Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased this toothbar off of craigslist. I was planning to build one, however my cost to build or buy this one was really close, so I opted to buy. Only problem is this bar is for a 60" bucket, I have a 62" bucket. Should I weld on shims on either end or just use washers?

I am opting for washers but ultimately know it would be correct to have plates burned out.

View attachment 173234

View attachment 173242

View attachment 173250

This was just a test fit, I was out working and couldnt resist sitting it on the bucket.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Give it a whirl

I would probably find cut a piece of pipe to fit between the bracket and the sides of the bucket. Fill in with washers. Or just use washers all the way until you are sure you like the bar. If it's a keeper you can do something more permanent. If you weld, another option would be to cut the bar, add an inch between two teeth and put it back together.

I couldn't open the links so don't know exactly what you are working with.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
If you have a torch setup how about heating the ears to make 2 bends to bring the mounting holes in line with the side of the bucket. Any forward force is on the teeth where they meet the bucket edge. The only real thing the mounting bolts do is hold the bar in place when back dragging or dumping.

·
Super Moderator
7,909 Posts
Washers, shims, nuts, collars............or anything else needed to take up the space between the side brackets and bucket sides. Don't worry too much about it. Keep it simple. :good2:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,403 Posts
So I purchased this toothbar off of craigslist. I was planning to build one, however my cost to build or buy this one was really close, so I opted to buy. Only problem is this bar is for a 60" bucket, I have a 62" bucket. Should I weld on shims on either end or just use washers?

I am opting for washers but ultimately know it would be correct to have plates burned out.

This was just a test fit, I was out working and couldnt resist sitting it on the bucket.
I would probably make a shims, drill the bolt holes than weld them in place to the tool bar...........But I guess
heavy grade 8 washers as spacers would do the "quick" trick too, wouldn't be as pretty though.:laugh:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a torch setup how about heating the ears to make 2 bends to bring the mounting holes in line with the side of the bucket. Any forward force is on the teeth where they meet the bucket edge. The only real thing the mounting bolts do is hold the bar in place when back dragging or dumping.
This may just work. I like this solution. Thanks coaltrain.

Thanks everyone else for the replies. If I dont attempt the heating/bending I will most likey go with washer.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Spacer

I would make two spacers on a lathe and thread them, nice, tight and neat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts