Green Tractor Talk banner

7721 - 7738 of 7738 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
We have livestock and pets. Rattlers here are aggressive. This one parked herself right near the house and was a threat. Ask my neighbor who was bitten last year out of nowhere and spent days in the hospital. No thanks - see a rattler, get the 12 gauge.
She was after rats likely not you. I'd rather have snakes than rats anyday

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
We have livestock and pets. Rattlers here are aggressive. This one parked herself right near the house and was a threat. Ask my neighbor who was bitten last year out of nowhere and spent days in the hospital. No thanks - see a rattler, get the 12 gauge.
I approve of your handling the situation in that manner. I do the same around here after my dogs were bit and the vet bills were a hardship. There are plenty of other less dangerous snakes around here to eat the rodents!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I approve of your handling the situation in that manner. I do the same around here after my dogs were bit and the vet bills were a hardship. There are plenty of other less dangerous snakes around here to eat the rodents!
chuckle...you need to get a smarter dog.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
These two are the newest additions to The Homestead. They’re adorable!

Sincerely

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Fair point.
I always let snakes pass when mowing, but my wife thinks I should slice and dice them.
Like i mentioned as a kid i had an opportunity to get close to them with expert guidance and began to see there value. In new developments in suburbia quickly filled with city folks that want to live in the country but don't wish to be bothered much with wildlife so the first thing is to kill off the snakes. When i was hardly more than a toddler they developed the hundreds of acres around us and it seemed all the snakes ended up under our house as well as turtles of about twenty pound size. The local zoo had lots of the turtles and people always said the ones that showed up in our yard were escapes from the zoo. They weren't they were a species of land turtle indigenous to the area but back then no one ever gave a thought to anything but the rape of the lands for monetary gain. Wasn't untill about twenty years later i discovered they were native and that was because i found a smashed one on a jeep trail. That area was part of a huge grassland tract owned by Areojet General corporation on which they developed rocket fuels and engines. The jeep trail made from an old indian trail was on land adjacent to the AGC's huge tract, must be thirty square miles absolutely closed to the public and i believe still is. I've often wondered if there are any more out there...................................I kept one as a kid for a pet for a while but it just died....sad

I wish we would be more understanding towards the other wild things we share our world with

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Bacon...

3025e, FEL, iMatch, Bush hog, Box blade, Grooming mower, Pallet forks, Hitch receiver.
Bacon?...kinda small for that aint he? be great for roasted whole Hawaiian style

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yeah, a little on the small side but good eating nonetheless. It’s not unusual for me to spot 200-300# hogs on my property so I’m usually flush with bacon.
I understand they can do a lot of damage? I do know of one organic farmer that started selling pork bacon sausage processed in a certified butcher shop. For years he had complained about the hogs damaging his crops and i guess he finally found away to control the situation and get even. Those animals multiply very rapidly

·
Registered
265 Posts
They do and it’s a nightmare. Had a group of 25-30 come through rooting up my driveway to where it was I passable with a car or my truck. Thank goodness I have the tractor. They’re very destructive. The good news is once you shoot one in the middle of the pack, they move on at least for a while.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is the entrance to the shooting range I carved out in the woods - it was completely smooth before they invaded. They can root up an enormous amount of space in a very short time.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
This is the entrance to the shooting range I carved out in the woods - it was completely smooth before they invaded. They can root up an enormous amount of space in a very short time.
Sounds like you guys have a serious problem. Fortunately on the west coast i know of no area as over run with hogs as what you describe. We are fortunate to have mountain lions which i think help keep them in check.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Went out the back door a bit ago and found a happy snake and unhappy toad. Took him about 2hrs to fully work the toad in.

Walking around the House I then ran into a Robbins nest on the drain next to the front porch.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Went out the back door a bit ago and found a happy snake and unhappy toad. Took him about 2hrs to fully work the toad in.
View attachment 740846

Walking around the House I then ran into a Robbins nest on the drain next to the front porch.
View attachment 740848
That garter snake won't be eating again for maybe two months. Snakes don't eat very many meals in a year they arent energy hoggs like us and other mammals.
Nice pictures.

7721 - 7738 of 7738 Posts