Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a fully stocked tool chest I'm not exactly "in the market" but in my latest craftsman club flyer these peaked my interest...i've seen the wrenches they offer but does any body have any real world experience with the new line of Craftsman "Universal" Wrenches and Socket?
And I was just about to order a few square sockets from SnapOn....:munch:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I have noticed that Sears is continually coming up with new gimmicks. Not sure how well these would work myself. But, I did buy a complete set of Snap-on square sockets. They are great, don't use them a lot but they are nice when you have a need for them.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed that Sears is continually coming up with new gimmicks. Not sure how well these would work myself. But, I did buy a complete set of Snap-on square sockets. They are great, don't use them a lot but they are nice when you have a need for them.:thumbup1gif:
I'm a VERY Skeptical guy when it comes to "Seen on TV Gimmicks"...The only thing that lends a slight glimmer of hope is they're Craftsman.

I bought alot of Snap On and MAC specialty tools when I was working at the dealership, it was easy...SnapOn truck came every Tuesday morning and MAC was there Wednesday...Not too long ago I busted the magnet out of one of the shanks on my ratcheting screwdriver...talk about a PITA chasing the SnapOn truck all around town, etc... Since then I've drifted towards Crafstman because of ease...
I just wish ONE of the tool trucks had a brick & mortar store around...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean about the gimmicks, I too am very skeptical on these things. I think it is a marketing thing to get you to buy more tools. I bought my square sockets here:

http://www.snapon.com/

A bit pricey though.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Sears on line sells some 8 point sockets. I don't use that site becuase the search engine is terrible- no advanced search. So a search on "8 pt. socket sets" gives you all the socket sets, and I didn't see an 8 pointer but there were lots of pages.

I've had my Craftsmen 8 pt's since I got my tools in the 70's. Don't use them much, but when you need them it beats the heck out of rounding off the bolt or plug. Also seems like the ratchets don't hold up "like they used to" (and I'm not getting any stronger with time...).

Used to be the Sears store had decent hardware selection, the two around here have been cut back in size. So once you have a reasonable basic assortment going to the store to fill out the "odd pieces" isn't an option. It also seems like it's getting harder and harder to find 6 point stuff. The attraction of the Horror Freight and Northern is the size of the selection, even though their sets all allways missing a few sizes you then have to buy separately.

As for universal sockets, the cost of sockets is low enough that it's easier to just have all the sizes, the 6 pt availability not withstanding.

They are opening a new big mall thing ("Tanger outlets"?) here. Looked at the store list on line, there isn't a thing in 60+ stores that interest me. A snap on "outlet" store or Agra Supply next to that would do well.

Pete

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
I hardly buy anything at Sears anymore...the tool are sure not like they used to be, and they are much more stingy about replacements also. I do have an older set of Sears 8 points as well-I even won a bet with a friend who had never heard of them before!

Bottom line for me I don't want a "universal" tool or socket, I want the proper one for the job. Sounds like crap to me.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Sounds like a Black & Decker, or Ryobi, or Rockler gimmick to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts