Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I were talking the other day about the high priced junk that is listed on Craigslist on a daily basis. I always get a kick out of browsing the Farm & Garden section to see the abused and neglected mowers and tractors and the descriptions.

Here is one I caught today which is described as "barely used" but "has been sitting outside". But it has "new blades"! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Such a deal !!!!

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
I also noticed the bald front tires. My JD 285 took 1000 hours to wear out the front tires and I know it's heavier than that one.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I'm read to buy

Such a deal !!!!
I'm ready to pick it up, just need directions. . .

Oops, I already have a lawnmower, never mind.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
And the posts that say "used twice" or "worn twice" You have to be kidding me! Craigslist can bu fun, but what a minefield.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've seen items for sale that I would have chunked in the trash with out thinking twice about. Like one spatula, that looks like they found it laying in the yard and are asking 5 bucks. Do they really thinks someone wants it? :eek:hmy:

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen items for sale that I would have chunked in the trash with out thinking twice about. Like one spatula, that looks like they found it laying in the yard and are asking 5 bucks. Do they really thinks someone wants it? :eek:hmy:
My favorite is the mowers that are shown sitting surrounded by knee-high weeds with the description of "runs and cuts good". I mean, if that were true wouldn't you think they would have mowed the weeds or at least moved the mower to a spot where the grass had been cut prior to taking the photo for Craigslist?

My second favorite is how almost every mower and attachment has been wet-down with the garden hose prior to the photo. My brother recently went to look at a used JD X-series mower and when he got there it was dry and he commented to the seller how unusual it was to find something that had not been sprayed with the hose. :)

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
First time for everything

I've both bought and sold on CL and except for one guy who promised to hold a trailer until I could get there, it's been ok. I'm met people and not bought their stuff and some have not bought my stuff but the transaction was civil anyway.

I'd heard about real A------s on CL but until today, hadn't met one. That changed today. We needed some pallets at work and I found a "veteran" owned company that advertised pallets. Cool, so I called the number. I told the guy I needed pallets without broken boards and asked him for a delivered price. He quoted $500 delivered which was higher than the price of new pallets so I asked what was the cost if I picked them up. He quoted $1/pallet and said it would take a few days to get them together. That was a low price but he's getting paid to take them to the dump anyway so I figured ok. If he's a stand up guy we can use X number per month and we have an employee that works that area anyway. The employee can pick them up on his way back and even if the price is $4-5/pallet, it's ok. But since it was CL, I wanted to meet the guy first and make sure it was legitimate. He required payment on Paypal and I sent him the money because it was only $50 and I wanted to see if he was legitimate.

First bad sign, last week he tells me any day this week. The text conversation went like this: I'm in italics
Fine, I can do Monday.
Nope- he can't do Monday.
What about Tuesday?
Nope, can't do Tuesday.
What about Wednesday?
Sure, any time.
I can be there before noon.
Ok.
Last night i texted him to confirm and he said he had physical therapy between 9:30 and 12 but I could just pick up the pallets.
I'll wait until after 12 because I'm not comfortable just picking up stuff without the owner present.
Well, there will be a contractor there and I'll be back by 1:00.
I'll be there at 1.

Sure enough, I was there at 1, he wasn't there so I called him. He said he would be back in 10 minutes and to start loading the pallets. I set one aside because it had a broken board. When he showed up he started to put that pallet on my trailer and I told him I didn't want that one.

From then on, he went off. I took it for a few minutes and loaded about 15 pallets figuring he would shut up. After a couple of minutes, I told him to keep the rest of his pallets, strapped down what I had and left. The whole time I was strapping down the pallets he's saying crap, including that he would call the cops because there was no tarp on my trailer. (It's not required. It's required to secure the load but a tarp is not specifically required in Va.) I couldn't resist pointing out that his trailer was unlicensed with an aftermarket Farm Use tag. That is legal in Virginia but only for very, very specific uses and hauling junk for resale isn't one of the legal uses.

My apologies to all the wonderful veterans out there but this guy either had PTSD or just a bad case of ASS---ITIS. I'm just really happy I didn't send an employee.

So, my first really bad experience with a CL seller. Might not be the worst thing in the world but it sure wasted an afternoon.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
487 Posts
I buy and sell stuff on Craigslist.

Never really had an issue. Not at least that was attributable to CL.

There are decent people out there, the majority and there are some real dandies.
Some of both use CL.

Not much else to use for selling stuff.
Add in the paper? pay, and wait, once the item is gone its still in the paper and your still getting calls, no thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts