Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 7558 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought someone else was going to start this thread, but either he didn't, :nunu: or I didn't find it. :crazy:

Here is my last bovine. I was going to name him T-bone, but then had sirloin, and hamburger too. Trouble is, I couldn't remember which one I named what, so his name is "Hereford". He will either be going in the freezer, or being sold at market. The plan is the freezer, but if he decides he doesn't want to honor the fences, I won't keep him that long. He has decided I am a neat "playmate", and will run towards me bucking and acting like a calf. While it is cute and fun, I also know the risks of having 650-700 pounds (and growing) as a plaything/pet, so we'll see how long he gets to stay around.

Attachments

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is my oldest mare. She is a retired Quarter Horse racer, as well as retired broodmare. She is 28 years old, so this is her life now.

Attachments

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the last foal that I raised. I was hoping to do a little Barrel Racing with her, but a vehicle wreck ended that plan for me. I may get back to riding more this summer, since I returned to being horseback a few weeks ago, for the first time in 10 years! She and I will both need to get into better shape, if we ever plan to do more than walk around the pasture!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
lacey3.jpg

lacey5.jpg

This is Lacey. She's a 17 year old TN walking horse. We got her from a local horse rescue. When they took her in there was a high likelihood she would be put down. She has a back problem that resulted in her having some trouble with her rear legs, and she would walk in a 'scissor' pattern. She had a hard time walking, and trouble standing. After working with a vet and farrier, she moves just fine but due to her back trouble she can't be ridden.

She's the sweetest, nicest horse I've ever met. Super alert, she spends a lot of time standing and watching wildlife in the hay ground and woods. She has been extensively trained somewhere along the way. She knows several show tricks, but the only one she's really consistent with now is asking for food. :laugh: At feeding time, she'll wait at her bowl with one front leg held up in the air.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
DSC01264.JPG

DSC01678.JPG

miatongue 9-29-12.jpg

This is Mia. She also came from the local rescue. When they took her in, she had a colt with her. He was adopted by another lady, we chat and swap pictures every once in a while. The photos of them when they were picked up are simply astonishing. You would swear she's not the same horse. The same can be said for Lacey, but Mia's pictures are a bit more shocking because her colt was in such bad shape as well.

The first few times I tried to ride her, it didn't go well. Nothing frightening, no bucking or kicking or anything like that. She just didn't understand what I wanted her to do. She had the general gist of it, forward, backward, etc but you could tell we weren't on the same page. The better half grew up riding English, and carried her down to a friend's arena. We soon figured out why Mia and I weren't clicking- she's trained English. She responded beautifully, right down to doing an absolutely perfect full pass. So again, I wind up without a rideable horse. :laugh:

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my newest horse. He is a 17.2 hand, retired TB racer. He has EPSM, and cannot use sugars in is diet, or he has massive spasms. Hence, he is now mine. He is 8 years old, and he is the most recent horse that I have ridden. You'd think after being almost crippled in a truck wreck, and being off of horses for so long, I'd have started back on something a little shorter! But hey, y'all already know that I am crazy!

This guy is a gentle giant, and has the neatest mind and attitude, that I fell in love with him! I've known him 5 years, and while I didn't need another mouth to feed, much less, such a large one, I couldn't say "No", when he was offered to me. He really enjoys being ridden, but grazing is his FAVORITE thing to do!

Attachments

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is the last of the livestock pics, for me, at this time. This is my old donkey. I've had him over 20 years. He came to me as a 2 year old Jack, that was already foundered. I had a wild idea that he might make a nice "teaser" for checking for mares in heat. (I had used a Shetland stallion for that previously.) Well, he was MUCH harder to deal with than the Shetland, in the same situations, so he quickly became gelded! I don't run the horse breeding operation anymore, so mares and geldings are all that I have.

He is slow to shed out, this year, but he was the only one didn't need special attention, such as blanket or sheds with our late freezes. Will get pics when he looks less shabby!

Attachments

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a couple of lap dogs too, only they are more sofa hounds!

You don't see Boykins every day! He is very pretty!

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That raccoon is just too cute. I finally got around to reading the thread about it, recently. Neat stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Just wish he would come home earlier for cookies ! I am tired of getting up in the middle of the night to feed him. LOL

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what was on my Christmas cards that I sent out last December!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
Dynamite:

Dynamite 12DEC12 001.JPG

and, Dynamite with his doggles:

Dynamite and Doggles 003.JPG

and, Dynamite with Bella the greyhound and Missy the cat:

Dogs and Missy 001.JPG

Dogs are both rescues, Dynamite from a local rescue organization and Bella from Racing Greyhound rescue. As you can see, Bella takes her retirement very seriously. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
How does he wake you up?
We put a cookie in a dog dish on back deck. Stand a 6x6 block of wood on top of it. When we hear the block drop I either go chase off other raccoons or let him in. He used to eat the cookie but he has learned its a method to get me up. So he just knocks over the block and stands at the slider waiting for me to come down.

I let him in and he walks through kitchen to the garage door and waits for me to open the door so he can go to garage for cookies. Cindy has cookies in a dish waiting on the kitchen counter for me to grab as I go into garage. He apparantly has figured out where I am getting the cookies because the last 3 nights he walks on his back legs as he goes by the counter so he can see if the cookies are there. He never stops and heads straight to the garage door but he is looking as he goes by !

I think I am going to put a temporary door bell on the back deck and teach him how to ring it. Yes, he really is that smart.

·
Premium Member
7,227 Posts
No pets at Casa Lemon; but here are some critter pictures I took of wildlife inside (unwelcome) and outside the place. No mice photos because after you've seen one mouse, you've seen them all.

Attachments

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a "pet" squirrel when I lived in Colorado! She knew when my car got home that I had brought her packages of peanus off of the flight series! I couldn't get the front door open fast enough for her to get in, and then she was even more impatient with me for taking so long to get the peanut packets from my bag and opened for her!

If one put peanuts on window ledges outside, and the magpies found them before the squirrels, they would fly in and get them! I always loved watching them, as it wasn't something I saw in my area of Texas!

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Critters

Not mine, but I pay the rent/board, daughter's dressage horse and mini horse.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 7558 Posts