Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used crushed concrete for their driveway? In my area white rock is $32 a ton while crushed concrete varies between $16 to $19 a ton.
My driveway is over 400 feet long and less than 2 years old. The bottom base is 3 inch white rock with 1 1/2 white rock over it. Since winter is almost over it is shown a bunch of bare areas where the rock has sunken into the mud.
Just wondering if crushed concrete is worth the savings since it is cheaper than rock?

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
I have 4,000 square feet of crushed concrete for our driveway. I put it in in 2010 using my tractor and the help of neighbors (we did theirs at the same time), and I haven't touched it since. It doesn't crack, heave or buckle, and compacts very well. It's easy to repair if necessary too. Just make sure you get plenty of fines to lock the larger 'rocks' into place, and a mix of rock sizes; otherwise you'll be driving on marbles. The compactor I used is oversized; but I got a good deal on it as the rental company didn't have the smaller one they promised available.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Crushed concrete makes for a great driveway. :good2:
I have a lot of it on mine.
Just make sure you check for little piece of rebar and mat wire that may get past the magnets of the crusher. It happens. :dunno:

·
Registered
610 Posts
At our last house we had a crushed concrete drive and it held up great. I asked the guy that's been hauling my crusher road base and crushed granite about concrete and I think he said it was more expensive than what I'm using. Crushed (ground?) asphalt was another option but that was also more expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,299 Posts
I have a 22 year old driveway I built that never ruts out. I put down what we call Pit Run rocks and a sand based old river bed stuff about 8+ inches thick and had the dump trucks drive on it full each time before dumping there loads. I would wet it down between loads with a fire hose. Then I topped it with about 4" go 5/8" Minus Crushed Rock with fines and did the same thing. All I ever do is grade it each year in the spring after the thaw to make it pretty again. Need some new rock this year that JD with a blade behind it can move some rock with the snow. I will reclaim it when my snow pile melts soon? Spent a lot in the beginning but it was also a one time deal for me and crush rock costs more now to buy. Need about 20 yards to make it pretty for the Wife and Daughter they always look funny when I want to grade the driveway gravel and a little pit run shows? One nice thing the 4044M can grade going up my drive way and the MF135 ran out of guts near the top. So I will move more stuff back to the top of the drive again this year, I have bladed mostly down hill over the years because of this.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Crushed concrete makes a great non paved driveway. As long as you get some fines in it and compact it wet, it’ll last until you tire of it and then some.

My ~700’ of Drive is all crushed concrete aside from what I’ve scraped out and poured in concrete.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you need to get some equipment compact the crushed concrete? I was planning to have it dumped and spread out on the driveway. I figured it would eventually get packed down driving over it all summer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Do you need to get some equipment compact the crushed concrete? I was planning to have it dumped and spread out on the driveway. I figured it would eventually get packed down driving over it all summer.
It will eventually pack down but have the driver with the last load or two drive over the spread out material a few times (after you work it level.) Not as good as a compactor but good enough.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Crushed (ground?) asphalt was another option but that was also more expensive.
At the time I redid our driveway crushed concrete and crushed asphalt were the same per ton price. The crushed concrete replaced the crushed asphalt driveway the builder put in. I despised the asphalt; because it still tracked in small amounts of tar and oil into the garage and house.

A riding vibratory compactor is easy to operate and fun. You can compact a driveway in 4 - 8 hours depending on square footage and obstacles.

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
That will just pack down the two tire tracks, not the entire width evenly. Rent the compactor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to have one 13 ton load dumped off tomorrow morning. I'm probably going to need 2 or 3 more loads after that. But I'm going to wait to see how I like before I spend the money to do the rest of the drive. They offered 3 different sizes of crushed concrete. I went with the smallest (3/4" minus)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I needed ten 14 ton loads of crushed granite to do about 600' of 14' wide driveway. I was planning on 4" depth but I was nowhere skilled enough to maintain 4". Eight loads should have been enough for a good operator but that's not me :dunno:.

After about a month of traffic on my drive, it's very well packed down. I have a large dumpster truck that comes every two weeks to empty my dumpster - he's doing a great compaction job.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
I'm going to have one 13 ton load dumped off tomorrow morning. I'm probably going to need 2 or 3 more loads after that. But I'm going to wait to see how I like before I spend the money to do the rest of the drive. They offered 3 different sizes of crushed concrete. I went with the smallest (3/4" minus)
13-tons won't go as far you think. As I recall I put down about 130-tons, which was far cheaper than poured concrete or hot asphalt. If memory serves right, we spent about $2,500 - $3,000 back in 2010 on materials and machinery rentals. A poured concrete driveway would have been about $20,000 based on $5 a square foot materials and labor.

I sure hope there are plenty of fines in that load; otherwise you'll be driving and walking on marbles.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The crushed concrete will work fine. We used it all the time in Colorado for drives on jobs its or pads for construction sheds and trailers. Packs in well and easy to maintain.

Like Kenny said you definitely want a roller to get it all evenly compacted.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I pay about $10 ton for 3/4" granite but I pick it up in my dump trailer, about 5 ton at a time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Crushed granite around here is $360 for 14 tons delivered, the quarry/crusher will deliver for probably a bit less but I've got a great guy I can text when I need a load. He's completely dependable so I don't mind paying a little extra for him.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I used crushed concrete as a driveway base then # 2 runner crush on top with the fiber mess on the bottom.The concrete broke down and had to build it back up with stone.For me it wasn't worth it.It was the newest thing in 98.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The load of crushed concrete that was dumped was mostly all powder. I requested 3/4 minus, the smallest size. I figured it would of been mixed in with small pieces of concrete. Maybe next time ask for 3/4 plus.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts