Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my driveway is all uphill, I got the box blade out and was going to level everything out to prepare for some gravel. I was thinking a crown isn't necessary since the run off just goes down gill and slants off to the side. Thoughts?
Do I still need a crown?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
Either all slants one way or the other - or a crown. You'll want to keep your new gravel in place and not find it at the bottom of the driveway.
What he said! :laugh: The one thing you don't want is the runoff running down the driveway itself.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Longitudinal (along the drive/down the hill) or transverse (across the drive) sheet flow is usually sufficient for a 10’ driveway. The only issue as stated above, if the hill pulls the water down the drive before it can run off the side of the drive it may carry some of your gravel with it down the hill.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well over the years we haven't had a problem with the gravel running down the bottom. I'd like to try to keep the gravel out of the neighbors yard (to either side of the gravel). I guess I'll keep a small crown as there's a slight one more to the top.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a crown. As compacted as it looks before you started grading it, I didn't see where you had issues with the water washing away the gravel? You could take out the crown, fill in the ruts and roll it back in. As steep as it is the water will drain and unless you get a gully washer the gravel will stay. I didn't see where you live, but do you have to plow it? Just wondering cuz with a crown and ruts from driving on it must make it a little difficult to clean all the snow off?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Not knowing your soil type and ability to absorb or run off, I'd want to crown because of a two-track developing on the drive may tend to trough water if you got a real big down pour.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grading went well forgot a picture after it. The driver said she couldn't pour and drive since her truck didn't have a pto for it. Although I've seen another do a fairly good job without. But the worse part was that she dumbed the most rock not even near the top. The tractor had trouble moving rock up the hill.

Overall it went well okay. There were times I felt I could never get it smooth but I adjusted the box blade and played around with it. Now it's pretty smooth.
As I drive over it for the past week I'm noticing small mounts I can just shave off.

Great experience though!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts