!!

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
157 Posts
If catching a blade on a stump (didn't even hit the deck itself) is enough to bend these decks, then somebody needs to go back to the drawing board!
I agree these decks are not as heavy as people think. I had a simplicity with a 60 inch deck that weighed about 125 more pounds it was on a 4041.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Good eye catching that Crack, it would have likely gotten worse, hopefully it doesn't set you back too much. I wouldn't worry too much about the deck being bent unless it looked visibly warped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good eye catching that Crack, it would have likely gotten worse, hopefully it doesn't set you back too much. I wouldn't worry too much about the deck being bent unless it looked visibly warped.
It is around $50 for a replacement spindle, so not too bad. Just need to shop around for the best price!

If the deck is bent, I can't see it. It sure looks straight to me.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I straightened a neighbors Simplicity deck by putting a long bar in the spindle bearings and bending the sheet metal back into position. I kept bending until the blades all lined up and ran straight. She had hit a stake or pipe in the yard while mowing. You may have to do the same after you fix the broken items. Good luck.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,870 Posts
If catching a blade on a stump (didn't even hit the deck itself) is enough to bend these decks, then somebody needs to go back to the drawing board!
I bent the deck on our 1994 Wheel Horse last year when a blade caught a rock as it has many other times. The spindle was fine. Metal fatigue takes its toll, eventually.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appears it's only available as a complete assembly with hub, bearings, arbor and attaching bolts as OEM. Hang onto the original arbor as it may be useful as a spare.

John Deere Spindle AM144377

It appears aftermarket parts are also available: Spindle Assembly Replaces John Deere AM144377 AM131680 AM135349 AM124498 | eBay
That's what I found also. Bought the entire assembly. Will keep the used one as a spare. I always keep spare parts!! Never know when they will be needed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing spindle on 1025R with 60D deck

Does anyone have instructions or link on how to remove and replace a spindle on a JD 1025R tractor with 60D deck? Part number AM144425/AM141985. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Does anyone have instructions or link on how to remove and replace a spindle on a JD 1025R tractor with 60D deck? Part number AM144425/AM141985. Thanks.
Below is the parts breakdown. The spindle housing unbolts from the deck housing and then you can disassemble the spindle on a workbench.

Attachments

Reactions: mikdor and JD4044M

·
Super Moderator
2,472 Posts
Maybe this will help also. Found this in the mower deck OP manual.

Replacing Sheaves

OMLVU25573_A2a9.jpg.jpeg

MX47280

Picture Note: 54D mower shown.

OMLVU25573_A215.jpg.jpeg

MX47281

Picture Note: 60D mower shown.

1. Remove spring (A) to relieve belt tension.

2. If necessary, remove left or right drive-over ramp (B) with shield.

3. To remove sheave(s):

• 54D mower: Remove center bolt (C) on sheave(s) to be replaced.

• 60D mower: Remove six bolts (D) on sheave(s) to be replaced.

4. Replace sheave(s) and secure with original hardware

5. Replace drive-over ramp(s) if removed.

Reactions: mikdor and JD4044M

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
There really is no technical manual for the 60D mmm, just the installation manual which shows basic things.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't know how many stumps and rocks I have hit with the 54" deck on my 445 and have never broke a spindle. Bent the blades, sheet metal etc, but never the spindle. I have replaced the spindles over the years due to bearing or seal failure and I am now shopping for some newer deck to replace the 54". If it totally fails, I have the 54" for the 1026R I can use, though after the first year I have not used it. I prefer the Bruch Hog on the 1026R and use the 445 for most of the rest of the yard. I will say I have never adjusted the deck for level as my old cow pasture yard would not notice the difference. Now if I lived in suburbia and had to make the lawn look good, I would move.:laugh:

Reactions: keane and Gizmo2
1 - 20 of 21 Posts